Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 5, 2010, 07:56 PM   #1
pfjellman
macrumors regular

Boxee on 2010 AppleTV?

I looked around and couldn't find anything about this, but maybe I'm blind. Does anyone know anything about Boxee running on the new AppleTV? I have one of the first 40GB AppleTVs and love it, but want to move it into the bedroom and get a new AppleTV for the living room.

I run a media center off of my Mac Pro and 90% or more of my collection is in avi. Boxee handles this beautifully - just want to confirm I'll be able to do the same thing on the new AppleTV.

Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors G5

The new Apple TV (2010) cannot run Boxee at this time. It may never run Boxee as it would require a lot of porting from Intell to ARM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:17 PM   #3
pfjellman
macrumors regular

that's what i was afraid of. bummer. anyone who has a new appletv, how are you watching your existing (non-iTunes) media collections with it?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 09:36 PM   #4
Dorfdad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfjellman View Post
that's what i was afraid of. bummer. anyone who has a new appletv, how are you watching your existing (non-iTunes) media collections with it?
They are not.. You can't watch anything but Apple formatted videos. This is why I waited and purchased two Boxee Boxes next week! Man that thing is SEXY and it upscales all content to 1080p!
Dorfdad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 09:43 PM   #5
optophobia
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to optophobia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfjellman View Post
Plex

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1042654
Old Nov 5, 2010, 09:54 PM   #6
pfjellman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by optophobia View Post
Hm, okay. But does that mean I have to run a "media server" app on my Mac Pro? I'd much rather just have a fileshare setup and play the media on the AppleTV, don't really wanna have to play it on the computer and have it "stream" the video to AppleTV.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 04:22 AM   #7
kramerica2
macrumors regular

You want the boxee box..

I've also considered the ATV, but for 100$ more, the boxee box seems to give so much more value. At least for anyone that wants more than just itunes or netflix.
kramerica2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater