Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:51 PM   #1
InfoTime
macrumors 6502

Used power supply sold as new?

So I'm fixing an iMac G5 17" that won't light up or do anything and order a new power supply. I install it and everything seems fine. However, I notice something... There are scratch marks on the notch that are normal for a power supply that's been installed in an iMac. They get there because there's a screw at the bottom of the case that presses against that spot.

I've exchanged a couple of emails with the company (one you've probably heard of). But, I thought I'd get your all's opinions. What do you think? New or used?
InfoTime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:54 PM   #2
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Looks used to me.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:54 PM   #3
ThunderSnake
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoTime View Post
What do you think? New or used?
Used. Good eye.
ThunderSnake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 05:32 PM   #4
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Used, my PSU shows the same markings...
Old Nov 9, 2010, 05:40 PM   #5
bizzle
macrumors 6502a

It's probably refurbished. They aren't going to replace the casing for a scratch. Just an FYI, all of Apple's service parts are refurbished. So if you got them from Apple it would have been refurbished and the company that sold it to you probably somehow got it from Apple.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 05:43 PM   #6
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
It's probably refurbished. They aren't going to replace the casing for a scratch. Just an FYI, all of Apple's service parts are refurbished. So if you got them from Apple it would have been refurbished and the company that sold it to you probably somehow got it from Apple.
Refurbished would be fine - if it were advertised that way, but the OP implies that this was sold as new.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 05:46 PM   #7
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Refurbished is probably the answer as the caps were probably replaced since the original ones were susceptible of bulging/bursting. This is why it was described as "new".
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:28 PM   #8
DesmoPilot
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
Don't know where you got your information, but not all of Apples service parts are refurbs. On vintage machines that is typically the case though.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 04:10 PM   #9
Yanal
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Most of the iMac G5 power supplies and logic boards sold around are refurbished, like the others said, this one definitely is a used psu, I would call back for a partial refund
Yanal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:10 PM   #10
ThunderSnake
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanal View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Most of the iMac G5 power supplies and logic boards sold around are refurbished, like the others said, this one definitely is a used psu, I would call back for a partial refund
Totally agree. It might be a perfectly good power supply, but it should not be sold as new if it is not new. If the vendor does not make good on this in some way, I hope you will post their name so the rest of us will know whom to avoid.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:27 PM   #11
DesmoPilot
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSnake View Post
Totally agree. It might be a perfectly good power supply, but it should not be sold as new if it is not new. If the vendor does not make good on this in some way, I hope you will post their name so the rest of us will know whom to avoid.
It's Apple, all service parts come from them.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:56 PM   #12
ThunderSnake
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoPilot View Post
It's Apple, all service parts come from them.
Although I certainly agree that Apple fits into the category of "one you've probably heard of," a quick eBay search reveals more than a dozen vendors selling new G5 power supplies. And that's only eBay. I seriously doubt that this was Apple. They have always been very clear when selling me something refurbished.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:59 AM   #13
bizzle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoPilot View Post
Don't know where you got your information, but not all of Apples service parts are refurbs. On vintage machines that is typically the case though.
Oh really? Guess where I got my information. I used to work for Apple! I don't work for Apple any longer but I still work on Apple hardware, daily.

Why don't you read the paperwork next time you get a repair done from Apple. It says it right there they use refurbished and new parts. The new parts are external parts, those are never refurbished. All the internal bits can be and are refurbished. Take a good look at a service part if you ever get a chance, you'll easily tell it's refurbished.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:38 PM   #14
4JNA
macrumors 68000

new = zombie

i'd take the refurb part over the 'new' part any day. all the 'new' ones died.

if this is really a 'new' part with a scratch, you're going to need a refurb part in the near future...

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs