Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcgroa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
just thought i'd share this since found it tough wading through tons of posts on similar but not the same subjects.

I've tried to get work colleagues travelling to pick me up an IPAD in the US, since they are about 100quid cheaper right now (even with sales tax). However last 2 trips I've got people to go in to Apple Store only to find they either are out of IPADs or only have the most expensive 3G 64Gb ones (not worth the money IMHO).

Anyway I had another chance to have someone mule it back to the UK this week.

So I went on the US apple store, I trundled thru to checkout. Then when it asked me for billing address, I rammed in my UK billing address, and just stuck a random ZIP (16660) in to let it take me past the validation page. I paid with my UK registered AMEX card and it all went thru. That was Friday and after a nervous weekend of my order not being updated today i got an update to say its shipped.

So it is possible to use non US credit card on US apple store.

LinkMx

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
mmm, the US store only let's you add an US address as a delivery address so my guess is that your order is either going to be cancelled or shipped to a random address in the US. If I were you I would just cancel the order and avoid any headaches.

Edit: I didn't understand really well the first time I read it. I guess what you were saying is that you paid with your UK card and got it send to your friend on the US.

Last edited:

Queril

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Edit: I didn't understand really well the first time I read it. I guess what you were saying is that you paid with your UK card and got it send to your friend on the US.

I paid with my Russian Citibank card too, but a shipping address cannot be non US. I send to US address (like shipito.com) after that send a shipment to my Moscow address.

qwerta321

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Guys, is it possible to buy AppleCare from the US website and have them deliver the code by email? I'm in Ireland but the .ie site is much more expensive than the US site.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Guys, is it possible to buy AppleCare from the US website and have them deliver the code by email? I'm in Ireland but the .ie site is much more expensive than the US site.

I have found that the cheapest AppleCare plans are usually on eBay. If you pick a seller with a great reputation, you should be OK. When I purchased a plan for my MacBook, my seller offered to send the code by email and he also sent the package by snail mail.

Reactions: crashnburn

mbmb

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
It's definitely possible!
I ordered ipad recently to my friend's home in NYC. As the shipping address I have given US address, and used the same address for the billing address. However, I used my non-US credit card, having the billing address outside of US. Today I received a shipment notification from Apple.

tejaykay

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Edinburgh
Ordered a new iPad to a friend's address in NYC using my UK VISA card. The bank's anti-fraud team rang me to confirm but it went through OK on the second attempt. Will post an update if it clears for shipping.

skykapoor

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
I'm from india and I tried using my indian cards many times but apple always rejects and cancelled the order. I have genuine addresses of US for delivery. Please give any solution by which I can use my indian cards.

----------

It's definitely possible!
I ordered ipad recently to my friend's home in NYC. As the shipping address I have given US address, and used the same address for the billing address. However, I used my non-US credit card, having the billing address outside of US. Today I received a shipment notification from Apple.

Hi I'm from india. I am trying constantly from last two months with different cards but its not accepting anyhow. Please show me the way how to use the non-US cards

Reactions: b33apple

mstruve

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Can anyone confirm whether this will still work - using a UK credit card to purchase from the US store (for delivery in US)?

pmontanarella

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Can anyone confirm whether this will still work - using a UK credit card to purchase from the US store (for delivery in US)?

Can't confirm for UK credit cards but worked in April for me with a Canadian credit card, wouldn't see why it shouldn't work with a UK one. For billing address you can put anything in, it isn't cross-referenced anyways...

mstruve

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2011
Can't confirm for UK credit cards but worked in April for me with a Canadian credit card, wouldn't see why it shouldn't work with a UK one. For billing address you can put anything in, it isn't cross-referenced anyways...

Thanks but it's not working for me. Just saying payment authorization failed every time. Anyone experienced this?

Edit - never mind, was a security issue. Went through fine.

Last edited:

b33apple

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2017
I'm from india and I tried using my indian cards many times but apple always rejects and cancelled the order. I have genuine addresses of US for delivery. Please give any solution by which I can use my indian cards.

----------

Hi I'm from india. I am trying constantly from last two months with different cards but its not accepting anyhow. Please show me the way how to use the non-US cards

I'm from India ,I bought my phone in Italy and I'm using European App store and even I have the same problem with my payment method. I'm using international master debit card from India ,when I add it to the payment method its saying that my payment method is not valid in this store and I need to add a new payment method ,It would be so thankful if anyone help me with this issue

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm from India ,I bought my phone in Italy and I'm using European App store and even I have the same problem with my payment method. I'm using international master debit card from India ,when I add it to the payment method its saying that my payment method is not valid in this store and I need to add a new payment method ,It would be so thankful if anyone help me with this issue

I think this is an Apple policy and there would not be an easy way to get around it. Apple has to make it's devices sometime compatible with the wishes of the country it is to be used in.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
It is totally possible. I have done so multiple times for family abroad - obviously make sure you don't "ram" a foreign address as they only ship domestically.

Another workaround could be to visit a physical store and buy an Apple Store gift card in person (swiping your card). You can then buy online.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016

----------

You have to use Amex if you're from India.

It works at Apple.com and even for a credit hold. It won't work for AppleCare+ purchase any longer, though it used to work for that as well, till last year.
[automerge]1573381976[/automerge]

You need to use an Indian iCloud/App Store account and choose location as India. You don't need to change your device.

You can change your App Store account to India. But you'll lose purchases made on the EU app store.

Reactions: jpn

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
You have to use Amex if you're from India.

It works at Apple.com and even for a credit hold. It won't work for AppleCare+ purchase any longer, though it used to work for that as well, till last year.
[automerge]1573381976[/automerge]

You need to use an Indian iCloud/App Store account and choose location as India. You don't need to change your device.

You can change your App Store account to India. But you'll lose purchases made on the EU app store.
This thread hasn't been active since late 2017.

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
I have found that the cheapest AppleCare plans are usually on eBay. If you pick a seller with a great reputation, you should be OK. When I purchased a plan for my MacBook, my seller offered to send the code by email and he also sent the package by snail mail.
  1. Is this still the case? Any better avenues?
  2. What about for Gift cards for App Store?
This thread must hold the record in how many times it’s been revived ?

OP; what happened to the iPad?
Why not? Its one of those Niche micro threads that's applicable across Geo spaces & time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.