Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple is too much style and no substance

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple is too much style and no substance
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:06 PM   #2
zulgand04
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to zulgand04
Its amazing how, nothing is ever enough. A cheap mac finally arrives after years of saying how expesive they are now we have one and people are still complaining. Also compareing a Apple to a gateway, theres a reason why theres a diffrence, 1 Apples are made better then the crap they call gateway, and 2 who has been selling bad for years gateway. Yeah it may be cheaper but other then my college no one wants a gateway. My highscool used to have them, dumped them after a year due to continuous hardware failar. hmm thats saying something. Give apple a break and stop with nothing is ever enough, while the system that runs that gateway is bug ridden but oh i forgot its microsoft, they do no wrong!

just felt like rambeling

-Neal
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Mav451
macrumors 68000

Its pretty much a dead give-away when someone says that. He clearly hasn't used a Mac recently. I'm saying this as a PC user. If you haven't used one, you can't possibly comprehend how or why the style/experience aspect is so important.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:37 PM   #4
jvaska
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jvaska
Stupid article - plain and simple. But that's how he likes it.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:42 PM   #5
24C
macrumors 6502a

I didn't want to comment on this article, but this guy is on another planet. He criticises Apple products for bring pretty, compares price levels to a gateway machine...he clearly sees no reason to look at the finished article or it's presentation, because it's not important too him.

He's so obsessed with putting words into print, he hasn't seen the bigger picture. IMO iLife 05 is so much easier for people to grasp and comprehend. Pages is very clever in simplifying the process of creating documents, and although I wouldn't necessarily use an Apple theme, I could see a lot of the target audience doing so.
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 01:43 PM   #6
x86isslow
macrumors 6502a

he seems to be of the camp "the computer you buy determines a) who you are and b) what your relatives and friends think about you"

i can say that having switched from pc to mac, i don't think i've become a different person, and while my pc nerd friend always tries to make fun of me for using a mac, i don't see people getting worked up about whether i put music in a slideshow or not.

i think either he's stupid or he's trolling to get people to come to CNET and look at Dell ads.
x86isslow is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 02:19 PM   #7
CMYanko
macrumors member

Missed the boat

Obviously incapable of recognizing style AND substance since he has never had 'substance' on his PC.
CMYanko is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 02:44 PM   #8
Mord
macrumors G4

i kind of feel sorry for this guy, imagine how full his inbox is with angry mac user's emails.

he has not used a mac plain and simple, the mac mini is the cheapest unix workstation available, for a system like that running BSD, with such a sweet gui, you cannot go wrong, plus the gateway is cheaper argument is plain worng go to gateway and spec out an equal pc with a ati/nvidea gpu and equal software and you get to $800

the keyboard and mouse is no biggy, i have two sets of spare keyboards and mice as i'm sure many others do.
the whole point of the mac is you get style and substance and before this the only gripe is was the price at the low end and now it has been sorted.
Mord is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 03:54 PM   #9
crap freakboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crap freakboy
I was under the impression that CNET was in the pocket of M$ or am I being an even bigger troll than the author?

pudong50member
crap freakboy is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:06 PM   #10
crap freakboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crap freakboy
One more point, sure, not everyone wants to be creative but what is wrong with being able to when the mood suits?
I doubt that my mother for one would be awarded a D&AD Gold pencil for her attempt at creativity but is there really any harm in at least giving her the option to attempt her artistry? If left to to CNET's Editor at large mankind would still be sat in freezing caves not wanting to be 'creative' with two sticks of wood for fear of artistic failure.

pudong50member
crap freakboy is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:21 PM   #11
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Yes, cleary the Apple is all style compared to Wallyworlds budget powerhouse HP/eMachines systems.
Code:
Quick Specs: 		$468 		 $598 		$698
Display: 		17" CRT 	17" CRT 	15" LCD
Processor: 		2.93 GHz 	2.0 GHz 	2.0 GHz
RAM: 			256 MB 		512 MB 		256 MB
Multimedia Drive: 	DVD/CD-RW 	DVD +/- RW 	CD-RW
Hard Drive: 		40 GB 		80 GB 		60 GB
Why buy Apple when you can have one of these dream machines, or the $199 stand-alone special.

Last edited by Sun Baked; Jan 12, 2005 at 05:26 PM. Reason: code argh.
Sun Baked is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 04:51 PM   #12
Stella
macrumors 603

Bitch bitch bitch - really means "I don't get it" / "I don't like apple"
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:08 PM   #13
xsedrinam
macrumors 68040

How about form with substance?

"Either or" language, especially when it comes to the tech world, is pretty naive. Drop that grid over a nicely written generalization of a Mac and/or PC community, and I'd say the writer has pretty much lost his/her credibility with any serious reader. "What student sets their pictures to a sound track"? Well, both my kids do. Why? One reason is because they can. They can easily marry form with substance and can't wait to upload their daily shoots and set it to presentation. And their friends aren't "reluctant viewers" who must tolerate the content. They ask for a repeat with "how did you do that....." kind of stuff.

"Both and" language and praxis are pretty much a good thing, especially when it comes to the tech world. Berklee School of Music is making a pretty good stab at both.
http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/berkleeschool/
X
xsedrinam is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:17 PM   #14
SuperChuck
macrumors 6502

What a freakin' moron. I hope an insidious virus was eating away his hard drive as he typed his "ugly is better" manifesto.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:24 PM   #15
pimmie
macrumors newbie

No keyboard and mouse? Last time I bought a Peecee I was struck by the build-quality of those kbds and mice that come with crappy systems. Tossed them right in the trash, but apparantly the author really enjoys working with the type of kb and mouse he gets with his Gateway.
pimmie is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 05:40 PM   #16
dsharits
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to dsharits Send a message via MSN to dsharits Send a message via Yahoo to dsharits Send a message via Skype™ to dsharits
Quote:
All the presentations looked great, but they also seemed foreign and impersonal. Who puts a soundtrack to their family photos? "Mom's second-wedding shots--cue up the Skynrd." Most of us are lucky to have poorly labeled computer files, a cardboard box with prints and/or a vague idea of who is in the picture.

