Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
I can't seem to decide which MacBook Air I want to order lol. I can't decide if I want the 11-inch with 4GB of RAM or the 13-inch with 4GB of RAM. I played with both in the Apple store and I really liked the form factor of the 11-inch. The 13-inch just seemed to big. Maybe that was because the 11-inch MacBook Air's were right beside it. I used to have a MacBook Pro 15-inch, so I don't know why the 13-inch Air's seemed so darn big. Although, my brain is telling me the 13-inch is more practical, but its also telling me to save the money. I guess what gets me is the $999 price point or $1089 with 4GB of RAM (I am in Canada, this is with the ED discount). However, I don't think 64GB is enough for me.

I'm kind of worried about the screen size of the 11-inch, but that's not my biggest concern. I love the size of the 11-inch MacBook Air and I think it would compliment my iMac quite nicely, but again, I think the 13-inch is more practical. What I am also worried about is the processing horsepower of the 11-inch Air. 1.4GHz seems measly when compared to today's standards. I mean if I up the machine to 1.6GHz and 4GB of RAM, the 13-inch with 4GB of RAM is essentially the same price. When the Air's were first launched I wanted the 11-inch. Partly because it was a new product and partly because of the price. I've been to the Apple store 4 times now playing with these things and I just can't figure it out lol.

I also like that the 13-inch has an SD card reader. I mean at one point I was set on the 13-inch model, but then I keep flip-flopping. This machine would be a secondary machine, and I would use it at school, while at my girlfriend's house, at a friends etc... Basically when I am not home I will need this Air. Now I am thinking that the 13-inch will be the way to go. Lol, I have never had this much trouble deciding on something before.

What do I do? 11-inch with 4GB of RAM and 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, or base 13-inch with 4GB of RAM?

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Sounds like you have quite a challenge on your hands... :)

I chose the 13" with 4GB ram, simply because I plan to use it for about 18 months, and I like a larger display.

The 11" is simply too small for me, yet perfect for many.

AT the end of the day only _you_ know what's best for your usage. Think usage and you will be fine.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Welcome to my world... along with a number of others here. To me the 13" is the right way to go... that's what I bought in fact (2GB base though). But man I went to the Apple store again last night and I really want the 11". There's just something about it.

But when you do the math the 13" just makes sense.

Better resolution
Bigger screen
Sd slot
128 GB (to 64 GB for base 11")
Better battery life
Faster processor

For $300 that's a steal to me.

But I still want the 11". My Apple store said they'd waive the restocking fee if I change my mind... I still don't know what to do.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Fell your pain!

I had the same dilema last week, ended up with the 11"--2g, 128 mg hard drive. love it so far and it doesnt seem too small and that was my biggest fear! On the plane its fabulous, firts perfectly. The 13 just seems way too big! big is out, small is in!

jw6961

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I was in the same boat as you... I spent 2 days playing with both the 11 and 13 inch MBA. Although I really liked the form factor of the 11", I just couldn't get used to how small the screen was. I also couldn't quite get used to the 16:9 apect ratio on the 11" model. Plus, I noticed that most people using the 11" models were hunched over the table, and most people using the 13" models weren't...

For me, it came down to either getting a cute 11" model with 4GB of ram and a 1.6, or a 13" model with 1.8 and 4GB of ram, a higher resolution display & an SD card reader for the same price. I knew that after the first week or so, the novelty of the 11" machine would probably wear off and I'd be looking back wishing I had gotten a larger screen with better resolution, faster processor and SD card reader.

So, after much consideration and hours spent on both machines, I opted for the 13" with the 1.8 GHz and 4GB of ram. I ordered it online on 10/31 and just got the shipping notification this morning.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
you should try small first!!

I am not sure why folks who are torn dont try the small one first then if too small change up!!!

Welcome to my world... along with a number of others here. To me the 13" is the right way to go... that's what I bought in fact (2GB base though). But man I went to the Apple store again last night and I really want the 11". There's just something about it.

Better resolution
Bigger screen
Sd slot
Better battery life
Faster processor

But I still want the 11". My Apple store said they'd waive the restocking fee if I change my mind... I still don't know what to do.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009

Better resolution
Bigger screen
Sd slot
Better battery life
Faster processor

Exactly what I am thinking. I mean logically the 13-inch makes sense, but every time I go to the Apple Store I end up eyeing the 11-inch the whole time... I can't make up my mind lol.

