Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Cyacene
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Video apps with Airplay

With the release of 4.2GM, it looks like airplay is back in all apps that use the built in iPad video player. This is amazing if everything pans out. In Canada we have a CityTV app that is similar to the ABC app, that in theory, should be able to be streamed to our TV's. Does the ABC app use its own player or is it the standard iPad one?

Also, I wonder if this will cause a backlash for companies like this? All of a sudden, I get free tv shows (30 rock) streaming to my TV? Not sure if this was their intent when they released the app! It sounds like Apple is accepting 4.2 updated apps to the store. Will they allow this functionality to be blocked? Or only to be added to apps that use a different player?

Again, as of right now, with the CityTV app in canada, I should be able to stream (for free) 30 Rock, Fringe, The Event, Undercovers, Hells Kitchen and more, as it uses the built in iPad video player. Am I getting excited for nothing here?!
Cyacene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:47 PM   #2
JMarr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kansas
So far every app I've tried as been able to stream to both my AppleTV 2 and old Airport Express. YouTube, Safari, Hulu, Netflix, Pandora, NPR... and Angry Birds! Obviously they're all audio only, and the audio from games was more than a little delayed compared to the on-screen video. But it's very promising.

With all of the TV sites blocking access to Google TV I hope all of this keeps working. Or rather, works with video at all once the Apple TV is updated.

$100 for that kind of functionality is a mere accessory for an iPad. If ESPN3 will stream through SkyFire to the AppleTV life will be beautiful.
JMarr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:27 PM   #3
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I thought Hulu wasn't using the standard iPad Video player controls and therefore wasn't working with Airplay yet? Have they already updated it now or something to make it work with Airplay?
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:26 PM   #4
JMarr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kansas
It doesn't look like the standard player, but it seems like there is some sort of 'global airplay' that pushes at least the audio over to the AppleTV. When you double click the home button and slide past the audio controls there's another row of AirPlay controls. You can select the output and control the volume. It seems to send everything out.

But in the Hulu app itself there is no AirPlay button. Hopefully the video is pushed out too. Hopefully we'll find out next week?

VLC also sends out at least the audio portion...
__________________
-MacBook, iPhone 3GS, AppleTV 2, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, & Nano.
JMarr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:34 PM   #5
realeric
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMarr View Post
Obviously they're all audio only.
+1. iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2GM doesn't transmit video to Apple TV2. Disappointed.
realeric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:35 PM   #6
canyonblue737
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Perhaps their is an update that will come for AppleTV to enable this when 4.2 launches for the iPhone/iPod/iPad?
canyonblue737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 02:32 AM   #7
stix
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Helvetic Confederation
I believe ATV is lacking the update to support video. Assume this will come when 4.2 is officially released.

Angry Birds on a TV would be awesome!
stix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 02:59 AM   #8
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
I think you can be pretty sure that Hulu Plus and others like the ABC app will block AirPlay video. They've blocked playback on just about every other device so I don't know why the Apple TV would be any different. In fact, without some truly groundbreaking agreement between the networks and Apple I'm afraid that our chances of getting AirPlay to work with Hulu and the ABC app are pretty slim. I'd have more faith in this matter if either Hulu or the ABC app allowed video out on the iPad's docking port, but they don't even allow that so why would they allow wireless streaming which would make the content even easier to access. My one remaining hope is that the recently released PBS app works with AirPlay (the video out port doesn't work on that app either, but one can always hope).

It does seem, however, that Hulu Plus has recently come to some devices, the PS3 -- if you also subscribe to Sony's PlayStation Plus membership which is $50/year. This additional cost makes me wonder whether Sony is paying a licensing fee to host Hulu on the PS3. If so, I don't see Apple (or Steve Jobs) willing to accept that cost without passing it on to the Apple TV consumers.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:02 AM   #9
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix View Post
...Angry Birds on a TV would be awesome!
Not likely to happen with just AirPlay. Angry Birds would have to output streaming H.264 video which isn't how games work. However, they could write a dedicated app for the Apple TV, if Apple ever allows apps on that device.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 04:03 AM   #10
Ritsuka
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
AirPlay will work only with Apple supported video formats.
Ritsuka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 07:09 AM   #11
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
I think you can be pretty sure that Hulu Plus and others like the ABC app will block AirPlay video. They've blocked playback on just about every other device so I don't know why the Apple TV would be any different. In fact, without some truly groundbreaking agreement between the networks and Apple I'm afraid that our chances of getting AirPlay to work with Hulu and the ABC app are pretty slim. I'd have more faith in this matter if either Hulu or the ABC app allowed video out on the iPad's docking port, but they don't even allow that so why would they allow wireless streaming which would make the content even easier to access. My one remaining hope is that the recently released PBS app works with AirPlay (the video out port doesn't work on that app either, but one can always hope).

It does seem, however, that Hulu Plus has recently come to some devices, the PS3 -- if you also subscribe to Sony's PlayStation Plus membership which is $50/year. This additional cost makes me wonder whether Sony is paying a licensing fee to host Hulu on the PS3. If so, I don't see Apple (or Steve Jobs) willing to accept that cost without passing it on to the Apple TV consumers.

Actually that does not appear to be the case. You are getting things mixed up. They are actively blocking the regular free Hulu only. They would love to offer Hulu Plus to as many different devices as possible and want as many subscribers as possible. They have already made Hulu Plus available on all the iOS devices as well as built it in to TVs, put it on the PS3, and announced other TV media devices like the Tivo and Roku will offer it as well.

So since they are already offering it on iOS and they are already offering it on media center devices and TVs specifically made for the living room, then what makes you think they do not want it on the Apple TV? That makes no sense. It's not like they make you pay for Hulu Plus on each and every device you add it to. So if you subscribe to Hulu Plus on the iPhone I see no reason they don't want to let you see it on your Apple TV through Airplay. I think they can't wait for Airplay to help them get more subscribers. Especially when it's less work for them through Airplay than having to actually create a whole new app like they did for the PS3 and have to do for the Tivo and Roku.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:11 PM   #12
tripjammer
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Actually that does not appear to be the case. You are getting things mixed up. They are actively blocking the regular free Hulu only. They would love to offer Hulu Plus to as many different devices as possible and want as many subscribers as possible. They have already made Hulu Plus available on all the iOS devices as well as built it in to TVs, put it on the PS3, and announced other TV media devices like the Tivo and Roku will offer it as well.

So since they are already offering it on iOS and they are already offering it on media center devices and TVs specifically made for the living room, then what makes you think they do not want it on the Apple TV? That makes no sense. It's not like they make you pay for Hulu Plus on each and every device you add it to. So if you subscribe to Hulu Plus on the iPhone I see no reason they don't want to let you see it on your Apple TV through Airplay. I think they can't wait for Airplay to help them get more subscribers. Especially when it's less work for them through Airplay than having to actually create a whole new app like they did for the PS3 and have to do for the Tivo and Roku.
I agree...Hulu plus will be airplay video\audio by end of next week on the new AppleTv with the appleTV iOS 4.2 upgrade...and Hulu will knock the price down of Hulu plus to $4.99 by Xmas.
__________________
iPhone 5 32GB & Apple TV 2 8GB
tripjammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 04:08 PM   #13
Cyacene
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I really hope that airplay is not going to become a promised feature that gets delayed past 4.2. Although it's already here, having no devices that support it is kind of a problem.

Maybe we'll get 4.2 on AppleTV along with Itunes extra's next week.

Fingers crossed.
Cyacene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2010, 04:52 PM   #14
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
I agree...Hulu plus will be airplay video\audio by end of next week on the new AppleTv with the appleTV iOS 4.2 upgrade...and Hulu will knock the price down of Hulu plus to $4.99 by Xmas.
I find it somewhat amusing that so many people expect that Hulu Plus will become available on the Apple TV just because of the introduction of AirPlay. The two events do not need to be connected, since both Apple and the TV networks will probably need new licensing terms to allow Hulu Plus to appear on the Apple TV. Why would Hulu Plus work with AirPlay when you can't even use the video out on the iPad to view it today? I mean, if Hulu (or anyone else, like the ABC app) wanted their content to appear on the big-screen TV they could have done that long ago with the docking port (video output) on the current iOS devices (however, it's current blocked).

