Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Nov 7, 2010, 08:11 AM   #1
ApoorvJ
macrumors newbie

Smile What could a Full Screen Finder look like?!

Hi Everyone, what do you guys think a Full Screen Finder look like in Mac OSX Lion? Think multi-touch, think iPad, think Coverflow, think iPhoto'11. Welcome your ideas and opinions, even mock-ups.
ApoorvJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2010, 08:19 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

???

The Finder already takes up the full screen. It will probably look something like this.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:42 AM   #3
ApoorvJ
macrumors newbie

I mean what could it present in the full screen view after we press the green + button since its the full-screen launcher for all apps in Lion.
ApoorvJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:17 PM   #4
hachre
macrumors 6502a

Finder won't have full screen support in my opinion.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:04 PM   #5
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

It'd look like Explorer.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:33 AM   #6
HelveticaNeue
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscuber9000 View Post
It'd look like Explorer.
You just made me shudder.
HelveticaNeue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:15 PM   #7
Madd the Sane
macrumors 6502

Not all applications need to be full-screen in order to be good.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:12 PM   #8
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd the Sane View Post
NO applications need to be full-screen in order to be good.
There fixed it for you.

I know it'll be optional, but full screen mode is pointless for me. It seems like Steve wants to force everyone back to the days when you only ran one program at a time (the early 80's).

For an iPhone it makes sense due to the lack of screen real estate. For larger screen sizes, using a single app taking the whole screen just doesn't appeal to me. Way too limiting for me (one of these reasons I'm in no hurry to buy an iPad).

Last edited by iVoid; Dec 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:13 AM   #9
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Isn't desktop full screen finder.
Launchpad seems to be an app that switches the desktop from displaying applications folder from the desktop folder. So if desktop gets the multiple page and folder handling that was demo'd as part of launchpad then what else would you want for?

To me other useful stuff would be per file not folder icon sizes so that document previews can be set to a useful size on some files without wasting space on others.

Plus be able to pull random folders into the dock and have the option of it going into desktop replacement mode like launchpad.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:17 AM   #10
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVoid View Post
There fixed it for you.

I know it'll be optional, but full screen mode is pointless for me. It seems like Steve wants to force everyone back to the days when you only ran one program at a time (the early 80's).

For an iPhone it makes sense due to the lack of screen real estate. For larger screen sizes, using a single app taking the whole screen just doesn't appeal to me. Way too limiting for me (one of these reasons I'm in no hurry to buy an iPad).
There are plenty of great applications with fullscreen mode. Aperture, Lightroom, iPhoto, Final Cut (takes up the entire screen), Opera, Pages, etc.

Steve isn't forcing anyone to use fullscreen mode. It will still be a choice.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 01:01 AM   #11
datamonger128
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscuber9000 View Post
It'd look like Explorer.
I think I just threw up in my mouth.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 02:23 PM   #12
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
There are plenty of great applications with fullscreen mode. Aperture, Lightroom, iPhoto, Final Cut (takes up the entire screen), Opera, Pages, etc.
Yes, those are great apps. But they are not great apps BECAUSE they have a full screen mode.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yes, those are great apps. But they are not great apps BECAUSE they have a full screen mode.
No app is great only because of full-screen. That's like saying a painting can be good for the sole reason that it's painted on a wall.

However, many apps would be significantly less useful without a full-screen mode. iPhoto and Aperture are examples of applications that benefit greatly from a full-screen mode. Final Cut would suffer greatly if it didn't take advantage of all of your screen real estate, and especially with HD video, that's even true on a 27" iMac.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 03:08 PM   #14
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
And in no way is full screen mode detrimental to the application experience. In fact it's really useful in many applications and those applications would be less useful without full screen mode.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 03:43 PM   #15
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLuffJimmy View Post
And in no way is full screen mode detrimental to the application experience. In fact it's really useful in many applications and those applications would be less useful without full screen mode.
In your opinion. Just because you don't mind full screen mode or find it useful, doesn't mean everyone does.

And I know it won't be forced on everyone in Lion (although I doubt if Apple will give us a preference setting to select between the old behavior of the green maximize button and then new one), but Apple seems to like taking features away slowly to gauge response before making the decision for everyone. And as I said earlier, the iPad isn't useful to me since it only has fullscreen mode and limits my productivity that having multiple apps onscreen at once would give me.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 04:00 PM   #16
TuffLuffJimmy
macrumors G3

Quote:
In your opinion. Just because you don't mind full screen mode or find it useful, doesn't mean everyone does.
It's not just my opinion. I'd go as far to say it's fact, because you aren't forced to use full screen mode. It's an option.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 03:19 PM   #17
domness
macrumors 6502a

I think the only app that I use full screen is MacVim in a seperate 'Space' on the Mac. Otherwise, on my main 'Space', nothing is full screen.. Ever.
domness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:59 PM   #18
bristleworm
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to bristleworm Send a message via Yahoo to bristleworm
Quote:
That always depends on the user. For example for me as a writer Pages is a great app because it has a brilliant full screen mode which allows me to work without being distracted.
Oh and I also love the fullscreen mode of iPhoto.

But as others already pointed out, nobody forces you to use fullscreen…

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Tags
finder, full screen, lion, mac osx