Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacKenzie999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2002
Boston
Originally posted by irmongoose
Well, if you have a digital video camera.. you can usually use that...

At least, that's what I'm doing...

I wondered about that. I have a decent Nikon Coolpix 990, and suspected it could do the job as it is somewhat capable of shooting video. If anyone has any info on how this might be doable, that'd be great.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Well... usually most webcam applications will recognize the video camera as a webcam. Just connect the camera via Firewire, turn the camera on to shooting mode, and start the webcam app.

As I said.. that is what I do... Hope this helps.

irmongoose

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
get nothing by logitec that cheap and has to do w/ web cams (mine was 60 bucks). trust me. i got one and it BLEW!!!!!!

First, it worked... for about a day.
Then quiality deteriorated very quickly
Then the brightness and contrast controls went haywire.
Then the camera wouldnt recognize itself to the comp.
then it did, but the input screen was fuzzy.
then i chucked it into my wall and let it rot behind my computer desk.... (the best performance was that it didnt break into 5 million pieces at the hands of my wall. Guess its durable. Too little too late.)

btw, i reinstalled the drivers three times.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Those Logitech webcams used to be Connectix webcams. I don't think they were any better then.

I believe that Orange Micro has one called the iBot which is connected by FireWire. This should allow faster, better quality video. I haven't gotten it yet, but it's the one that looked the best to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.