Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Just to share with you guys that I have Netflix working perfectly on my ATV2 in the UK.

Steps to get it working:
1. Get VPN service that supports configurations for DD-WRT routers (StrongVPN is one of them)
2. Sign-up to Netflix
3. Open iTunes US account
3. Get a router that supports DD-WRT firmware and flash it with that firmware
4. Set-up VPN client on the router - took me 3 days to get it right but I can help with that if anyone is interested.
5. Set-up ATV2 with US iTunes account and connect it to the DD-WRT router. Netflix should just appear in the Internet menu and you can now login and watch movies. It also works on iPhone and iPad.

I also have Hulu, ABC, WB and other US only streaming services working on all computers including ATV2 via Plex plugin.

So free Hulu and thousands of Netflix movies for £10 month (+ the initial cost of the DD-WRT router) - not too bad at all :D

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
you need a valid US address to sign up to netflix though....

Yes, I signed up with my friends address but some people use any random address. You can pay for Netflix with Entropay virtual card or possibly paypal now as well.

CanonX

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Just to share with you guys that I have Netflix working perfectly on my ATV2 in the UK.

Steps to get it working:
1. Get VPN service that supports configurations for DD-WRT routers (StrongVPN is one of them)
2. Sign-up to Netflix
4. Set-up VPN client on the router - took me 3 days to get it right but I can help with that if anyone is interested.
5. Set-up ATV2 with US iTunes account and connect it to the DD-WRT router. Netflix should just appear in the Internet menu and you can now login and watch movies. It also works on iPhone and iPad.

I also have Hulu, ABC, WB and other US only streaming services working on all computers including ATV2 via Plex plugin.

So free Hulu and thousands of Netflix movies for £10 month (+ the initial cost of the DD-WRT router) - not too bad at all :D

Hi,

I have also been trying the same method for the last few days, I'm stuck on getting the VPN on the router:confused:. Please help

hardon

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
the entropay loophole no longer works, netflix at this time do not accept paypal.

netflix will not accept prepaid or virtual credit cards.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I'm using strongvpn

Here are the settings that I use for those who would like to set up their VPN at the router level.

1. Check the address of your main ADSL modem that connects to the internet. Usually it is something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (for the settings below, I will assume that you have 192.168.0.1)

2. Do not connect your dd-wrt router to your modem just yet. Connect to it with your computer and reset the router to defaults. Then go to the Setup->Basic Setup. On that page do the following:

(a) Under Wan Connection Type chose "Disabled"

(b) Under optional settings just chose any name of your router, leave the rest blank and MTU on Auto

(c) Under Network Setup you need to put the following:

-Local IP address 192.168.0.2 (if your main modem is different then just make sure the first 3 numbers are the same and the last number is the next increment, i.e. if your modem is 192.168.1.1 then your dd-wrt router needs to be 192.168.1.2)

-Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

-Gateway 192.168.0.1 (or whatever IP is your modem)

-Local DNS 192.168.0.1 (or whatever IP is your modem)

(d) DHCP

- DHCP Type: DHCP Server

- DHCP Server: chose Disable

- Leave the rest blank, except for Static DNS (use any DNS provider; I use google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and tick all 3 boxes for DNSMasq and DHCP-Authoritative

(e) Leave NTP Client as is

3. You can now connect your dd-wrt router to your modem with a cable. Make sure you connect them via standard LAN ports and do not use a WAN port. once you connect it, you should have internet working when you are connected to dd-wrt router.

4. Now setup your VPN Client in dd-wrt router by following instructions from post #3 from here http://strongvpn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=153 except do not use the command given in step 6 and use the command provided in post#69 on page 3 of that thread.

5. Once VPN settings are there, reboot the router.

6. Now, the final part of making this work is to configure your PC, Mac, iPad or Apple TV to use your dd-wrt router as gateway. For Apple TV it is very easy: Go to settings and connect to the dd-wrt router. Once connected it will ask you to either setup DHCP automatically or setup TCP/IP manually. Chose manually and enter the settings manually. IP address 192.168.000.144 (if your modem and router address have different first 3 numbers, you need to use those, i.e. 192.168.001.144). Subnet Mask 255.255.255.000. DNS 008.008.008.008. Gateway 192.168.000.002 (or whatever IP address you gave your dd-wrt router in step 2(c)).

You should now be connected to the internet via VPN. I usually check it on the iPhone by connecting to dd-wrt router and entering the same settings (press blue arrow and setup static IP). Then just go to http://whatismyipaddress.com and it should show your US IP.

And all you have to do is commit fraud!

Phazer

Fraud needs to contain an element of economic loss to be actionable so no, this is not fraud.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Aren't they launching a UK service in a few weeks? Im sure i read this somewhere

There were rumours but I don't remember reading anything official about netflix coming here. It looks like we now have LoveFilm trying to be the UK version of Netflix but I doubt we will be getting it on ATV any time soon... And their streaming selection is still quite poor.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I'm sure it will also work if you Ad-hoc network the Apple TV to your notebook and have VPN running on that.

A bit simpler than hunting for a DD-WRT compatible router.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I'm sure it will also work if you Ad-hoc network the Apple TV to your notebook and have VPN running on that.

A bit simpler than hunting for a DD-WRT compatible router.

Yeah, I tried that as well but couldn't get it to route through VPN for some reason. It should work though with some tinkering.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
I believe paypal can give you a temporary/one-time use Credit Card number though their site. Perhaps you can use that to pay for netflix.

CanonX

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Here are the settings that I use for those who would like to set up their VPN at the router level.

1. Check the address of your main ADSL modem that connects to the internet. Usually it is something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (for the settings below, I will assume that you have 192.168.0.1)

2. Do not connect your dd-wrt router to your modem just yet. Connect to it with your computer and reset the router to defaults. Then go to the Setup->Basic Setup. On that page do the following:

(a) Under Wan Connection Type chose "Disabled"

(b) Under optional settings just chose any name of your router, leave the rest blank and MTU on Auto

(c) Under Network Setup you need to put the following:

-Local IP address 192.168.0.2 (if your main modem is different then just make sure the first 3 numbers are the same and the last number is the next increment, i.e. if your modem is 192.168.1.1 then your dd-wrt router needs to be 192.168.1.2)

-Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

-Gateway 192.168.0.1 (or whatever IP is your modem)

-Local DNS 192.168.0.1 (or whatever IP is your modem)

(d) DHCP

- DHCP Type: DHCP Server

- DHCP Server: chose Disable

- Leave the rest blank, except for Static DNS (use any DNS provider; I use google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and tick all 3 boxes for DNSMasq and DHCP-Authoritative

(e) Leave NTP Client as is

3. You can now connect your dd-wrt router to your modem with a cable. Make sure you connect them via standard LAN ports and do not use a WAN port. once you connect it, you should have internet working when you are connected to dd-wrt router.

4. Now setup your VPN Client in dd-wrt router by following instructions from post #3 from here http://strongvpn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=153 except do not use the command given in step 6 and use the command provided in post#69 on page 3 of that thread.

5. Once VPN settings are there, reboot the router.

6. Now, the final part of making this work is to configure your PC, Mac, iPad or Apple TV to use your dd-wrt router as gateway. For Apple TV it is very easy: Go to settings and connect to the dd-wrt router. Once connected it will ask you to either setup DHCP automatically or setup TCP/IP manually. Chose manually and enter the settings manually. IP address 192.168.000.144 (if your modem and router address have different first 3 numbers, you need to use those, i.e. 192.168.001.144). Subnet Mask 255.255.255.000. DNS 008.008.008.008. Gateway 192.168.000.002 (or whatever IP address you gave your dd-wrt router in step 2(c)).

You should now be connected to the internet via VPN. I usually check it on the iPhone by connecting to dd-wrt router and entering the same settings (press blue arrow and setup static IP). Then just go to http://whatismyipaddress.com and it should show your US IP.

Fraud needs to contain an element of economic loss to be actionable so no, this is not fraud.

Great this has worked perfectly, thanks very much

tigerldn

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010

Steps to get it working:
2. Sign-up to Netflix

Hi

No sure if you can help but I have a Witopia Cloakbox which is a DD-WRT router pre configured to work with Witopia.net VPN service.

It seems to work fine when I connect from my iMac or Macbook with Netflix, Hulu and any website. But when I connect to my Ipad or Apple TV 2 Netflix doesn't work? everything else works fine including the ABC app on the Ipad.

On the Apple TV I get a sorry there is an error try again later... on the Ipad it opens ready to play, then just goes back to the details page.

Can anyone help?

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
How can I do this with a Sky router? It's one of the netgear routers.

Is it a standalone router or a combined modem/router? The combined modem/routers are generally not reflashable. If it's a separate router you'd need to find the exact model and check it against the list.

Can this be done using an Apple Airport Extreme?

You can't flash the Airport with any other firmware; but you can get a separate router and use it in conjunction with the Airport.

Jonny1989

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
i wish netflix did come to the UK, i cant stand to watch most british tv series. i want to watch fringe/lost/dexter/HIMYM/The office (US) things like that.

unless any of those arent available to watch on netflix? or are they?

Restinbeast

macrumors member
May 27, 2010
i wish netflix did come to the UK, i cant stand to watch most british tv series. i want to watch fringe/lost/dexter/HIMYM/The office (US) things like that.

unless any of those arent available to watch on netflix? or are they?

Unfortunately those are not on Netflix... which is only movies and Starz programming as far as I know.

So you would have to access various other services to get those shows. For example the Office (US) is available on Hulu. Shows like Dexter I think are only available on Itunes for purchase.

scarboni21

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Unfortunately those are not on Netflix... which is only movies and Starz programming as far as I know.

So you would have to access various other services to get those shows. For example the Office (US) is available on Hulu. Shows like Dexter I think are only available on Itunes for purchase.

This is not true. While the newest season of some of these shows may not be there many seasons are. Here is what I remember off the top of my head that are on instant streaming

Dexter seasons 1 & 2
Lost all but the final season
No how I met your mother
Office all but the current season
No fringe

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hi

No sure if you can help but I have a Witopia Cloakbox which is a DD-WRT router pre configured to work with Witopia.net VPN service.

It seems to work fine when I connect from my iMac or Macbook with Netflix, Hulu and any website. But when I connect to my Ipad or Apple TV 2 Netflix doesn't work? everything else works fine including the ABC app on the Ipad.

On the Apple TV I get a sorry there is an error try again later... on the Ipad it opens ready to play, then just goes back to the details page.

Can anyone help?

You can try configuring TCP/IP manually on iPad and Apple TV.

For example, if your Witopia Cloakbox is on 192.168.0.2 then put something like this:

IP: 192.168.0.117 (or any other non-conflicting IP in the range of your Witopia Cloakbox and in this case 192.168.0.*)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.2 (this is IP of your Witopia Cloakbox)
DNS: 8.8.8.8 (or any other DNS like OpenDNS or your ISP DNS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.