Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Why do people feel the need to post smack about the MBA 11"? It's obviously not for everyone, but if you want the specs it brings to the table, it's amazing.

I think the 17" MBP is a boat anchor, and I can think of 100 reasons not to buy the Mac Mini, but I don't go into their product pages and talk down about the products and the people who buy them.

Does it make you feel better to put down the product and the buyers? If a computer doesn't have specs I like I don't buy it.. Apple has enough configs to appease everyone with one of the models.

I LOVE ME 11" MBA

Get over it!

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Why do people feel the need to post smack about the MBA 11"? It's obviously not for everyone, but if you want the specs it brings to the table, it's amazing.

I think the 17" MBP is a boat anchor, and I can think of 100 reasons not to buy the Mac Mini, but I don't go into their product pages and talk down about the products and the people who buy them.

Does it make you feel better to put down the product and the buyers? If a computer doesn't have specs I like I don't buy it.. Apple has enough configs to appease everyone with one of the models.

I LOVE ME 11" MBA

Get over it!

ego/insecurity/lack of wallet power

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Just because you may disagree with them doesn't mean they should not voice those opinions

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006

I think that's what it is. :)

It's just annoying, because the comments aren't even productive. So many criticizing the 5 hour battery. It's like buying a porsche boxter and complaining the trunk won't hold 4 large suitcases to take to the airport. If it's an issue then you're not looking at the right product. Until those criticizing get an engineering degree and invent a battery technology that'll last 10 hours and fit into a 1/10th of an inch body, you're just making a fool of yourself to criticize a machine that packs more machine into the thinnest body ever.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
I think that's what it is. :)

It's just annoying, because the comments aren't even productive. So many criticizing the 5 hour battery. It's like buying a porsche boxter and complaining the trunk won't hold 4 large suitcases to take to the airport. If it's an issue then you're not looking at the right product. Until those criticizing get an engineering degree and invent a battery technology that'll last 10 hours and fit into a 1/10th of an inch body, you're just making a fool of yourself to criticize a machine that packs more machine into the thinnest body ever.

preach

i see this kind of talk EVERYWHERE where there's a lot of people who are there because they are passionate about the brand/product.

i happen to own a porsche 911 and you'd be pretty surprised how these "well off" folks are some of the most insular, round up the caravan, ignorant people i've ever had the pleasure to read thoughts on screen.

as a positive takeaway, it makes you appreciate those who get it a lot more. like you. :D

i'm like 11" a netbook? ok fine. it's a netbook. it's a very very great netbook. call it what you want. it doesn't make it sit on your lap differently and give you a lot of pleasure doing what you do to communicate with the world and produce whatever deliverable you are working on to share with the world.

enjoy life! no worries.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i bought the 11" base MBA but upgraded the ram to 4GB. it's a great machine, so silent, not even warm. i used it as a secondary computer, for the real work i use 17" uni MBP.

it's a great ultra portable laptop. if i don't do any photoshop work, i might sell the 17" and use the 11" mba as my primary computer, but since my job includes photoshop working with 5000x5000px images for Tshirt graphic, i had to keep the 17".

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004

Really? "Lack" of wallet power to decry a $999 machine in favour of a $2500 17" MBP? Seems a bit backward to me.

I'm no fan of the 17" MBP either, but the 11" is not without its flaws. If you've bought it and like it, that's amazing. I'm truly happy for you. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be hoping for a better machine in the next revision from Apple. :D

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Really? "Lack" of wallet power to decry a $999 machine in favour of a $2500 17" MBP? Seems a bit backward to me.

I'm no fan of the 17" MBP either, but the 11" is not without its flaws. If you've bought it and like it, that's amazing. I'm truly happy for you. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be hoping for a better machine in the next revision from Apple. :D

it's one thing to be able to buy a $2500 laptop once every 3 yrs v. buying the latest and greatest when u want it.

cuz we all know you're not going to get anywhere close to your purchase price for depreciating things like commodities.

and we're not talking about wanting apple to continue to refine/improve its products/brand. we're simply focusing on those who choose to criticize the mba fully understanding no machine meets every need.

my point is... it has its role; it fills a niche. if u can afford x product for every gap in your work/personal life, you're doing something right. keep at it.

teski

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
2 Things

1. I feel like most people here have been gushing over their MBA's, both the 11.6 and 13 so I don't feel there's that much bashing going on.

2. Why do you care? If you're happy, then great! These are Internet forums and it's the way these things run. Whether I'm on a Mac forum, camera forum, or whatever, people will spout one way or the other. It doesn't make me feel any less happy about my purchase. Ignore the dumb posts and move on. :)

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
I personally do not feel one way or the other about the MBA 11. But I think your thread is trollish.

People are entitled to their own opinions and they are entitled to share their opinions in a public forums like this one.

If you don't agree with what they have to say, then too bad. Close your eyes. Do not read it. But do not question their right to share.

Furthermore, why do you even care? If you feel that these posters are "wrong", why are you so worked up over it?

BENJEMS said:

Was this really necessary? Grow up please.

coochiekuta

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
here and there
im one of those people who doesnt give his endorsement of the mba to those who want it as their main machine, aka their only machine.

i think the best cost to performance/power ratio is found on the 15" i5, as far as the notebooks are concerned.

i only give my 2 cents to those that ask. in the end its their money and i never forget that.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
as a positive takeaway, it makes you appreciate those who get it a lot more. like you. :D

enjoy life! no worries.

People who 'get it' and who 'enjoy life' don't start pointless threads like this one. Rather, they ignore threads that so annoy them. So, clearly, 'getting it' (however you define this phrase) and 'enjoying life' are not traits of someone who starts a thread like this.

Last edited:

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I personally do not feel one way or the other about the MBA 11. But I think your thread is trollish.

People are entitled to their own opinions and they are entitled to share their opinions in a public forums like this one.

If you don't agree with what they have to say, then too bad. Close your eyes. Do not read it. But do not question their right to share.

Furthermore, why do you even care? If you feel that these posters are "wrong", why are you so worked up over it?

Was this really necessary? Grow up please.
(Your last comment) Why so sensitive about it?

Remember, it also works the other way around.
When someone is enthusiastic about something, but your not, then too bad. Close your eyes. Do not read it...

And when we look at the first post again, it's not "against" some posters.
He is just wondering where the need comes from, he is not bashing them, forbidding them or whatever:
Why do people feel the need to post smack about the MBA 11"?

Last edited:

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
(Your last comment) Why so sensitive about it?

Remember, it also works the other way around.
When someone is enthusiastic about something, but your not, then too bad. Close your eyes. Do not read it...

And when we look at the first post again, it's not "against" some posters.
He is just wondering where the need comes from, he is not bashing them, forbidding them or whatever:

All I am saying is that you are free to comment whatever you want about a product. But you can't come here and complain about people's comments over products. And there is no need to demean people, calling them annoying and so on, just because they don't share your likes/dislikes.

I agree with you in that it works both ways. If this was a thread complaining about people's enthusiasm over the MBA, I will find that objectionable too.

I don't care one way or the other about the MBA, but I am just allergic to idiocy like this:

BENJMNS said:

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
All I am saying is that you are free to comment whatever you want about a product. But you can't come here and complain about people's comments over products. And there is no need to demean people, calling them annoying and so on, just because they don't share your likes/dislikes.

I agree with you in that it works both ways. If this was a thread complaining about people's enthusiasm over the MBA, I will find that objectionable too.

I don't care one way or the other about the MBA, but I am just allergic to idiocy like this:

either you're dead broke (i.e. unfettered by the addictive shackles of the United States of Consumers America) or you're severely myopic in the way you view the world esp a world in which you are but a buyer with a couple thou in the wallet ready to help BIG corporate america deliver on its revenue goals.

apple is selling a product and a brand. it sells commodities. yes, i said it... a laptop is a commodity. sure you can make enhancements here and there, but at the end of the day, you have a great many options to surf the net, touch up photos, write a term paper, tweet, whatever.

you associate with apple. they don't spend hundreds of millions of dollars on marketing because they like being on TV. they do it to appease/speak to your ego as a consumer as you sit back in front of sharp, glowing LCD screens absorbing it all. so what i do is choose to give credit where it is due. the MBA deserves credit because it features some cool enhancements not offered in the past. things are getter smaller an dmore powerful. apple is merely delivering on what's expected. this is their challenge. this is their hamster wheel.

so get real, dude. if you had $10K a year given to you for buying apple laptops, you would have the mba 11, 13, mbp 17 whatever... point being these mba "haters" won't split hairs since they could afford all of it. they'd just be focused on using it/enjoying it instead of wasting energy denying the obvious merits of the new MBAs. they don't wanna feel stuck with their dated, that's that tech. spinning hard drives are a thing of the past moving forward as SSDs continue to become more affordable. lots more to come, right? more more more

nothing personal, just saying

Last edited:

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
if you had $10K a year given to you for buying apple laptops, you would have the mba 11, 13, mbp 17 whatever... point being these mba "haters" won't split hairs since they could afford all of it. they'd just be focused on using it/enjoying it instead of wasting energy denying the obvious merits of the new MBAs. they don't wanna feel stuck with their dated, that's that tech. spinning hard drives are a thing of the past moving forward as SSDs continue to become more affordable. lots more to come, right? more more more

nothing personal, just saying

I agree 400% with this point. I know I can't force apple to go back in time and add or change a feature of this laptop that was released a month ago. I know I buy EVERY new Apple laptop model that comes out, so I'm not stressing as I know I'll get a replacement for this one when the next one comes out in 3, 6, or 12 months...

I do understand there are some people who buy laptops for the "long haul" and have a right to gripe about laptops not being totally perfect since they intend to use it for 3 years... but THOSE PEOPLE ARENT THE DEMOGRAPHIC WHO THE MB AIR IS TARGETED TO BE FOR ... ugh. :)

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
I agree 400% with this point. I know I can't force apple to go back in time and add or change a feature of this laptop that was released a month ago. I know I buy EVERY new Apple laptop model that comes out, so I'm not stressing as I know I'll get a replacement for this one when the next one comes out in 3, 6, or 12 months...

I do understand there are some people who buy laptops for the "long haul" and have a right to gripe about laptops not being totally perfect since they intend to use it for 3 years... but THOSE PEOPLE ARENT THE DEMOGRAPHIC WHO THE MB AIR IS TARGETED TO BE FOR ... ugh. :)

totally man. i very much liked the mbp 13 i bought less than a week ago. it's a great laptop. but dollars aside (or more specifically $600 in my case), the mba 13 is a no brainer upgrade. there's no way someone could hand me $600 so i can go back to the mbp. this isn't a knock on the mbp, but more a testament to how good the mba is for my mobile computing needs.

-it's faster

-it's smaller/lighter

-it's much prettier esp the display

is this worth $600 so that i can be happy interacting with the machine? absolutely. do i have to buy the next new thing? only if it provides another enhancement that makes computing better for me. i'm not sure what that is at the moment since the mba resolved the weight/bulk factor without giving up snappiness/power.

if i made my living as a photoshop guy where i have deadlines and my machine must perform... of course i'd get a desktop unit or the most powerful laptop which would be the 17. but that's not the case so even if i had apple give it to me, i'd sell it.

it's not a knock, again on the MBPs. it's just for mobile computing the mba just strikes all the right notes.

so for those criticizing the mba 11 as a "netbook" (ooh bad word) or the 13 as being overpriced... what is the 2010 MBA substitute?

(crickets)

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao

Yes but your last quote isn't from the starter of this thread.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I have no problem with 'This is why I don't think product x is for me.' posts. 'This is why product x is stupid, anyone who buys it is stupid, no matter how much your usage differs from mine.' posts, annoy me.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Why do people feel the need to post smack about the MBA 11"?
Human nature when someone doesn't agree 100% with something? Going through your post history, it didn't take too long to find some posts where you were criticizing things. To each their own, right? ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

I LOVE ME 11" MBA

Get over it!

Do you require the approval of others for things you buy? Seems you do.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
people will criticize the Air because there are threads like this ... when you start a thread like this ... you are saying, OK everyone please tell me how much of a Loser I am .... please :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.