Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Does anyone know what the iPad is actually doing during a hard reset? I only ask because it literally takes me 5 minutes or more to boot up during a hard reset these days. Took less than half a minute when I first got my iPad. Wondering what could be causing the delay. I have a 3G/WiFi iPad.

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
What do you think happens? Its starting uo the operating system, obviously.

It likely takes longer when your OS has more data to load, eg: more mail, contacts, a bigger iPod list of songs, more apps, more data in every way.

If this is right, you should be able to backup, restore to factory default, and get much quicker a boot up sequence. Try it and see if it works.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
What do you think happens? Its starting uo the operating system, obviously.

It likely takes longer when your OS has more data to load, eg: more mail, contacts, a bigger iPod list of songs, more apps, more data in every way.

If this is right, you should be able to backup, restore to factory default, and get much quicker a boot up sequence. Try it and see if it works.

Thanks. That's my question. Obviously, on a higher level, it's starting up the OS. But what exactly does that mean? Tough to figure out what's slowing done the reset if I don't know what processes are being run. Is it in fact loading up an "Ipod list of songs, more apps, more data"? That doesn't seem to be the case because it didn't used to load this slowly and the number of apps I've installed (or media for that matter) hasn't changed much (and if it has changed, that number has gotten smaller not bigger). Wondering if it's any particular process that is causing the massive slowdown. Five minutes seems a bit ridiculous to me ...

I do have four email accounts on my ipad, but that couldn't be the cause could it?

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
If you wonder what happens during boot time I would recommend looking at this

It mounts the Darwin operating system and boots your iDevice. Now, the file system is not affected by the number of apps, songs, videos etc you may have loaded on your iDevice and start time after a reset should not be more than 1 minute, max. Keep in mind that a hard reset is really a bad thing, it's basically like pulling the plug on a Windows or OS X machine - open files and are not closed in a controlled way but are rather killed with a giant sledge hammer - this is likely to leave tracks all over the place. Tracks that, eventually, may confuse Mr Darwin.

My advice, if this keeps on annoying you is, to Restore and start all over again.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
All the smart people on this forum and no one has a clue?

A lot can happen during boot, it will all depends on what you got installed, if it taking a long time, your device my be doing file system checks, service recovery, data integrity check, port scanning just to mentioned a few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.