Expecting AirPlay to automatically allow Hulu Plus to be viewed on the Apple TV is just about like me saying that it will be available starting next Monday simply because it's my birthday (that is, the events could have no real connection whatsoever). I would suggest that people temper their expectations, Hulu Plus would be great on the Apple TV, but I don't expect that AirPlay (alone) will be the event that will make that happen. It will probably happen eventually, and it could be next week (IMO, unlikely), or next month, or next year (IMO, most likely).
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:18 AM   #15
pirateRACE
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
I find it somewhat amusing that so many people expect that Hulu Plus will become available on the Apple TV just because of the introduction of AirPlay. The two events do not need to be connected, since both Apple and the TV networks will probably need new licensing terms to allow Hulu Plus to appear on the Apple TV. Why would Hulu Plus work with AirPlay when you can't even use the video out on the iPad to view it today? I mean, if Hulu (or anyone else, like the ABC app) wanted their content to appear on the big-screen TV they could have done that long ago with the docking port (video output) on the current iOS devices (however, it's current blocked).

Expecting AirPlay to automatically allow Hulu Plus to be viewed on the Apple TV is just about like me saying that it will be available starting next Monday simply because it's my birthday (that is, the events could have no real connection whatsoever). I would suggest that people temper their expectations, Hulu Plus would be great on the Apple TV, but I don't expect that AirPlay (alone) will be the event that will make that happen. It will probably happen eventually, and it could be next week (IMO, unlikely), or next month, or next year (IMO, most likely).
Happy Early Birthday!

...and I agree. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see everything just sending stuff to the AppleTV. I'm excited for just the prospect of sending my current photos/video from my iPhone to AppleTV. Pandora would be a good first step and hopefully we'll see video apps follow soon after.
pirateRACE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:48 PM   #16
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
I find it somewhat amusing that so many people expect that Hulu Plus will become available on the Apple TV just because of the introduction of AirPlay. The two events do not need to be connected, since both Apple and the TV networks will probably need new licensing terms to allow Hulu Plus to appear on the Apple TV. Why would Hulu Plus work with AirPlay when you can't even use the video out on the iPad to view it today? I mean, if Hulu (or anyone else, like the ABC app) wanted their content to appear on the big-screen TV they could have done that long ago with the docking port (video output) on the current iOS devices (however, it's current blocked).

Expecting AirPlay to automatically allow Hulu Plus to be viewed on the Apple TV is just about like me saying that it will be available starting next Monday simply because it's my birthday (that is, the events could have no real connection whatsoever). I would suggest that people temper their expectations, Hulu Plus would be great on the Apple TV, but I don't expect that AirPlay (alone) will be the event that will make that happen. It will probably happen eventually, and it could be next week (IMO, unlikely), or next month, or next year (IMO, most likely).
I disagree. The reason they don't want video out from the docking port is because the docking port is analog and therefore there is no copy protection on it. However, streaming it through Airplay does not give you an easily copied analog interface. A small but very important difference.
newagemac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 02:04 PM   #17
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
I disagree. The reason they don't want video out from the docking port is because the docking port is analog and therefore there is no copy protection on it. However, streaming it through Airplay does not give you an easily copied analog interface. A small but very important difference.
That's a potential factor, however, the analog output (component video) is already limited to standard definition and you can't even output protected content over the iPad's VGA interface. Furthermore, Apple is already allowing protected iTunes content to be sent over the iPad's component video out (thus, the movie and TV studios seem to be okay with that). In any case, if you really want to you can copy HDMI video with a widely available HDMI-to-component adapter (even in HD, which can't be done over the iOS's component or VGA adapters). If they were really that worried about content being pirated then I don't think they would allow Hulu to run on PCs, that's where the widespread copying will exist.

Note, I'm not saying that Hulu Plus will never appear on the Apple TV (or with AirPlay), it's just that there is no reason to automatically assume that it will become available as soon as AirPlay is released.

Last edited by fpnc; Nov 4, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airplay from secured apps davidra Apple TV and Home Theater 0 Jan 30, 2014 10:32 AM
Why isn't Airplay supported by all video playing apps? iHobby Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Jan 26, 2014 04:49 PM
iPad: Video app only streaming audio over airplay, everyone else airplay wise works great. shenfrey iPad 11 Feb 10, 2013 12:51 PM
Can other apps play video in AirPlay as a second monitor? V4705 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 2 Nov 11, 2012 01:36 AM
AirPlay not Working with some Apps nilesc Apple TV and Home Theater 1 Jul 12, 2012 03:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC