Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:35 PM   #1
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
MacBook Pro shutting off seconds after startup

Hello,

My 13" 2009 MacBook Pro is shutting off after startup. It starts up fine, then I go to use it, and within about 10 seconds it goes into sleep. The sleep light goes solid, then after about 20 seconds it begins to pulsate. I could not wake it...

I've tried it again over 10 times and each time the same thing happens. My MBP is under warrenty, being a month or two shy of the one year warrenty.

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just go and send it up north to an Apple retailer?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 03:05 PM   #2
rkaufmann87
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Folsom, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Hello,

My 13" 2009 MacBook Pro is shutting off after startup. It starts up fine, then I go to use it, and within about 10 seconds it goes into sleep. The sleep light goes solid, then after about 20 seconds it begins to pulsate. I could not wake it...

I've tried it again over 10 times and each time the same thing happens. My MBP is under warrenty, being a month or two shy of the one year warrenty.

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just go and send it up north to an Apple retailer?
Because the machine is less than a year old yes it's covered by warranty. I would contact an AASP to get it looked at. I would also buy AppleCare while you can, this will extend the warranty to 3 years however it must be purchased within the 1st year of ownership. If you wait until after that you cannot buy it and Apple is very firm about that policy.

There are a couple of trouble shooting steps you can take, first is to try and start in Safe Mode. You do this by starting while holding down the Shift key. When you see the progress board release the key. If the problem doesn't happen then that is a sign it's software related if it does then you can do further tests.

The first test would be to run the Apple Hardware Test. Here is an Apple Advice Letter that explains how to do this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

If you find any hardware problems then it obviously needs repair. If it doesn't show any problems that doesn't mean it's OK (obviously) because this test isn't the most conclusive. At this point I'd take it to an AASP.
__________________
27" iMac i5, 24 GB RAM; MBA 11.6" 1.4GHz 4GB RAM 128GB SSD; Multiple HP Printers; OWC & Lacie EHDs; iPhone 5S; Nikon DLSR

Last edited by rkaufmann87; Nov 6, 2010 at 03:15 PM.
rkaufmann87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 03:07 PM   #3
mrsir2009
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkaufmann87 View Post
Because the machine is less than a year old yes it's covered by warranty. I would contact an AASP to get it looked at. I would also buy AppleCare while you can, this will extend the warranty to 3 years however it must be purchased within the 1st year of ownership. If you wait until after that you cannot buy it and Apple is very firm about that policy.
Well if it is serious, they will give me a new one. Then I get another year of warrenty on that machine, and I have that year to buy AppleCare for it.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 05:14 PM   #4
mrsir2009
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Tried the SMC, but it didn't work. The Apple hardware test said there was nothing wrong with the computer, but there must be. I guess I'll be taking it into an Apple retialer.
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 05:54 PM   #5
sjfwhite
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Well if it is serious, they will give me a new one. Then I get another year of warrenty on that machine, and I have that year to buy AppleCare for it.
Is that how the warranty works? That you need a replacement, then the warranty clock starts out fresh? It would be the first time I have ever seen something like that. I would assume you would get a refurb that would be warrantied for the remainder of your original warranty. I would double check before assuming that is the case and not buying Applecare.
sjfwhite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 06:03 PM   #6
mrsir2009
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfwhite View Post
Is that how the warranty works? That you need a replacement, then the warranty clock starts out fresh? It would be the first time I have ever seen something like that. I would assume you would get a refurb that would be warrantied for the remainder of your original warranty. I would double check before assuming that is the case and not buying Applecare.
If the computer needed to be replaced, would they give me a new 2010 one or a late 2009 one that is the same as the one I already have. If the latter, I hope the specs aren't lower than mine ;-)
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Pro not always shutting down. gusanitoverde MacBook Pro 9 Jan 28, 2014 11:51 PM
macbook pro retina takes 20 seconds to go to sleep yth MacBook Pro 14 Oct 20, 2013 08:41 AM
Macbook pro 15' sleepmodus 5 seconds onesixty MacBook Pro 1 Apr 12, 2013 03:35 PM
Is never shutting down Macbook pro alright? RH5 MacBook Pro 2 Oct 8, 2012 05:52 PM
MacBook Pro Shutting Down Partially snckmrt Mac Basics and Help 0 Sep 7, 2012 04:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC