Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dougens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
London
Does anyone know how I can watch iplayer on my macbook pro in the USA...?

Thanks

ghillie

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Using Tor to Watch BBC Outside of the UK

Hi,

There are many steps to the process outlined on this link, but it does work:
http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=139

I've been using this method for ~18 months, and she recently updated this post. Although the method specifies Windows, I have it working on intel Macs running Snow Leopard. You will have to know your way around your machine in order to configure things properly. If you don't, please ask a friend as I won't be able to outline the entire process for you.

Failing that, there are loads of BBC television programmes on the Pirate Bay.

Best regards!

dougens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
London
I don't know my way around my mac that well unfortunately and so don't want to mess around with that. I have heard about expatshield for pc but nothing like it that's simple for mac???

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
Step 1: Find a proxy server in the UK.
Step 2: Open the Network preference pane in System Preferences, then Click Advanced…, then the Proxies tab. Click Web Proxy (HTTP) and enter your details.

Done! I use this method just fine to watch iPlayer from Sweden. However, I have a server in the UK that hosts my website and stuff, and I've configured it to let it be used as a proxy. Obviously I'm not going to give those details out!

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
The BBC have been thinking of finding some way to officially open up iPlayer to countries other than just the UK - but there'd have to be adverts or some sort of tariff system, because the foreign users wouldn't be paying a TV licence or anything like that.

ldobson

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
There are many ways to do this, most require some form of proxy, however the problem is that most free proxy servers are either very unreliable or suddenly disappear without warning.

If you have a UNIX webhosting account with shell access (in the UK), that is running SSH, the SSH server can act as a proxy server. On the mac I use SSHTunnel to do this.. however do have a server in the UK for this specific purpose.

There are pay proxy/VPN services out there, I would recommend a proxy over a VPN, as a VPN is usually encrypted which will add overhead to the stream.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
The BBC have been thinking of finding some way to officially open up iPlayer to countries other than just the UK - but there'd have to be adverts or some sort of tariff system, because the foreign users wouldn't be paying a TV licence or anything like that.

If the BBC was a subscription service they could just offer it to lots of other countries and I could choose to not pay for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.