Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
I looked around and couldn't find anything about this, but maybe I'm blind. Does anyone know anything about Boxee running on the new AppleTV? I have one of the first 40GB AppleTVs and love it, but want to move it into the bedroom and get a new AppleTV for the living room.

I run a media center off of my Mac Pro and 90% or more of my collection is in avi. Boxee handles this beautifully - just want to confirm I'll be able to do the same thing on the new AppleTV.

Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The new Apple TV (2010) cannot run Boxee at this time. It may never run Boxee as it would require a lot of porting from Intell to ARM.

pfjellman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Oregon
that's what i was afraid of. bummer. anyone who has a new appletv, how are you watching your existing (non-iTunes) media collections with it?

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
that's what i was afraid of. bummer. anyone who has a new appletv, how are you watching your existing (non-iTunes) media collections with it?

They are not.. You can't watch anything but Apple formatted videos. This is why I waited and purchased two Boxee Boxes next week! Man that thing is SEXY and it upscales all content to 1080p!

kramerica2

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
You want the boxee box..

I've also considered the ATV, but for 100$ more, the boxee box seems to give so much more value. At least for anyone that wants more than just itunes or netflix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.