Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 6, 2010, 01:46 AM   #1
BadWolf13
macrumors 6502

What kind of #if(compiler if) statements are available?

I hope I explained that well, but I'm talking about the #if statements that you can put into code, which tells the compiler to only compile a section of code if the condition is met. I've noticed a bunch in the Apple-provided headers, and I'm wondering, is there some kind of resource about what kind of conditions are available to put into these compiler statements?
BadWolf13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:22 AM   #2
HiRez
macrumors 601

All the standard C preprocessor directives should be available, including #if, #ifdef, #ifndef, #else, #elif and #endif. I don't think there's much that applies in an Objective-C context that would be different than in a straight C context.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_preprocessor

EDIT: You'll notice there are some restrictions, for example you can't evaluate expressions using strings or floats, generally you can do that before the directive by defining a token and using #ifdef, or using an integer expression with #if.

Last edited by HiRez; Nov 6, 2010 at 02:28 AM.
HiRez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 10:22 AM   #3
BadWolf13
macrumors 6502

Thank you, I didn't know the term preprocessor, and that's exactly what I was looking at, but I don't think I explained my question very well. It's not the different preprocessor directives that I'm looking for, it's more the different expressions that I can put into a preprocessor #if statement. For example, in foundation.h, there's a conditional compilation based on the statement;

Code:
#if (TARGET_OS_MAC && !(TARGET_OS_EMBEDDED || TARGET_OS_IPHONE)) || TARGET_OS_WIN32
The expressions used in this condition must have been defined at some point, so I'm wondering how I'm to know what kind of expressions/macros/constants I can use there. Is there some kind of listing, or guide to working with conditionals in XCode?

Last edited by BadWolf13; Nov 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:42 PM   #4
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

You can command-click those in Xcode to find out where they're defined, which is:

/usr/include/TargetConditionals.h

Also see
/usr/include/AvailabilityMacros.h
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5
BadWolf13
macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's a good idea, unfortunately when I ctrl-click on the macro, the "Jump to Definition" is greyed out? Could there be a setting in XCode that's preventing me from using this?

Also, a spotlight search won't find either of those two files that you listed. Back when I used Windows, there were "hidden files", does OXS do anything like that?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming