Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 5, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1
mekkon
macrumors newbie

Help with iPhoto Book - Format Page Layout

I've been working on creating some books in iPhoto, and I'm running into all sorts of issues with Apple's "smart" page formatting. When I choose a page layout, iPhoto automatically changes the layout based on what type of photos you put where. For example:
  • Say I choose a 2-photo layout for one page with 2 horizontal photo placeholders side by side (and large blank spaces above/below).
    • If I drag a portrait photo to one of the placeholders, the arrangement automatically changes to 1 squarish portrait size, and one long landscape photo.
    • If I drag another portrait photo onto the other landscape placeholder, the page automatically becomes a full bleed, 2-portrait page.

This is 100% consistent and predictable - however this info appears nowhere in iPhoto or in Apple's support pages. Or anywhere that I can find.

THE PROBLEM: It gets really complex with multi-photo pages. I'm using a few 6-photo pages, which the default template is: 1 big portrait, 1 regular landscapre and 4 quarter size landscapes.

I can't sort out the logic for the auto-formatting of this page... If I drag a portrait photo to one of the small photos, sometimes it changes the page into two normal size landscape photos and four half-frame portrait photos. This looks great when arranged on a diagonal, but there's no way to do that on purpose - and the iPhoto "magic" arranging is seemingly inconsistent here. (Often it stacks the landscape photos on one side of the page with 4 small portrait photos on the other - which looks chunky.)

<brief rant> Further infuriating is that the various full-bleed books have TOTALLY different formatting options. And "undo" does NOT undo magic iPhoto's magic format changes... </brief rant>

HELP: I've googled the bejeezus out of this, and searched here for hours. Is there a helpful website out there, anywhere, that have these logic strings revealed? So that users can arrange photo books to look good on purpose??? I can't understand why apple doesn't allow an "advanced" mode where the format box shows all the options, and have a toggle for "no magic autoformatting."

NOTE: I'm currently running iLife 11 on a up-to-date new MacBook Pro. However, I had the exact same issues with the previous version of iPhoto, so I believe the magic code to be universal...

Last edited by mekkon; Nov 5, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
mekkon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:31 AM   #2
McRaven
macrumors newbie

Hi, I finally found it! Type "automatic page layout" in your iPhoto help menu you should be able to find what your looking for. Or just open your book project, choose "view" in the menu bar and choose "project settings" (I'm using the Danish version so I hope Im using the right words here...) and BAM! you have found the secret page Hope this helps.
McRaven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:26 PM   #3
mxx
macrumors newbie

Same problem, but no solution

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with the automatically page layout of iPhoto... but do not suceed in solving it with the solution you said (I do not see anything like Project Settings in VIEW and the help menu does not help me)...

My iPhoto'09 version 8.1.2... is that maybe the reason why your solution does not work for me?
mxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store