Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britishcolumbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
I just bought an iPhone from a buddy in california, as I live in BC, Canada I have to jailbreak and unlock the phone in order to use it. Not a big deal, as the past 3 phones of mine i had to do the same. On my 3G, I would charge it 2x a week. I got this phone yesterday, and it was connected with 3 bars of edge (3G disabled) near my desk, I could hear GSM feedback through the speakers clearly, non stop. I figured it was trying to retrieve mail or something so i disabled all automatic fetch and push features, as well as push notifications. When the battery was 100% charged, i unplugged it and went and watched a movie, a few hours later when it was over i checked the time with my phone and the battery was at 60%!! I thought this cant be right, i have sent one text message with this thing. I went to bed a few hours later, phone now at 40% and when i woke up in the morning it was dead. The friend I bought it off never had any battery issues, but it hasn't been used for a few months. Is this a part of the wake up process after sitting? Should i keep draining it and re charging it to see if it eases off? Anyone had these issues?

pscraig

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
My 3GS did something like this, and I ended up changing the battery, which fixed the problem.

The kit was something like $25 including the tools and battery.

britishcolumbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
My 3GS did something like this, and I ended up changing the battery, which fixed the problem.

The kit was something like $25 including the tools and battery.

Perfect, in a way im glad it's a cheap hardware fix, rather than being unable to use the unlock properly. I found the kit on ifixit. Thanks for your advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.