Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have any WiFi issue with 4.2 GM?

• No, it's completely working

Votes: 62 54.9%
  • I had problems, but I did a complete restore and now it works fine

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Yes, I have the WiFi signal ON, but internet doesn't work

Votes: 48 42.5%

• Total voters

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Let's do a poll, because a big percentage on the web is affected by this WiFi issue.

Please, before voting, try to stay not so close to the router, because it clearly seems that the issue doesn't appear when your very close.

Use this thread only for voting.
If you want to discuss the problem, there's already a big thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1042331/

Last edited:

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Needs to be another option for partially working. My iPad works great on w locations but a third has this issue.

Damn, I know I would have forgot some options..
Be patient and write what you're experiencing here.

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Come on guys, I know there are a lot of users that are experiencing this issue, there are 5 pages in the other threads!;)

g0doyers

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
My Wifi would suddenly would go out for no apparent reason. But it wasn't a problem with my wifi or internet at all, the ipad just stopped getting any signals. A restart does the trick but it happens weekly. Kinda annoying.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Come on guys, I know there are a lot of users that are experiencing this issue, there are 5 pages in the other threads!;)

Did you make this poll to prove a preconceived idea, or to find out whether this was really a 4.2 issue?

These figures are already skewed since many people will come to these forums and threads because they have problems, and will ignore them otherwise.

It's possible that something else is causing these issues, and 4.2 is only coincidentally involved. Don't you want to find out if this is the case?

I think your poll is a great idea, and I don't doubt you're having genuine issues, but don't ask people to skew the results!

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Did you make this poll to prove a preconceived idea, or to find out whether this was really a 4.2 issue?

These figures are already skewed since many people will come to these forums and threads because they have problems, and will ignore them otherwise.

It's possible that something else is causing these issues, and 4.2 is only coincidentally involved. Don't you want to find out if this is the case?

I think your poll is a great idea, and I don't doubt you're having genuine issues, but don't ask people to skew the results!

Just wanted to have a very precise result based on a high numbers of votes.
Sorry if I bothered you.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
Just wanted to have a very precise result based on a high numbers of votes.
Sorry if I bothered you.

Hey, no bother; and I'm not saying don't bump your thread with a call for votes, I'm just suggesting that you should encourage voting whatever people's experience is, not just those with issues. ;)

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
My ipad connected this week to four different Wifi hotspots and had none issues. It is interesting to see that more than half of the people here have voted that they have issues.

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
My ipad connected this week to four different Wifi hotspots and had none issues. It is interesting to see that more than half of the people here have voted that they have issues.

Yes, interesting because it's such a low percentage, given that people are being directed here explicitly from a large complaints thread.

If you have issues, you'll be directed here and eagerly want to make your point. If you don't have any, why would you be here at all apart from idle curiosity? It should be 90%-10%.

Kobra

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I've had no problems so far. All my apps and WiFi is working to 100% :) It might be that I jumped straight to the 4.2GM....

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Man, that's a bad result (for Apple). As I type this I see 29 people with no problems, 28 with problems, and 1 person fixed their problem with a restore. If this poll is at all representative then surely there is no way on earth that Apple can get away without spinning at least one more GM or even drop back to beta before having another try at a GM. They really can't go live with this GM can they?

I wonder if a November release date is now in doubt. If it's a simple regression (some developer accidentally checked in some old code or the build team accidentally picked up an old file) then that's not so bad but another possibility is that it's a timing issue which is just the sort of thing that can turn up when going from beta to GM and would explain why it only occurs for some users. Timing bugs (race conditions) are pretty much the hardest thing there is to debug in an operating system.

- Julian

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Man, that's a bad result (for Apple). As I type this I see 29 people with no problems, 28 with problems, and 1 person fixed their problem with a restore. If this poll is at all representative then surely there is no way on earth that Apple can get away without spinning at least one more GM or even drop back to beta before having another try at a GM. They really can't go live with this GM can they?

I wonder if a November release date is now in doubt. If it's a simple regression (some developer accidentally checked in some old code or the build team accidentally picked up an old file) then that's not so bad but another possibility is that it's a timing issue which is just the sort of thing that can turn up when going from beta to GM and would explain why it only occurs for some users. Timing bugs (race conditions) are pretty much the hardest thing there is to debug in an operating system.

- Julian

it's 29 without a problem, 28 with and bearing in mind that tons more people without a problem wouldn't even look at this thread or the other wifi problem threads, so really the poll is invalid, there's more likely tons of people running the GM with no wifi issue, so the fact that around 28 have a problem out of all people running 4.2 GM is tiny.

either way, they'll release 4.2 as schedule (most likely tuesday or wednesday depending on when osx 10.6.5 and itunes 10.1 get released as these are pre-requisites for 4.2) and any wifi issue will be picked up with a minor update called 4.2.1....

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
it's 29 without a problem, 28 with and bearing in mind that tons more people without a problem wouldn't even look at this thread or the other wifi problem threads, so really the poll is invalid
That's what I said (29 OK, 28 bad). I think you missed the word "no" in my previous post (10th word of the second sentence).

As to whether the poll is invalid, you may well be right, but that isn't a given. The thread title of "poll: Do you have any WiFi issue with 4.2 GM?" doesn't seem to me to be guaranteed to skew it towards only inviting people with problems to vote. Forums are supposed to be communities and, if I saw this thread and had no problems, then I would definitely come in and vote because I recognise that the poll is a laudable attempt by the OP to try and get a better idea of how widespread the problem is but we really are discussing your opinion vs mine here so who knows which of us is right, I certainly don't.

I really hope they don't release the GM as it is but on this one I do fear that you might be right. Let's face it, they released the initial iPad with really horrible WiFi issues for some people (I know, I was one of them). They also took a long time to release the update that mostly fixed those issues so, if 4.2 does go out with these new WiFi issues then, based on the 3.2 and 3.2.1 release dates (according to Wikipedia 3 Apr 2010 and 15 Jul 2010), it might well be more than 3 months before we get a fix. I guess it's just a matter of watching and waiting.

- Julian

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Hey, no bother; and I'm not saying don't bump your thread with a call for votes, I'm just suggesting that you should encourage voting whatever people's experience is, not just those with issues. ;)

Ah that's right!;)

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Julian, I think we can say that the only issue — that is not even experienced by all users — is this WiFi problem. I suppose that Apple can fix this issue in a sec and launch the official 4.2, without returning to the beta stages or delivering another GM.

At least that's what I hope.;)

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Julian, I think we can say that the only issue — that is not even experienced by all users — is this WiFi problem. I suppose that Apple can fix this issue in a sec and launch the official 4.2, without returning to the beta stages or delivering another GM.

At least that's what I hope.;)

any fix would require either going back to beta or another GM as they then have to test it to make sure it is fixed and that it doesn't affect anything else, that's the point of beta and GM.........

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
any fix would require either going back to beta or another GM as they then have to test it to make sure it is fixed and that it doesn't affect anything else, that's the point of beta and GM.........

But in some cases the official version delivered to the customers is a little different from the Golden Master.
Maybe they could fix the issue and test it with internal developers and testers?

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
If there are no other issues they could release the GM as it stands and get to work on a point release for shortly afterwards.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I have a cnnection but it's not very good my Mac that Is farther away and a web page lodes in a second. And it takes like 10 for my ipad

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
But in some cases the official version delivered to the customers is a little different from the Golden Master.
Maybe they could fix the issue and test it with internal developers and testers?

nope, they would go for another gold master before release, you're missing the point, the devs need to test their apps on the final release version, that's the major point for GM. cos if they tweak something and release, then some apps updated for 4.2 might not work. if you don't understand this, you don't get the whole point of beta and GM....

plus the GM is always the same as official release, the only time i think it wasn't was with 4.0 when they took game center out (or was that the final beta to GM, i forget).

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
nope, they would go for another gold master before release, you're missing the point, the devs need to test their apps on the final release version, that's the major point for GM. cos if they tweak something and release, then some apps updated for 4.2 might not work. if you don't understand this, you don't get the whole point of beta and GM....

plus the GM is always the same as official release, the only time i think it wasn't was with 4.0 when they took game center out (or was that the final beta to GM, i forget).

Ok, ok. Now it's clear. Thank you very much.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007

With the quality of some software these day, it's hard not to sympathize with people's confusion when a company actually follows the release process. :)

For the record, I have had much better luck with ad-hoc wifi under 4.2 GM then 3.x.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.