Again, it looked wonderful on stage, but if you actually synched your home photos into a slick presentation, your friends will fear that a pitch to buy a time share is coming next.
The following is the e-mail that I wrote to him:

Dear Sir,

I don't even know what to say after reading something like the article that you wrote about the MacWorld Expo. Please tell me, who wants to do a half-way job on something that they are investing time in? I know that if I am going to work on something, it is going to be done right or not at all. It sounds as if you are proud of not being able to create good-looking professional-quality presentations and documents on your PC.

Who puts a soundtrack to their family photos? Well, I do. I'm sorry if you don't understand how to do something as complicated as that, but you don't need to criticize the company that makes it easy and understandable for everyone. I'm sorry, but I am beyond storing pictures in cardboard boxes and trying to remember who is in the picture as well as when it was taken. I would much rather store all of my pictures in iPhoto, where they are easy to manipulate and print on request, as well as where they will not degrade over time. I know that my friends and family actually enjoy the shows that I put together, including the part where I tell them that I did it all with a Mac.

As far as the prices, why would you go for a low-ball PC that can't do anything beyond web surfing and e-mail? I know many people that would rather buy a computer that will last easily twice as long as a PC and will actually be able to handle their work and anything else that they throw at it.

I am part of this group that is trying to "land a marketing position" and I can tell you that when I create a presentation, I don't care about what people think about it or me. I only want it to be done right. I have both a Power Mac and an iBook, and I can tell you for a fact that I have far fewer problems and I am able to do much more than any of my friends who use PC's. The fact is, that you don't know what you are talking about, because you obviously have never used a Mac. Please, sir, if you are just going to criticize people who are more intelligent and computer savvy than you, because you can't figure out how to make your work look good, then I ask you to keep it to yourself. Go back to Windows 95 where you belong.

Daniel Sharits

Last edited by dsharits; Jan 12, 2005 at 06:08 PM.
dsharits is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:18 PM   #17
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
All the presentations looked great, but they also seemed foreign and impersonal. Who puts a soundtrack to their family photos? "Mom's second-wedding shots--cue up the Skynrd." Most of us are lucky to have poorly labeled computer files, a cardboard box with prints and/or a vague idea of who is in the picture.

Again, it looked wonderful on stage, but if you actually synched your home photos into a slick presentation, your friends will fear that a pitch to buy a time share is coming next.
This reminds me of the idiot professors I had in college. I had to give presentations to my research group every few months. I made my transparencies using a word processor and a laser printer. So they looked nice and professional.

Some professors actually marked me down for that, saying that I should have been using hand-written transparencies. They claimed that a professional presentation makes people think you're lying about your research.

I though I was free of that brain-dead attitude when I graduated. But apparently it's alive and well in Michael Kanellos's circle of friends and family. Apparently they prefer garbage over something that looks professional.
shamino is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:22 PM   #18
Photorun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crap freakboy
I was under the impression that CNET was in the pocket of M$ or am I being an even bigger troll than the author?
Troll? Heck no you aren't... you're dead on correct.
Photorun is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:24 PM   #19
dsharits
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to dsharits Send a message via MSN to dsharits Send a message via Yahoo to dsharits Send a message via Skype™ to dsharits
Quote:
I though I was free of that brain-dead attitude when I graduated. But apparently it's alive and well in Michael Kanellos's circle of friends and family. Apparently they prefer garbage over something that looks professional.
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Windows! Are you absolutely incompetent? Well you're just who we're looking for!

Daniel

Last edited by dsharits; Jan 12, 2005 at 07:40 PM.
dsharits is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 06:49 PM   #20
fregedegpo
macrumors member

I had a bit of an argument about this subject with my pc-program-writing cousin. I showed him the new mac and he said, yeah, but it's still a mac. That stinks. Any kind of bias stinks.
fregedegpo is offline   0
Old Jan 12, 2005, 07:10 PM   #21
hcuar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
Some professors actually marked me down for that, saying that I should have been using hand-written transparencies. They claimed that a professional presentation makes people think you're lying about your research.
Time to find a new college... Sounds like yours produces PHBs.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 10:27 PM   #22
Sharewaredemon
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Sharewaredemon
dsharits

Let us know what his reply is if he replies at all will you?

Thanks
Sharewaredemon is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2005, 07:50 AM   #23
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcuar
Time to find a new college... Sounds like yours produces PHBs.
I graduated quite a while ago. The college itself is fine, but some professors (especially those with tenure) believe that work spent on preparing a presentation is a waste of time that could've been spent doing research.
shamino is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:30 AM   #24
xsedrinam
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamino
I graduated quite a while ago. The college itself is fine, but some professors (especially those with tenure) believe that work spent on preparing a presentation is a waste of time that could've been spent doing research.
Ask those same profs (assuming any of them write and are published) how much time is spent on preparation of content to accommodate their publishers. A good portion of time spent on any written thesis at graduate levels concerns itself with style (form) AND content. Most Composition professors, even at Bonehead undergraduate levels, won't accept a written document which doesn't acquiese to their prescribed form. Again, the point being that "style and substance" are married or, at least, mutually interested in one another
X
xsedrinam is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2005, 09:32 AM   #25
dsharits
macrumors 68000

Quote:
dsharits

Let us know what his reply is if he replies at all will you?

Thanks
Oh absolutely I will. You all will be the first to know, besides me of course.

Daniel

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion