Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlpphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Hi:

I am new to this Forum and need help. I have an IMAC osx 10.4.11 (purchased in 2007) and tried copying an archive from iphoto and itunes.

I have read the posts on error code 1309 (can't copy to My Book) and followed the instructions given. When I checked the settings, it displays that the format is FAT32 on the bottom left, and indicates that I have the volume set to MAC OS Extended Journal.

The ERASE tab indicates that the volume format is MS-DOS.

I don't have much data on MY BOOK and still have it on my hard drive so I'm not concerned about losing it.

I created an archieve of images in iphoto (115 GB-took 4 hours) and want to copy it to the My Book (500GB) drive.

Please provide guidance so I can complete this task.

Also, any advice on how to cut down on the amount of time this took. I have 11,000 images on my HD.

Thanks very much:)

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Under Utilities open Disk Utility

Applications>>Utilities>>Disk Utility

Select the MyBook drive (not the partition). Click Erase tab, and select Mac OS Extended Journaled, should be HFS+ format.

Name it and click Erase.

Now go to Partition tab, and on the drop down that says "Current", click and select "1". Re-name the partition to whatever you want. Make sure the partition type is HFS+ Mac OS Extended Journaled. There should be an "Options" button. Click it, and select GUID from the choices. If no Option button, don't worry about it.

Then click "Partition" button. When the confirmation dialogue comes up, double check that you have the correct drive highlighted on the left pane, and then click "Yes".

Once partition, you can copy the archive over. 115 GB is going to take a while.

You can try using Carbon Copy Cloner and do a partial (incremental) clone, selecting only the archives and folders you want to back up. Then set a task to incrementally back up those same archives and folders as they are updated on your main drive. The first time will take longer, but after that it will only back up the data that has changed.

Hope it helps,

dlpphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Thanks for your help

I appreciate your time and will execute as instructed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.