I was in the same boat as you... I spent 2 days playing with both the 11 and 13 inch MBA. Although I really liked the form factor of the 11", I just couldn't get used to how small the screen was. I also couldn't quite get used to the 16:9 apect ratio on the 11" model. Plus, I noticed that most people using the 11" models were hunched over the table, and most people using the 13" models weren't...

For me, it came down to either getting a cute 11" model with 4GB of ram and a 1.6, or a 13" model with 1.8 and 4GB of ram, a higher resolution display & an SD card reader for the same price. I knew that after the first week or so, the novelty of the 11" machine would probably wear off and I'd be looking back wishing I had gotten a larger screen with better resolution, faster processor and SD card reader.

So, after much consideration and hours spent on both machines, I opted for the 13" with the 1.8 GHz and 4GB of ram. I ordered it online on 10/31 and just got the shipping notification this morning.

You're right about that for sure. When I was using the 11-inch in store I was hunched over more-so than I was on the 13-inch. I think you're right about this one, for my needs anyways. I think I am going to go with the base 13-inch model with 4GB of RAM.

Last edited by a moderator:

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Exactly what I am thinking. I mean logically the 13-inch makes sense, but every time I go to the Apple Store I end up eyeing the 11-inch the whole time... I can't make up my mind lol.

Yup. What's sick is that I'm now thinking of grabbing both... that's just plain stupid.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Yup. What's sick is that I'm now thinking of grabbing both... that's just plain stupid.

Yes that's stupid I agree. One will definitely not be used in the long run. I mean at first you'll use them both, but then you will get used to only one and just stick with it. That's why I am trying to figure it out now before I purchase. I am leaning towards the base 13-inch model with 4GB of RAM right now.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
I personally...after getting the 1080p stuff fixed by using plex. I have no issues with the MBA 11 whatsoever. The small form factor brings you so many benefits if you are traveling. It is unreal. I just flew to vegas with it. Such a pleasant experience and then I sit on the bed, the way i have my legs set to hold it, it's nice.

Of course I would love the 13 inch, but the smaller feeling of the macbook air 11 was something that hards to deny.

From a spec standpoint, its not even close, 13 wins.

I went with the 11 Ultimate because it got a 94 vs 108 on speedmarks done by macbook. Figured thats good enough.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I had the 11 inch at first, but I took it back for the 13 inch. The 11 look nice but it was frustrating me with the small screen. It looks nicer than the 13 inch but the 13 inch was the perfect size for me. I wanted to watch movies on my computer, so it was a better fit.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
I personally...after getting the 1080p stuff fixed by using plex. I have no issues with the MBA 11 whatsoever. The small form factor brings you so many benefits if you are traveling. It is unreal. I just flew to vegas with it. Such a pleasant experience and then I sit on the bed, the way i have my legs set to hold it, it's nice.

Of course I would love the 13 inch, but the smaller feeling of the macbook air 11 was something that hards to deny.

From a spec standpoint, its not even close, 13 wins.

I went with the 11 Ultimate because it got a 94 vs 108 on speedmarks done by macbook. Figured thats good enough.

AHHH.. lol. Now you have me thinking about the 11-inch again. But if I got the 11-inch I definitely would not get the ultimate configuration. I would probably just get the base model with 4GB of RAM.

I had the 11 inch at first, but I took it back for the 13 inch. The 11 look nice but it was frustrating me with the small screen. It looks nicer than the 13 inch but the 13 inch was the perfect size for me. I wanted to watch movies on my computer, so it was a better fit.

This... And since I am sometimes at school all day the 7-hour vs 5-hour battery can make a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
This... And since I am sometimes at school all day the 7-hour vs 5-hour battery can make a big difference.

If you're going to be using it outside of home I would probably go with the 11". Another reason why I chose the 13" is because it won't leave the house all that much. Such a tough call. The 13" just looks so big compared the 11".

Funny I used to have a 13" MBP and never found it large... now I look at my 13" MBA and it seems big. HAHA.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
If you're going to be using it outside of home I would probably go with the 11". Another reason why I chose the 13" is because it won't leave the house all that much. Such a tough call. The 13" just looks so big compared the 11".

Funny I used to have a 13" MBP and never found it large... now I look at my 13" MBA and it seems big. HAHA.

But the 13-inch is still an extremely portable machine compared to the 15-inch MacBook Pro that I was lugging to school every day. I see what you're saying though. I still think I'm leaning towards the 13-inch.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was going to get the 13 until I saw the 11 and got a chance to use it. For me it was the form factor and increased performance over my rev C that convinced me! I love it!

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was going to get the 13 until I saw the 11 and got a chance to use it. For me it was the form factor and increased performance over my rev C that convinced me! I love it!

Damn lol. Now I am leaning towards the 11 again. The base 64GB model with 4GB of RAM. Anybody recommend any good sleeves for the 11-inch MacBook Air?

Go ultimate 11.6. Cant go wrong.

Ultimate? Why lol. I was hoping to save a lot by getting the base model with 4GB of RAM. If I go ultimate it doesn't seem worth it anymore IMO because you can get the 13-inch for the same price.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area

shootingrubber said:

Damn lol. Now I am leaning towards the 11 again. The base 64GB model with 4GB of RAM. Anybody recommend any good sleeves for the 11-inch MacBook Air?

Go ultimate 11.6. Cant go wrong.

Ultimate? Why lol. I was hoping to save a lot by getting the base model with 4GB of RAM. If I go ultimate it doesn't seem worth it anymore IMO because you can get the 13-inch for the same price.

You'll be fine with either! Just do it before you bail on the decision!

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
64gb is to little. itss 48 after formatted drive and OSX and ilife preinstalled. 4gb is neccessity and 90 for 1.6 is no brainer

badboy600

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
My favorite laptop ever was the 11.1" vaio TZ. Finally there is a mac equal to that. The choice was a no-brainer for me.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
64gb is to little. itss 48 after formatted drive and OSX and ilife preinstalled. 4gb is neccessity and 90 for 1.6 is no brainer

I too think 64GB is too little. If it is used as a primary computer, then 128GB is minimum I think. If however it acts as a secondary computer, then the $999 base model seems a great deal.

shootingrubber

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2009
I too think 64GB is too little. If it is used as a primary computer, then 128GB is minimum I think. If however it acts as a secondary computer, then the $999 base model seems a great deal.

Yes, this would be a secondary computer. Second to my iMac. I would reinstall the OS though when I got it to only install iPhoto and iMovie, and I would only install some languages, bringing up the storage to about 52-53GB. I still may go for the 128GB, but now I am back to the 11-inch lol.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
But the 13-inch is still an extremely portable machine compared to the 15-inch MacBook Pro that I was lugging to school every day. I see what you're saying though. I still think I'm leaning towards the 13-inch.

The 13" MBA will be pretty much *1/2* the weight of your 15" MBP. (2.9lbs vs. 5.6lbs) Don't let the smaller 11" fool you, the 13" is still a svelte little machine.

I bought an 11" coming from a 13" revB MBA, but after spending an afternoon hunched over it working, I returned it to the Apple Store. I found working on the 11" cramped, and everything on the screen was SO SMALL. Now contemplating skipping this revision all together in protest over the Blacklit keyboard omission.

But seriously, I think if you're taking the machine back and forth all day with you - you'll need the battery life (7+ hours) of the 13".

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
Here is my two cents and why I ordered the 11 incher...

I have an original MBA. It is my traveling computer and it's done a great job. But I am trying to travel lighter -- doing some bicycle touring and have a cross Europe trip coming up in 2012 (was supposed to be next year but got delayed) So smaller is better...

I just got back from a three week European beer trip where I left my MBA at home and took my iPad and Apple wireless keyboard instead. It actually worked pretty well -- and would be even better with iOS 4 (i.e. "multitasking") -- but when it didn't work, it was a big pain. I ended up using Remote Desktop to connect to a client's server and going from there -- it worked but it was painful.

The smaller form factor and lighter weight just did it for me. In cases where size/weight doesn't matter I can still take the old MBA (that is assuming She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't commandeer it for Herself).

Of course this doesn't apply to everybody. and I have to admit, the coolness factor of a "Baby Mac" is a factor :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.