Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoiceofTJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Here's what I have, what I want to do, and why...

I have this:

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac7,3
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (2.2)
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.1.8f7

Equipped with this:

Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5200
Type: Display
Bus: AGP
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0321
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 2060

And these Displays:

M220Z1_L01:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Depth: 32-Bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported

DELL 1704FPV:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Princeton Digital VL1719
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

What I want to do is have the first monitor, (M220Z1_L01), in landscape mode, as the primary monitor, and the other two in portrait mode, mirrored.

I am a voice over artist, and I want to have a monitor in my booth with the copy displayed on it, as well as on my desk, while the primary has my recording software. That way, I am running almost paperless, and my engineer can make copy changes on the fly, and the changes will of course, be visible on my booth monitor.

So, what's the best way to accomplish this? I'm not a gamer, I just need enough video power to be able to rotate two of my displays, and give me a sharp, crisp image.

If I understand what I've been reading, the best solution would be a second video card, with a touch more power. But, I need a card that allows portrait mode.

Your thoughts? Remember, I don't want a hi-def TV, just nice sharp word documents displayed.

Thanks in advance!

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
IIRC, only ATI cards supported portrait mode back in the G5 days.

Considering that your G5 has an AGP port, you should look at the ATI 9800Pro.
The Nvidia 6800Ultra would be the most powerful (original) card for your Mac Pro, but as it is not an ATI card, I'm not sure if it supports portrait mode.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the powermac g5 has apart from the agp slot for the graphics card , would it not be possible then to add another pci graphics card ? i have no idea how to in the powermac and i have no pci card here to add to my G5 powermac dual2.3
but i have done what he needs on a gaming pc for someone and he did not want a second pc in the bedroom but the 4monitors so i fitted multile pci graphics cards , one for mirror only so he could play in the bed and in the living room at the same time ^^

Last edited by a moderator:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
OP, you need to replace FX5200 with Radeon 9600,Dual DVI version and add PCI Radeon 9200 as secondary card,like this one.
You'll be able to connect 4 displays and rotate at least 3 of them (I'm not sure if rotation works with VGA port).

VoiceofTJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Cool, and thanks for the help. I'm going to try and get the cards mentioned, and I'll post how it works out.

Thanks again!

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Or... I can't think why a single card with two outputs and a vga-splitter wouldn't work. That way, your graphics card would be displaying 2 screens: One landscape, which is displayed on your primary monitor, and one portrait, which is then split using cables to two mirrored portrait monitors.

Agp graphics cards may not be expensive, but not only would the above method be cheaper, but I imagine it'd be easier to set up too.

VoiceofTJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Or... I can't think why a single card with two outputs and a vga-splitter wouldn't work. That way, your graphics card would be displaying 2 screens: One landscape, which is displayed on your primary monitor, and one portrait, which is then split using cables to two mirrored portrait monitors.

Agp graphics cards may not be expensive, but not only would the above method be cheaper, but I imagine it'd be easier to set up too.

Actually, this is what I'm doing now, but the current card doesn't offer portrait mode, and there seems to be some signal loss on the split channel, the monitors appear slightly fuzzy. Not unreadable, by any means, but after a few hours I'm pretty sure I'd have a headache.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Fair enough. I would have thought that vga splitters are available with an amplifier to boost the weak signal, but then the cost of that is probably near enough the same as a cheapo second card would be.

VoiceofTJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
Bought two of the cards recommended, one did not work in the unit, the other does not allow rotation. And I cannot mirror just two monitors. Any other ideas?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Which one does not work? Can you post links or pics of cards you've bought?

To enable rotation and other features you need this: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/atidisplays4-5-7.aspx - works with 10.5 in one of G5 I have (with ATI 9200 PCI):

pictureuy.jpg

VoiceofTJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2010
I have the 9800 and the 9200, (my bad, they both fit), the rotation works, (thanks a ton for the link!), and I found the solution to the mirroring issue. You go to System Preferences>Displays>Arrangement, and option+drag the monitors together that you want mirrored. This allows you to have some mirrored and some not.

edit . . .
You'll be able to connect 4 displays and rotate at least 3 of them (I'm not sure if rotation works with VGA port).

Rotation does work with the VGA port.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Last edited:

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
IIRC, only ATI cards supported portrait mode back in the G5 days.

Considering that your G5 has an AGP port, you should look at the ATI 9800Pro.
The Nvidia 6800Ultra would be the most powerful (original) card for your Mac Pro, but as it is not an ATI card, I'm not sure if it supports portrait mode.

I do not know whether I recall it right. The others might help/correct me.

For AGP G5 PowerMacs I always thought the X800XT was the fastest original Mac Card. Flashed PC-Cards to be considered as the fastest are the 7800GS, 256MB (or 512MB version, though only 256MB are seen by the OS, it can easier be overclocked and so is faster than the 7800GS, 256MB). The 7800GS has to have a G70 chip! not G71. The flashed X850XT were reported to be unstable.

list of AGP-Cards: http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/4B4B7BA2-7ABB-47F1-87AC-B03D37942BEE.html
and http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Graphics_Cards.html
This might help, too: http://www.welovemacs.com/pomacg5vica3.html just for an overview.

to make it complete: PCIe G5 PowerMacs have the 7800GT, 256MB as fastest original card. I think the original X1900XT is about the same speed but has other/more preferences options. Or the Nvidia Quadro FX 4500, which was also roughly the same speed or sometimes said to be about 10-12% faster than the 7800GT, but specialized for CAD. The fastest flashed one is a 7800GT, 512MB, which is reported to be 15-20% faster than Quadro FX.
Full list of PCIe-Cards: http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/71BBF3EF-9713-4C53-8B80-26771F8A4087.html

I do not remember what ports (DVI/VGA) and display sizes they all support, but I think the X800XT could handle a 30" apple cinema display. (x800xt is reported to get very hot! consider fan noise)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.