Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotAHater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Maybe I'm alone here, but I've got to know if anybody has the same frustrations I have. I keep drooling over the new MBA and I want to get one... but I'm not sure I want a device that runs OSX any longer. Now before anybody starts in on me, let me tell you why. I use my iPad almost 6 hours daily and love it. It's a piece of tech that my wife uses, and my son, and everybody that visits my home. Anybody can pick it up and off they go! That said the only thing that keeps me from getting rid of my MBP and using my iPad exclusively as my only non-phone mobile device is the lack of a keyboard. I know, I know, you can use a bluetooth keyboard, and that works very well. But once I do that I lose much of the portability. The on-screen keyboard is nice and it's functional, but is absolutely no replacement for a physical keyboard. I find any time that I need to write anything over a few sentences I move off to my iMac to finish because it takes less time and is less frustrating.

Then along comes the new MBA and its darn near perfect in form, but running an OS that really seems like it isn't Apple's focus any longer. So what are the chances that at some point Apple will release a device much like the MBA, but running iOS? I know that this would be something I'd be *very* interested in. If I could get that wonderful netbookish form but running iOS instead of OSX I'd be a very happy man. Am I alone?

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I've got to be honest. Since I got my MBA my iPad use has dwindled dramatically.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Is that just because of the form-factor, or ease of use or what?

Well when I'm just out, I use my iPhone. When I'm home I used to use my laptop on my desk and my iPad on the couch or just to read. But now, b/c of how small the Air is, I tend to use that on my couch b/c I can just do more on it quicker. Plus I like having a keyboard bc I'm always talking to people via GChat or AIM. My iPad has pretty much become a reading device for me. Others may have other uses (games?) that I just don't care about much.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
i sold my iPad and got the MBA 11" i can say its a iPad killer. the only thing ipad wins is the battery life. portability is same sa ipad.

its like ipad with keyboard attached. if you fold it damn you can kill someone lol :D

NotAHater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
But that's my point. The iPad needs a keyboard! If it had one I'd have no interest in anything else at all. I really feel like iOS is the future, and the iPad is leading the way. The touchscreen is fantastic and I'm very happy with the apps available to me. Enough that except for when I need to type (like this post for instance) it just can't cut it. It's honestly a pity that there isn't an iOS device in the MBA form factor. I haven't used any of my OSX machines for really anything lately except when I have something that I can't do on my iPad. I don't need any sort of content creation outside of the written word, and that's the only real case I can see for OSX anymore.

Jezak

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
But that's my point. The iPad needs a keyboard! If it had one I'd have no interest in anything else at all. I really feel like iOS is the future, and the iPad is leading the way. The touchscreen is fantastic and I'm very happy with the apps available to me. Enough that except for when I need to type (like this post for instance) it just can't cut it. It's honestly a pity that there isn't an iOS device in the MBA form factor. I haven't used any of my OSX machines for really anything lately except when I have something that I can't do on my iPad. I don't need any sort of content creation outside of the written word, and that's the only real case I can see for OSX anymore.

I don't know... I hear what you're saying but just don't buy it. For those of us that need more OSX really shines and then some. Maybe you'll be happier with one of the new Android tablet devices. At some point someone is bound to put a keyboard on one.

NotAHater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I'm not sure that Android is really relevant to this particular thread. I have no interest in moving away from an Apple device. Every time I've tried a different tech vendor it's ended in disappointment. Really it's nice that Google does the "Me too!" think with their Linux Android stuff, but it's nothing more than a cheap knock-off of a superior product. :-/ Really that post feels like a troll...

But if you're serious my apologies. I'd really like to see Apple with a convertible tablet. And from the Back to the Mac keynote and the lack of emphasis on the Mac the last couple of years I really think that iOS is the future. OSX is becoming more iOS like, and iOS keeps getting better.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT

jobs explains why they did not incorporate the touchscreen on apple laptop.. over time its not comfortable. and for the iOS. just wait for the lion. its like an hybrid of iOS and OSX..

Errroneous

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2010
I sold my iPad for my new MBA

I sold my iPad to get the MBA 13". I havent looked back. Browsing on the iPad always seemed slow, especially when using my MBA. Not enough RAM limited its browsing and sometimes crashed the browser. And honestly I missed a hardware keyboard.

I do miss the application selection, but not for long.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
I find my ipad to be only useful before bed to keep myself entertained before i fall asleep.

as for actual getting stuff done... zero value for my needs. plus the screen reso sucks after u work with the 13 mba. :D

T

The Toddfather

Since my 11 MBA arrived I've sold the iPad, just didn't use it anymore.

Sean006

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2008
im actually doing the same thing...have the ipad for sale to make up for the MBA i want....id much rather have the screen out in front and keyboard in my lap..

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
Perhaps this question would better be asked in a couple months.

People are not going to throw the Apple hotness of the moment under the bus of the Apple hotness of 6 mos ago.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
If Apple ever gets off their butts and releases an iBooks reader for OSX, then it would be easier to say yes to ditching the iPad for the MacNetbook Air.

But I do have to say I've become quite addicted to a few games on the iPad, as well as a few other utlities. Mindmaps were MADE for the iPad UI experience.

Fortunately, I've got business uses for my iPad so I just write it off. I hand the iPad to my clients and stream before/after videos from my MBA to them to review in real time, as well as for displaying slideshows I run from MBA....sort of like a portable, personal second monitor. It's a "sexy" way to show them something without having to carry a projector around with me.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ipad is great in my opinion but still a small child that has to grow to an adult status. Still a long way to go.

Ipad has a gorgeous screen, and the fact everything goes by touching, makes everything a more intimate experience.

However, the Ipad is to slow with internet when loading huge pages with images. The lack of flash (even though understandable) is annoying. Some websites have a flash opening page, and are unusable with the Ipad.

The MBA is way more of a computer and hardly any heavier.

With kind regards,
Bas

skcrane

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
I like everyone is deciding what to do I just can not justify both an ipad and macbook air. As we all know the ipad is limiting to what it can do but it does exceed in somethings ereader, and 3g for one thing. I just don't know if giving those things up is worth. I may just keep the ipad and also get the ipad. I have an imac and iphone (so 3g maybe mute) but the ereader is nice on the ipad. I need to go look at the air and decide what to do. I just think I might regret getting rid of ipad.

Altered3

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
I solved this debate for myself by keeping my iPad, and upgrading my 2008 15" Macbook Pro with an expresscard SSD and a new battery. I had considered selling both of them, and putting the proceeds toward a new MBA 13". Why keep the iPad? It's better than even an 11" Air for doing casual stuff while lying down on the couch or in bed. There are a lot of unique apps that just aren't available for the Mac. And my two kids absolutely love the thing, when I'm not using it. And why keep the Macbook Pro? With the SSD for booting and running most of my apps, it's virtually instantaneous like an Air, and the Anandtech benchmarks show that it's still faster than even the new "Ultimate" MBA 13". My mobility needs are mainly around the house, and I don't need to use the thing on an airplane. So hey, I saved some money and found new life in my MBP! Now if I didn't have the Pro, I'd totally go for both the iPad and a MBA 13", or maybe wait for next year's MBP update.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I use my iPad almost 6 hours daily and love it. It's a piece of tech that my wife uses, and my son, and everybody that visits my home. Anybody can pick it up and off they go!

This part of your original post is why you personally should keep the iPad. It's a different piece of technology than the MBA and it's use is different as well.

Personally, it wouldn't bother me to have my iPad passed around the room so everyone can play with it....my MBA however, I don't want everyone touching it. With the iPad you plug it back in and re-sync if anything gets erased. If you're wife or son erases something on your MBA it's not as easy to recover.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Is that just because of the form-factor, or ease of use or what?

I, too, haven't used my iPad since I got my 11" MBA. However, in my case, this is merely the "new-toy" syndrome. I think I'll eventually return to the iPad, probably after iOS 4.2.

They are two different technologies, each with their own advantages:

MBA:
- better for typing large amount of text;
- flash video, and other iTunes non-compatible movies (flv, avi, iso, mkv);
- webcam;
- easier and more flexible vpn; and
- can download zipped files and immediate use/enjoy them.

iPad:
- 3G, GPS
- much easier to use when standing up (on the go);
- longer battery life;
- play (many free) games designed for iPads;
- excellent ebook, e-magazine reader;
- much more ergonomic to your hands/arms for prolonged use;
- need only to carry a USB cable to charge iPad from airplane seats; and
- more (though not entirely) spill-proof, thus more kid-friendly.

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
If Apple ever gets off their butts and releases an iBooks reader for OSX, then it would be easier to say yes to ditching the iPad for the MacNetbook Air.

But I do have to say I've become quite addicted to a few games on the iPad, as well as a few other utlities. Mindmaps were MADE for the iPad UI experience.

Fortunately, I've got business uses for my iPad so I just write it off. I hand the iPad to my clients and stream before/after videos from my MBA to them to review in real time, as well as for displaying slideshows I run from MBA....sort of like a portable, personal second monitor. It's a "sexy" way to show them something without having to carry a projector around with me.

how do you do this? :eek:

rower

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
I have both.

I use a kindle for book reading except at night where I often use the kindle reader on the ipad.

I also use the ipad for the wsj (much better than the web version), and some magazines. For casual web browsing it is pretty good as well, and I can take movies/tv shows easily on the road.

I use a MBA for everything else as my primary computer. Both the 13 and soon the 11.

So, the ipad has been squeezed out some, but for just one I would go with the MBA.

SammySlim

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
I have both and use both. I use the MBA 11 as a travel computer and plugged into my Cinema 27 at home as my primary computer. I use the iPad as a reader and for casual surfing - I prefer it to any MB for casual surfing.

But for work, emails, playing poker and running Linux, I use my MBA.

Have a kindle too - use that to read outside or at the beach. :)

I think they are different and I am happy to have both.

Cheers

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
how do you do this? :eek:

Custom software I had my developers design and write for my company several months ago. Its basically similar to AirVideo Server but running over ad-hoc mode between my iPad and my MBA/MBP. Works really well. I can have it display anything I could put on a secondary monitor or have it work in "mirror screen" mode.

We may end up releasing it as a commercial app if Apple ever gets around to approving it. They remain tough to work with in that regards, particularly since we ended up doing some things that they don't "bless" with the API's. But for private company use, its a "wow" factor that really benefits my business model.

Cerano

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2010
Custom software I had my developers design and write for my company several months ago. Its basically similar to AirVideo Server but running over ad-hoc mode between my iPad and my MBA/MBP. Works really well. I can have it display anything I could put on a secondary monitor or have it work in "mirror screen" mode.

We may end up releasing it as a commercial app if Apple ever gets around to approving it. They remain tough to work with in that regards, particularly since we ended up doing some things that they don't "bless" with the API's. But for private company use, its a "wow" factor that really benefits my business model.

damn
any chance i could purchase a copy? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.