Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
I'm talking most about the new Mini Mac. Will it come with pre loaded software or the will it come with trial version CD's? I seriously hope its not like a HP PC with non sense trial stuff.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
The nice thing about Macs is the pre-loaded software is stuff you can actually USE, and an absolute minimum of brand tie-in, corporate-partnership crapware that seems to come on every PC nowadays. From your comment about HP PCs I'm assuming you'd be a new Mac user--forgive me if I assume incorrectly.

The Mac mini will ship with Panther, the current version of the Mac operating system. It's nice.

It also ships with iLife '05, which includes iTunes for your music, iPhoto for your pictures (compared to the one-off photo software for Windows that ship with most cameras, iPhoto is bliss), iMovie for your home videos, iDVD if you want to combine all those things and make your own DVD, and Garageband if you want to create your own music.

It will also come with the newly announced iWork. Keynote is basically a PowerPoint replacement, and Pages is sort of a combination layout/word processor thing that will open and save documents in MS Word format if you need it to.

The Mac also comes with Mail, a decent email client with a trainable spam filter; and with the Safari web-browser, which has built-in popup blocking. Both of these do not have the vulnerabilities that hackers usually use to send viruses to everyone in your address book, etc.

The Mac mini may also come with a trial version of Office (which, unless you need Excel, you never need to even open) and a couple games.

In all, you get everything a basic user needs, right out of the box--and very little that you don't. It's one of the reasons I switched.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
rueyeet said:
It will also come with the newly announced iWork.
Actually, no. It comes with AppleWorks. iWork is not included.

The software bundle is still amazing, though.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Tuned MP5T said:
I'm talking most about the new Mini Mac. Will it come with pre loaded software or the will it come with trial version CD's? I seriously hope its not like a HP PC with non sense trial stuff.

It will come preloaded with Mac OS X and all accompanying programs (Safari web browser [better than IE], Internet Explorer Mac Edition, Chess, iChat, etc), iLife '05, AppleWorks, and a 30-day-trial of Microsoft Office for Mac.

Plus two games, Nanosaur 2 and Marble Blast.

So one trial version, everything else full versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.