Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Nov 9, 2010, 06:48 PM   #1
janeywayney
macrumors newbie

sending macbook to get fixed

my mac book has two chips on the corners of it where the white plastic has broken off in thin strips along the edges. i have been reading other posts about this saying that if you take it to the genius bar at the apple store they will take it in fix it for free within about a week.
the question i have is...
if i send it to get fixed is apple aloud to turn on my computer and go through my documents/applications/photos/ other personal things on my laptop?
janeywayney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 06:57 PM   #2
tsmacman
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeywayney View Post
my mac book has two chips on the corners of it where the white plastic has broken off in thin strips along the edges. i have been reading other posts about this saying that if you take it to the genius bar at the apple store they will take it in fix it for free within about a week.
the question i have is...
if i send it to get fixed is apple aloud to turn on my computer and go through my documents/applications/photos/ other personal things on my laptop?

Things like this can be locked so if you are concerned about this either lock the folders or lock your account and create an account they can use where they wouldnt have access to any of that ... the second option is the esiest.... to answer your question im not sure if they are say allowed but if they did u couldnt prove it
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:02 PM   #3
tangobob
macrumors newbie

Yes they will fix it for free and usually the same or next day. Like stated above, you are best off creating a new user and they are allowed to turn the computer on to test the functionality of the keyboard and trackpad. Whether they peruse your personal documents is up to the technician.
tangobob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Tali
macrumors member

They will turn it on to test it. Just add another account (system prefs, accounts). I normally use name Mac password Mac or something simple like that for repair stuff. Make sure to lock your normal account with a good password before you give it them.
Mine took 6 days to fix, didn't cost anything. But: make sure to get a written quote before you hand it over or send it in.
Tali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:17 PM   #5
spinnerlys

Being Apple Technicians, even a password protected account will not hold them back from viewing your files if they want to. Either they use the "root" user (simpler and less detectable) or they could reset the password with any Mac OS X Installation DVD.

Anyway, make sure to make a backup of all your data, in case the HDD gets replaced (highly unlikely) or the MacBook gets lost during transit.

Last edited by spinnerlys; Nov 9, 2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added a much needed verb and I employ Eddyisgreat to edit his post appropriately, otherwise severe measures like "kittens"
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 07:22 PM   #6
Eddyisgreat
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post
Being Apple Technicians, even a password protected account will not hold them back from viewing your files if they want to. Either they the "root" user (simpler and less detectable) or they could reset the password with any Mac OS X Installation DVD.

Anyway, make sure to make a backup of all your data, in case the HDD gets replaced (highly unlikely) or the MacBook gets lost during transit.
this.

The only way to *make it more difficult* is encrypt either your user data or the entire disk, preferably with a complex 256-bit key. What i've done in the past was merely a 3 write zero pass the night before it was to be shipped off. Since i've switched to a 3rd party SSD, I just keep a spare 2.5" on hand with a fresh copy of SL and some diagnostic tools; pixel check, coconut battery, drive genius et al, and a 'test' account with no password. Much less hassle.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Tags
chip, customer service, genius bar, macbook