Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I want to listen to a choral service from my church's website that seems to be available on the Windows Media Player platform only.

Must I download from Microsoft to do this? One reason I left the PC and MS world was I didn't want to deal with Microsoft viruses and such. Thus I'm leery about downloading Windows software. Is that what I have to do? If so, where? Thanks.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think if you download vlc you it should be able to play it. I'm not completely positive, but it's free so it's worth trying.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
you should download

flip4mac
perian
and vlc

Personally, i think these are mac staples
I should download all of them? From any place in particular? My concern is that I don't want my MBP exposed to Microsoft viruses and such.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
I should download all of them? From any place in particular? My concern is that I don't want my MBP exposed to Microsoft viruses and such.

flip4mac is sht, there I warned you.
I've tried it with several machines and lots of websites, it never works.
both perian and vlc are great, although they do almost the exact same, so you should be fine getting just one of them.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

Flip4Mac - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcomponents
VLC Player - http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Perian - http://www.perian.org

Btw, Microsoft does not really publish viruses.
And if you download malware meant for Windows, it will not harm Mac OS X, otherwise we could run Windows software without the help of third party solutions or Boot Camp.

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
VLC sounds like a plan. I read a review of it in CNET and they liked it. In fact, they offered a free VLC download from the CNET website.

So I went to the VLC website.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

In blue on the upper left hand side, it says "Download VLC". Below it, though, it reads:

Get VLC now!
Operating Systems with Binaries
Select your operating system to download VLC binaries:

Windows
Mac OS X
Syllable
iOS

What does all of that mean? If I just click the blue link above it, will that be all I need to do?

I'm sorry if it sounds obvious, but this is all new to me. All I want to do is listen to a Windows Media file on a website. Thanks.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Just clicking the Download button will work, it downloads the correct version for your OS, at least it does for me.

Btw, VLC Player is free, thus CNET could only offer it for free anyway.

ineidd.png

gurm42

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
All three of those apps do different things.

Flip4Mac adds in a WMV decoder to Quicktime.
Perian adds a whole bunch of other codecs (but NOT WMV) to Quicktime.

VLC, on the other hand, is a standalone decoder. Quicktime has nothing to do with VLC. VLC will decode things all on its own.

They have their plusses and minuses.

Flip4Mac uses Microsoft's actual codecs for WMV, so you're going to get the best WMV playback out of it (although it has some quirks like you have to set it to preload everything or you can't scan around the file until it's all loaded).

VLC is completely independent of everything, so it is often the fastest.

Perian I like because the more things that Quicktime knows how to render, the more preview icons you get - and also the more stuff just "works" with a click. (Good if you share the computer or aren't super knowledgeable!)

- G

Mrs HBF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks everybody. I went to the Apple Store and they recommended flip4mac for what I want to do. So I downloaded it. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.