Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
I have movies that I took on my iPhone 4, and want to sync them to my iMac. How do I configure iTunes to do that?

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I have movies that I took on my iPhone 4, and want to sync them to my iMac. How do I configure iTunes to do that?

Plug your phone to your computer, open iphoto and drag the movie from your iPhone pics into the photo section on iphoto. Once it has finished moving the movie into the photo section you can drag it onto your desktop :)

DougY

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
Thanks

Plug your phone to your computer, open iphoto and drag the movie from your iPhone pics into the photo section on iphoto. Once it has finished moving the movie into the photo section you can drag it onto your desktop :)

Thanks very much. Worked like a charm.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Questions like yours drive me nuts. And it's not your fault for asking. They drive me nutes because there's no perfect answer.

This is an area where Apple themselves are pretty confused.

You can capture those videos with either:
Image Capture into Finder
iPhoto
Aperture
iMovie
Final Cut Pro

Ok, great. Options! Nothing wrong with that. But then where should I ultimately keep these videos, Apple?

Well, if you had wanted them to be accessible to iOS devices and Apple TVs then you should have put them back into iTunes and label them as home videos. This has been around awhile and people were doing that.

But oh, wait. Now there's iMovie Theater. Just keep them in there, they get shared by iCloud. But what about all those home videos I have in iTunes...does this meld with that somehow? Eh, just ignore those.

Ok, so my iPhone videos are showing up in iMovie Theater now, but what about the videos my still camera shoots? Well they've been captured by iPhoto and just kind of hang out there. Should I move them over the iMovie? iTunes? Sure why not do both. Or neither? Who knows? Who cares! Not our problem. Ok, I moved them (and erased the old ones, don't forget that fun step!) but now my vacation videos aren't with my vacation photos anymore. "Well, what do you want from us?" says Apple.

What I want, Apple. Is a clear answer to the question: "Where do I put my photos and videos that I've shot?"

They don't even know themselves, so no wonder people are confused. Maybe they can somehow marry iMovie Theater, iPhoto Databases, iTunes Home Video Library, Photo-stream, and iCloud all into one system that makes sense and that any of their applications can tap into. Want to use iMovie? Aperture? iPhoto? iPhoto for iOS? Doesn't matter which you use. You're looking at the same database no matter what app you use. Then the question of "where do I store" it become an obsolete question.

Maybe someday. But it hasn't happened yet.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks very much. Worked like a charm.

You can also use image capture and pick where you want to upload the movie if you don't want it in iPhoto.

----------

Questions like yours drive me nuts. And it's not your fault for asking. They drive me nutes because there's no perfect answer.

iPhoto
Aperture
iMovie
Final Cut Pro

Ok, great. Options! Nothing wrong with that. But then where should I ultimately keep these videos, Apple?

Well, if you had wanted them to be accessible to iOS devices and Apple TVs then you should have put them back into iTunes and label them as home videos. This has been around awhile and people were doing that.

But oh, wait. Now there's iMovie Theater. Just keep them in there, they get shared by iCloud. But what about all those home videos I have in iTunes...does this meld with that somehow? Eh, just ignore those.

Ok, so my iPhone videos are showing up in iMovie Theater now, but what about the videos my still camera shoots? Well they've been captured by iPhoto and just kind of hang out there. Should I move them over the iMovie? iTunes? Sure why not do both. Or neither? Who knows? Who cares! Not our problem. Ok, I moved them (and erased the old ones, don't forget that fun step!) but now my vacation videos aren't with my vacation photos anymore. "Well, what do you want from us?" says Apple.

What I want, Apple. Is a clear answer to the question: "Where do I put my photos and videos that I've shot?"

They don't even know themselves, so no wonder people are confused. Maybe they can somehow marry iMovie Theater, iPhoto Databases, iTunes Home Video Library, Photo-stream, and iCloud all into one system that makes sense and that any of their applications can tap into. Want to use iMovie? Aperture? iPhoto? iPhoto for iOS? Doesn't matter which you use. You're looking at the same database no matter what app you use. Then the question of "where do I store" it become an obsolete question.

Maybe someday. But it hasn't happened yet.

I'm not sure that's as bad as you're making it out to be, they have multiple options depending on what you want to do with the media, I'd rather that then have them force me into iPhoto/iMovies.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm not sure that's as bad as you're making it out to be, they have multiple options depending on what you want to do with the media, I'd rather that then have them force me into iPhoto/iMovies.

There will always be other options if you don't want to do something the Apple way.

My problem is that "the Apple way" is actually several different contradictory things. If they do come up with an answer I'm not saying that everyone then has to do things that way. I'm just saying that Apple should be able to explain what their preferred method is.

They can't do that right now.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

iPhoto
Aperture
iMovie
Final Cut Pro

You are exaggerating and it is you who is confused. Default has always been iPhoto and the more experienced user is free to select a different option. Nothing confusing about that.

My problem is that "the Apple way" is actually several different contradictory things. If they do come up with an answer I'm not saying that everyone then has to do things that way. I'm just saying that Apple should be able to explain what their preferred method is.

No, "the Apple way" has always been iPhoto. It's clear what their preferred method is for the casual user.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You are exaggerating and it is you who is confused. Default has always been iPhoto and the more experienced user is free to select a different option. Nothing confusing about that.

I'm curious why you think iPhoto is the "default."

I would have said that iTunes was the previous default and that iMovie is the new default. (The Apple TV doesn't stream videos from iPhoto, after all. It does from iTunes.)

The fact that we disagree over what the default is just proves how much of a mess this is, doesn't it?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm curious why you think iPhoto is the "default."

I would have said that iTunes was the previous default and that iMovie is the new default. (The Apple TV doesn't stream videos from iPhoto, after all. It does from iTunes.)

The fact that we disagree over what the default is just proves how much of a mess this is, doesn't it?

You must have it disabled/unchecked, but when you connect the iPhone to a Mac iPhoto automatically loads.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You must have it disabled/unchecked, but when you connect the iPhone to a Mac iPhoto automatically loads.

Yes, it loads for photos.

Photos are easy. Photos make sense. But we're talking about movies.

iPhoto certainly can import and store the movies along with the photos. But then you miss out on several features. iTunes streams movies. iPhoto doesn't. iTunes syncs movies back to iOS 'Videos' app. iPhoto doesn't. iMovie can edit videos. iPhoto doesn't.

I'm not saying you can't use iPhoto for your home movies. I'm just saying that it's not a clear default choice that Apple is obviously pushing. You're sacrifices features if you use iPhoto for movie storage.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Yes, it loads for photos.

Photos are easy. Photos make sense. But we're talking about movies.

iPhoto certainly can import and store the movies along with the photos. But then you miss out on several features. iTunes streams movies. iPhoto doesn't. iTunes syncs movies back to iOS 'Videos' app. iPhoto doesn't. iMovie can edit videos. iPhoto doesn't.

I'm not saying you can't use iPhoto for your home movies. I'm just saying that it's not a clear default choice that Apple is obviously pushing. You're sacrifices features if you use iPhoto for movie storage.

That's pretty much beside the point. Key word is casual users. Photos and movies are viewable/playable within iPhoto and that's all Apple cares about for the casual users in terms of the default program.

Duvalna

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
I use an app called PhotoSync. I love it. It allows me to transfer between iDevices and also my computer, all wirelessly of course. Check it out, you might like it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.