Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:35 PM   #1
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

MacBook Pro shutting off seconds after startup

Hello,

My 13" 2009 MacBook Pro is shutting off after startup. It starts up fine, then I go to use it, and within about 10 seconds it goes into sleep. The sleep light goes solid, then after about 20 seconds it begins to pulsate. I could not wake it...

I've tried it again over 10 times and each time the same thing happens. My MBP is under warrenty, being a month or two shy of the one year warrenty.

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just go and send it up north to an Apple retailer?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 03:05 PM   #2
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Hello,

My 13" 2009 MacBook Pro is shutting off after startup. It starts up fine, then I go to use it, and within about 10 seconds it goes into sleep. The sleep light goes solid, then after about 20 seconds it begins to pulsate. I could not wake it...

I've tried it again over 10 times and each time the same thing happens. My MBP is under warrenty, being a month or two shy of the one year warrenty.

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just go and send it up north to an Apple retailer?
Because the machine is less than a year old yes it's covered by warranty. I would contact an AASP to get it looked at. I would also buy AppleCare while you can, this will extend the warranty to 3 years however it must be purchased within the 1st year of ownership. If you wait until after that you cannot buy it and Apple is very firm about that policy.

There are a couple of trouble shooting steps you can take, first is to try and start in Safe Mode. You do this by starting while holding down the Shift key. When you see the progress board release the key. If the problem doesn't happen then that is a sign it's software related if it does then you can do further tests.

The first test would be to run the Apple Hardware Test. Here is an Apple Advice Letter that explains how to do this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

If you find any hardware problems then it obviously needs repair. If it doesn't show any problems that doesn't mean it's OK (obviously) because this test isn't the most conclusive. At this point I'd take it to an AASP.

Last edited by rkaufmann87; Nov 6, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
rkaufmann87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 03:07 PM   #3
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
Because the machine is less than a year old yes it's covered by warranty. I would contact an AASP to get it looked at. I would also buy AppleCare while you can, this will extend the warranty to 3 years however it must be purchased within the 1st year of ownership. If you wait until after that you cannot buy it and Apple is very firm about that policy.
Well if it is serious, they will give me a new one. Then I get another year of warrenty on that machine, and I have that year to buy AppleCare for it.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 05:14 PM   #4
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Tried the SMC, but it didn't work. The Apple hardware test said there was nothing wrong with the computer, but there must be. I guess I'll be taking it into an Apple retialer.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 05:54 PM   #5
sjfwhite
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Well if it is serious, they will give me a new one. Then I get another year of warrenty on that machine, and I have that year to buy AppleCare for it.
Is that how the warranty works? That you need a replacement, then the warranty clock starts out fresh? It would be the first time I have ever seen something like that. I would assume you would get a refurb that would be warrantied for the remainder of your original warranty. I would double check before assuming that is the case and not buying Applecare.
sjfwhite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 06:03 PM   #6
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfwhite View Post
Is that how the warranty works? That you need a replacement, then the warranty clock starts out fresh? It would be the first time I have ever seen something like that. I would assume you would get a refurb that would be warrantied for the remainder of your original warranty. I would double check before assuming that is the case and not buying Applecare.
If the computer needed to be replaced, would they give me a new 2010 one or a late 2009 one that is the same as the one I already have. If the latter, I hope the specs aren't lower than mine ;-)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro