Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Jan 11, 2005, 06:21 AM   #1
MemphisSoulStew
macrumors regular

AirPlay from XtremeMac

XtremeMac have just announced the AirPlay FM transmitter for the iPod - looks like an excellent rival to the iTrip: no installation of playlists needed and doesn't cover the hold switch, both of which are annoying features of the iTrip, and the same model fits iPods and minis.

(I am not affiliated with XtremeMac in any way...)
Old Jan 11, 2005, 08:16 PM   #2
bigandy
macrumors G3

ooooh i like. i goin to get me one of those!
Old Feb 20, 2005, 05:44 AM   #3
adriantoll
macrumors member

Has anyone bought and used one of these yet? I'm getting really annoyed with my iTrip covering the hold switch - when I'm listening to it in the car and then go into the house I have to take it off, put hold on, then put the iTrip back on. Then, when I'm going back out I have to do the reverse... I also like the idea of the buttons changing the frequency rather than running the iTrip stations playlists - a real pain when driving along and you hit a local station.
adriantoll is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2005, 05:49 AM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

My iTrip churns through my iPod's battery charge, wouldn't an LCD screen just make it that much worse? On the other hand, it would be nice to have the option of seeing what station was being broadcast.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:17 PM   #5
adriantoll
macrumors member

My iTrip doesn't go through my iPod's battery *too* fast. It's noticeable, but for what it does I'm not too bothered. I'm guessing that the display on this doesn't take too much power unless you're changing stations when there's a backlight. Has *nobody* tried this?

Late edit - my sister bought one of these for her husband's iPod and it was rubbish. If you're comparing sound quality between these two the iTrip wins hands down, and the increase in usability just isn't worth it.

Last edited by adriantoll; Jun 13, 2005 at 10:56 AM.
adriantoll is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews