Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shmerls

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
white plains
I'm trying to add the ability for Apple iDevices that can't display tutorials I created in Flash, to see them with H.264. I read that I can simply open the original tutorial that is a .mov file with Quicktime Player 10 in Snow Leopard and File > Save For Web and QT will convert to H.264 and also output several files needed to upload to your server.

But the only options are for iPhone, iPhone (cellular) and Computer. I assume an iPod would use the iPhone file, but iPad didn't exist yet.

I chose iPhone and Computer for my test. I got 2 m4v files a .jpg, a small .mov and a .html page with the code I needed to copy/paste to my target html page.

Uploaded and with my iPad could see the tutorial movie. Using FF, first I saw the beginning of the movie, then got the beachball. After a long wait, I tried a force quit and found that my Mac Pro was crashed too.

Rebooted the computer. Tried accessing with Safari this time and it worked fine.

I also own Quicktime Player 7 Pro pre Snow Leopard and tried the conversion with it and noticed a few more config choices, like for frame rate. But the resulting code was about 29 lines of code with expected parameters versus 2 lines of code in the QT Player code which actually really surprised me. With both apps they have JavaScript references for the head tab to files on Apple's library on their site.

So.. I'm wondering why FF and my computer crash, I did output for computer as well as iPhone. And what to do for FF users and the fact that there's no specific output for iPad, am I OK just using the iPhone output since I can see the file OK on an iPad.

Last, I've been reading about HTML5 versus Flash, but assume that what both QT apps that I have are outputting HTML4. In the QTP code there isn't even an embed tag, let alone the video tag I've read about, just a href to the exported saved for web .mov file, which I assume must point to the .m4v that QT outputs.

Sorry for the length, but I do want to get this right before I convert about 20 tutorials :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.