Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurntReality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Tyler, TX
Sigh after reading, it looks like it is only a 14 day free trial then it will cost 15.95 (for a limited time).

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Just read here:
http://www.coveringweb.com/2010/11/pdanet-turns-your-iphone-into-true-wifi.html
about PDAnet being updated to act as a wireless hotspot now. Going to try it out.

I'm SO pleased to see an alternative to MyWi. While many agree MyWi is great, I chose to boycott them after they charged for a version upgrade because of OS version update, which offered no compelling new features to justify.

I know, everyone attacks me for it, and that's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion but mine is that MyWi was greedy, and I'll gladly pay any competitor for theirs this time just to take business away from MyWi

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
ok just got it

it wifi tethers to other iPhones/iPads perfectly, and USB tethers to my laptop. However, will not wifi tether to the laptop or other wifi-enabled devices (Android phones, WinMo phones, etc.)

iPhone 4, Limera1n, iOS 4.1

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
ok just got it

it wifi tethers to other iPhones/iPads perfectly, and USB tethers to my laptop. However, will not wifi tether to the laptop or other wifi-enabled devices (Android phones, WinMo phones, etc.)

Egh, no WiFi hotspot for the laptop? That seriously limits desire to be honest.

thizzinG

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
West Coast, Cali
ok just got it

I can tether to my girls EVO 4G, iPad, laptop and home desktop just fine :p

wingnut8

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
I installed this, it told me I needed to restart my phone to enable it, I did. Nothing happened so I tried again and my phone wouldn't reboot. Just got stuck at the Apple logo for an hour. Had to restore.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Samething happened to me.. Which version did you get? One version did that to me and the other didnt. I had to restore my phone.

I installed this, it told me I needed to restart my phone to enable it, I did. Nothing happened so I tried again and my phone wouldn't reboot. Just got stuck at the Apple logo for an hour. Had to restore.

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
The signal strength is very weak when using this app, even when set to 100% I keep losing signal. Much better just to use tetherme USB mode.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Seriously...? MyWi has a limitation with it being only compatible with laptops and other Apple products. Other phones can't detect the Ad-Hoc network.

Some phone's don't have ad-hoc networking enabled.

I can connect my iPhone via MyWi to ANY device that supports ad-hoc networking. It's up to the other device, not the iPhone.

Any phone that creates a network does it in ad-hoc fashion. Even froyo's native tethering creates an ad-hoc network. If you want a mobile hot spot that doesn't use ad-hoc you need to get a mifi or something.

FWIW I can use mywi to tether to my friend's Galaxy S on t-mo but not on my other friend's droid incredible on VZ.

Its up to the device, or in some cases, the carrier. Don't blame mywi. Anyone who can't see the ad-hoc network created by mywi needs to use GOOGLE and determine if their device actually supports it.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Sigh after reading, it looks like it is only a 14 day free trial then it will cost 15.95 (for a limited time).

Well that sucks. I just got it today and it works with my iPad no problem. I need the wifi hotspot for the iPad.

To purchase a license you go to http://pdanet.co/buyi
The terms state that the license is for the phone only. That sounds like you have to buy a new license when going from one phone to the next. So if you upgrade to a new iPhone you have to buy it again. :confused: Or did I read that wrong?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.