Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 5, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1
toypadlock
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Consolidated iTunes Library - videos on other drive possible?

Hi, this is probably a stupid question, but here goes - I have a consolidated iTunes library on the internal drive of my mac for ease. However, as I want to get rid of all my DVDs, am I able to rip them all and store them on an external drive, yet still be able to stream them easily to the new tv?

Or am I going to have to either

a) store all my music away from the internal drive
b) manually manage my music collection

Help appreciated, thanks.
toypadlock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Bye Bye Baby
macrumors 65816
 
Bye Bye Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: i(am in the)cloud
It is better to have your entire library stored in one place. I have everything on my drobo.

However you can have reference files in iTunes. That is the file shows up in iTunes normally but it is stored elsewhere.

That may work for you if you want to split movies and music between storage options.
__________________
27" iMac i7 + 27" ACD + 11" Macbook Air i7 + Mac Mini
iPhone 5 + iPad 4G + iPod Touch
G4 Cube + 15" ACD + 17" iMac G4 + Color Mac + Mac Classic II
Bye Bye Baby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Karnivore
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
If you're asking if your media can be stored on an external drive, then yes, it can be done.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1449
__________________
2010 13" MBP + Samsung Galaxy Note = Harmony
Karnivore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:19 PM   #4
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God
 
CWallace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
I store my music on my Mac and my videos on a 2TB external HDD connected to the Mac via FireWire 800. All content is listed in iTunes.
CWallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:28 PM   #5
jdusoccer12
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Yes this can be done pretty easily. I keep all of my music on my Macbook Pro and all my movies on an 1TB external connected to my Airport Extreme and it is all in iTunes and accessible on my Apple TV. Just go in iTunes Preferences and uncheck Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to iTunes under the advanced tab. Then add your movies like you normally would and they will stay on the external and not be copied to your hard drive and play perfectly.
__________________
15" Retina MacBook Pro 32GB iPhone 4S 32 GB iPad Wi-Fi + 4G Creator of FallUp!, available on the App Store
jdusoccer12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:29 PM   #6
pasipple
macrumors 6502a
 
pasipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdusoccer12 View Post
Yes this can be done pretty easily. I keep all of my music on my Macbook Pro and all my movies on an 1TB external connected to my Airport Extreme and it is all in iTunes and accessible on my Apple TV. Just go in iTunes Preferences and uncheck Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to iTunes under the advanced tab. Then add your movies like you normally would and they will stay on the external and not be copied to your hard drive and play perfectly.
Ditto...

I have my music collection stored on my MacBook Pro and my movie collection stored on an external drive plugged into my AirPort Extreme via USB.

I was using a WD Passport Studio 640GB but my collection became too large. I just bought a WD My Book Studio LX 2TB ($200). Both drives work seamlessly with the AirPort Extreme. But I'm glad I bought the My Book Studio LX. 2TB is going to provide me a lot of space for backing up my MacBook Pro, storing a backup of my music files, and my entire movie collection.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, 3.06GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HD, v10.8.2
iPhone4S 128GB Black v6.0
iPad2 64GB Wi-Fi Black v6.0
AppleTV3 v5.1
pasipple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 01:21 AM   #7
techguy40
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasipple View Post
Ditto...

I have my music collection stored on my MacBook Pro and my movie collection stored on an external drive plugged into my AirPort Extreme via USB.

I was using a WD Passport Studio 640GB but my collection became too large. I just bought a WD My Book Studio LX 2TB ($200). Both drives work seamlessly with the AirPort Extreme. But I'm glad I bought the My Book Studio LX. 2TB is going to provide me a lot of space for backing up my MacBook Pro, storing a backup of my music files, and my entire movie collection.
Do you get any stutter/freezes on your movie video when playing it from the external hard drive usb connected to the airport extreme?
techguy40 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:24 PM   #8
pasipple
macrumors 6502a
 
pasipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy40 View Post
Do you get any stutter/freezes on your movie video when playing it from the external hard drive usb connected to the airport extreme?
I've never had any shuttering or skipping with either drive. So far, I've watched maybe 20 movies on the ATV.
__________________
15" MacBook Pro, 3.06GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HD, v10.8.2
iPhone4S 128GB Black v6.0
iPad2 64GB Wi-Fi Black v6.0
AppleTV3 v5.1
pasipple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Evgenyy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
You can either uncheck the copy files tick or hold Control button when adding movies which will override the tick
Evgenyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:06 AM   #10
zimborob
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
iTunes Library

I have 2TB of movies, 1+ of TV shows, 1+of music all on different drives.

How do I set up iTunes to use these drives?
zimborob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 01:20 AM   #11
sandman42
macrumors 6502a
 
sandman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgenyy View Post
You can either uncheck the copy files tick or hold Control button when adding movies which will override the tick
Ditto this. Don't bother unchecking the preference in iTunes. Prior to adding video to iTunes, save it to the location of your choice, where you want it to reside permanently. Hold down the option key, then drag and drop the file into iTunes. iTunes will add the file to your library but without copying it to your consolidated library. Works great. I have a similar configuration to what you describe (consolidated library on main drive; ancillary video files on external drive), and I use this method all the time.
__________________
Race fast, safe car.
sandman42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 01:34 AM   #12
Michael CM1
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I'll add the same answer everybody else did.

Yep, it's possible. It matters not where the files are located to Apple TV. Store whatever files wherever the heck you want and then add them to the iTunes library. That's the only file that matters. To do that, just know where the file is and select "Add to Library..." from the File menu in iTunes.

I keep my music local and my videos on a 1.5TB external drive. This was because I used to have a notebook and so I could have all of my music with me when taking it somewhere. I don't really have a good reason for keeping music on the internal drive now, but I really don't feel like changing it. Putting my iMovie stuff on an external drive is much easier than moving thousands of songs.
__________________
13.3" 2014 MacBook Air; Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver 64GB iPhone 6; white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV (x2)
Michael CM1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:35 AM   #13
sandman42
macrumors 6502a
 
sandman42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
I'll add the same answer everybody else did.

Yep, it's possible. It matters not where the files are located to Apple TV. Store whatever files wherever the heck you want and then add them to the iTunes library. That's the only file that matters. To do that, just know where the file is and select "Add to Library..." from the File menu in iTunes.

I keep my music local and my videos on a 1.5TB external drive. This was because I used to have a notebook and so I could have all of my music with me when taking it somewhere. I don't really have a good reason for keeping music on the internal drive now, but I really don't feel like changing it. Putting my iMovie stuff on an external drive is much easier than moving thousands of songs.
In order for this to work you have to uncheck "copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library" in iTunes preferences. Since I want that feature active some of the time, and I don't want to keep changing the preference, I find it easier to use the option-drop method.
__________________
Race fast, safe car.
sandman42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Point iTunes to iTunes library on external drive? Soundhound OS X Mavericks (10.9) 5 Dec 22, 2013 09:32 AM
itunes libraries, seperate drives for media type? or 1 itunes library on one drive? Sossity Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Mar 12, 2013 03:00 PM
iTunes Library on Secondary Drive Stridder44 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Jan 22, 2013 10:11 PM
Apple ITunes - 11.0.1 (12) - unable to add videos to library clanger84 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jan 8, 2013 12:56 PM
Consolidated multiple users' iTunes libraries Roadrun3r Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Aug 24, 2012 03:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC