Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sarahk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
I currently have a Macbook running OS X 10.4.11 -- I know, I'm really behind.
It's specs are: 2Ghz Intel core duo, 1 GB ram, and 80 GB hardrive. It's a mid 2007 model. It's now slow and the hardrive is almost full. If I want to continue using it--I definitely need to update my OS, new RAM.

I've been thinking about the iMac I'd probably choose to have 2TB option for the hardrive and giant screen, and use my Macbook for it's portability, basic word documents, internet browsing etc.
With all my current gadgets, I will have used up over 216 GB just starting off. (currently I'm not really able to optimally use them to capacity because my hardrive is too small).

BUT...

I have also been seduced by the new and shiny Macbook Pro laptops. My mom has one, and I end up using it almost as much as much own computer because I love how fast it is, and it's sleek aluminium body.
My parents think that this is clearly the better choice, and I am somewhat inclined to go along. My best friend thinks I am crazy to want a desktop.

I'm just not sure if a 500 GB hardrive will cut it, especially as time goes on and I acquire more and more music, and movies on iTunes.

Q: Are my parents right?
Q: Do you think 500 GB is enough for me?
Q: Is it silly to use an old Macbook as a pseudo net-book?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I would say your parents are probably right. It offers power and portability. 500GB should be good, at least for a while, however, much larger hard drives are starting to become more common, so if you run out of space, just swap in a new one and copy the old one to it. I wouldn't say it's silly to use your Macbook as a netbook-ish device, it would work well for that and be considerably more powerful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.