Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
I had something weird happen today while using parallel. I put a rather large folder in the windows 7 folder and it disappeared. I can't find it anywhere but suspect the space is still being taken on the ssd. I have rebuilt the spotlight search index and installed mackeeper to try and find it to no avail.

Can someone tell me out of the box how much space is available on the 128 ssd? I know the capacity is 120.99 but what is actually available?

Thanks!

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
i had about 104GB left out of the box.

Oh ok..then maybe the file is gone. It was quite weird because one sec it was there and the next gone. I am down to 60 gigs available so every little bit counts. Thanks!

dougan

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
I had 106 OTB, got it to 109 after getting rid of a few iLife apps that I won't use and some other stuff.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
get monolingual or xslimmer and strip out all of the unneeded binaries and languages from your apps. it saves quite a bit of space.

also, keep an eye on system cache folders, application support folders, etc. etc. just deleting iDVD and the accompanying support folders (themes, etc) saved me like 3-4GB. i don't need iDVD on this thing, i never even use it on my mac pro.

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
get monolingual or xslimmer and strip out all of the unneeded binaries and languages from your apps. it saves quite a bit of space.

also, keep an eye on system cache folders, application support folders, etc. etc. just deleting iDVD and the accompanying support folders (themes, etc) saved me like 3-4GB. i don't need iDVD on this thing, i never even use it on my mac pro.

Are those apps free? I am using a trial of mackeeper which seems to do a good job, but if I could save a few $$. I am down to 60 gigs and fear I may just run out of space. :(

J273

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2007
What size is ideal for a windows 7 installation and a few base apps.?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.