Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Nov 5, 2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Theraker007
macrumors regular

how to clean the apple brand ipad case?

Whats the best way to clean this thing.. I already regret paying the $40 for it, i shoulda bought third party but I wanted it protected right away.

Anyway, the thing is getting dusty and dirty as hell and I almost wanna run it under the sink and air dry it but that doesnt seem like a great idea. Any suggestions?
Theraker007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 07:21 PM   #2
MacDawg
macrumors P6

I love mine

I just wipe it with a damp cloth
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 07:50 PM   #3
joec1101
macrumors 6502

use a damp clean micro fiber cloth and just wipe it. then use another dry clean micro fiber cloth to wipe it dry. works like a charm.
joec1101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:49 AM   #4
wimryan
macrumors newbie

K.i.s.s.

Hey all;
Not sure why this is such a big deal, I subscribe to the Keep It Simple Stupid method. I take a plain scotchbrite sponge (green and abrasive on one side, yellow and spongy on the other side), put about 3 drops of liquid dish soap and run the sponge under warm water. Scrub the case inside and out with the yellow side of the sponge, pass a clean cloth over the entire surface, and let it air dry.
Good as new! No need to get complicated...
Hope this helps
wimryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Bin it and buy a Yoobao or Portenzo. Life's too short.
Seamaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:55 PM   #6
zhenya
macrumors 68030

Yup, just a damp lint-free cloth will make it look new again. Honestly, I bought the Apple case as a stop-gap when I first picked up the iPad, but honestly, it's a lot better than 99% of the 3rd party cases I've seen. It's super slim, even with the cover folded back, yet still allows you to stand the iPad in a couple of orientations. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 09:23 PM   #7
mgipe
macrumors Demi-God

I refuse to clean my Apple iPad case. It's dirty and scratched like a well-worn leather motorcycle jacket. It looks like the road warrior that it is.
mgipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 04:35 PM   #8
Muscleflex
macrumors 6502

Does the case scratch easy? I had a look at it at the apple store and it looks like it's made from some material that shows scratches easily. I do like how thin it is tho and I'm looking for a case for mine.
Muscleflex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 04:46 PM   #9
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Dish soap and water every two weeks or so.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 06:24 PM   #10
ngenerator
macrumors 68000

Lick it clean every fortnight
Old Dec 3, 2010, 09:32 AM   #11
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
Yup, just a damp lint-free cloth will make it look new again. Honestly, I bought the Apple case as a stop-gap when I first picked up the iPad, but honestly, it's a lot better than 99% of the 3rd party cases I've seen. It's super slim, even with the cover folded back, yet still allows you to stand the iPad in a couple of orientations. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.
Same here. I have yet to find a case better than the Apple iPad case. Most 3rd party cases look very nice, but are bulky and have an odd way to hold the iPad with elastics that makes it look cheap.
And the skins don't protect the display, which is what I care most. I don't use a screen protector, so the Apple case protects it all the time.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:13 AM   #12
batman75
macrumors 6502

I have found windex works very well.
batman75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:14 AM   #13
oli356
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
Same here. I have yet to find a case better than the Apple iPad case. Most 3rd party cases look very nice, but are bulky and have an odd way to hold the iPad with elastics that makes it look cheap.
And the skins don't protect the display, which is what I care most. I don't use a screen protector, so the Apple case protects it all the time.
Depending what you want protection from the apple case would be the worst imo.

If I drop mine in my Snugg case it has a chance of being fine as of the 'leather', in the apple case... well.. not a chance
oli356 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 10:15 AM   #14
miniConvert
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to miniConvert Send a message via MSN to miniConvert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgipe View Post
I refuse to clean my Apple iPad case. It's dirty and scratched like a well-worn leather motorcycle jacket. It looks like the road warrior that it is.
Hear hear I say! Providing mine doesn't get anything gross attached to it I'm more than happy for it to look 'well used'.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:59 AM   #15
richpjr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscleflex View Post
Does the case scratch easy? I had a look at it at the apple store and it looks like it's made from some material that shows scratches easily. I do like how thin it is tho and I'm looking for a case for mine.
I bought mine the day the 3G models were released and have had it on since then. It isn't scratched at all and I have cleaned it 3 or 4 times with a damp cloth as others pointed out. Still looks good.
richpjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:39 AM   #16
nospeed411
macrumors 6502a

I have seen a few people mention Armor All...thy say it cleans it and prevents new stuff from sticking to it.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:11 PM   #17
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospeed411 View Post
I have seen a few people mention Armor All...thy say it cleans it and prevents new stuff from sticking to it.
It absolutely does. It's a great tip, and one which has totally transformed the Apple case for me.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 03:31 PM   #18
Piggie
macrumors 603

Just had a look, Armor All make a range of different products.

Which one are they using?
Piggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 04:01 PM   #19
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

The original Armorall Protectant is what I used. Works great.

Apply liberally with a lint-free cloth, allow to penetrate for a while, buff off excess and allow to dry.

It's amazing the difference this makes.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 07:30 PM   #20
ExnomenDei
macrumors regular

1: Remove your iPad
2: Get a lighter
3: Liberally apply fire to the Apple Case
4: ???
5: Buy a new, better case.
6: Profit!

Seriously. It's 40 dollars to burn something you hate. Do it!
ExnomenDei is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:11 AM   #21
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a

I felt exactly the same way (see above) until I discovered the Armorall trick.

The fact is that functional design of the Apple case is still the best, and I've tried a few. The only thing about it that píssed me off was the thing looking scruffy permanently. While the application of Armorall doesn't eliminate this completely, it does makes it tolerable.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:29 PM   #22
JNGold
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
I felt exactly the same way (see above) until I discovered the Armorall trick.

The fact is that functional design of the Apple case is still the best, and I've tried a few. The only thing about it that píssed me off was the thing looking scruffy permanently. While the application of Armorall doesn't eliminate this completely, it does makes it tolerable.
My Apple case is looking very ratty even after various cleaning methods (Baby wipes, Warm water, etc).

I just put in an order for an Incase Magazine case which looks to be just as functional and pretty much as thin as the Apple case.
JNGold is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories