Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

095052-final_cut_pro_7_screenshot.jpg

As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, television postproduction consultant Dustyn Gobler reportedly emailed Apple CEO Steve Jobs to argue the need for Apple to disclose its roadmap for professional applications so that customers making long-term spending commitments have a better idea of where things are going.

Jobs allegedly replied, saying that a revamped version of the company's Final Cut video production software will debut in early 2011.
A great release of Final Cut is coming early next year.

Sent from my iPad
The authenticity of the email exchange currently rests solely on Gobler's claim, as no supporting evidence such as routing information has been shared, and consequently we are publishing this article on Page 2.

Apple reportedly had been aiming for a 2010 update to Final Cut, but has been claimed to have scaled back its plans and delayed the launch until 2011. Those claims came after rumors of Apple shifting the focus of Final Cut from a professional audience to a prosumer one arose and were dismissed by Jobs.

Article Link: Jobs Reportedly Says Final Cut Update 'Coming Early Next Year'

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

There was someone griping on MR the other day that Steve never seems to reply from anything but his iPhone. Well here it is, he replied from his iPad!

So there, Steve does use other products!

Poll Smoker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

There was someone griping on MR the other day that Steve never seems to reply from anything but his iPhone. Well here it is, he replied from his iPad!

So there, Steve does use other products!

And?

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
With that short reply Dustyn is now armed with all of the information he needs to make a long-term purchasing decision at his post production facility.

The tag line "Sent from my iPad" contains more information than the reply itself.

:rolleyes:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It would be great if Final Cut Pro got updated. At the moment, Adobe Premiere Pro is quite a lot better and has a more modern interface, which is kind of strange, as FCP is the industry standard.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Given the length of the original message and the terseness of Jobs' reply, it suggests that either he doesn't give a crap, or the iPad's virtual keyboard is a bit pants to type on.

Or he was in the middle of a game of angry birds and decided to just send a quick reply so he could try and finish the level which he can't get 3 stars on

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Given the length of the original message and the terseness of Jobs' reply, it suggests that either he doesn't give a crap, or the iPad's virtual keyboard is a bit pants to type on.

Jobs always replies with short and sometimes witty responses.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV

All of his email responses are terse. Verbose is a bad thing if you are an executive, and frankly, people should strive for terse in business anyway.

Reminds me of an anecdote that I read of Tim Cook. In a meeting of Apple managers, he explained that there was a problem in one of the Chinese assemblies houses. A few minutes later, he looked at the engineer/manager and asked "Why are you still here?".

Last edited:

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Dustyn and I have associates in common, and he's known to be a reputable fellow. I would thus tend to take his claim at face value.

pmasters

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2009
It would be great if Final Cut Pro got updated. At the moment, Adobe Premiere Pro is quite a lot better and has a more modern interface, which is kind of strange, as FCP is the industry standard.

WRONG! FCP is definitely not the industry standard. It gained a lot of traction in market share from Avid but has since regressed its gains over the last several years.

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
WRONG! FCP is definitely not the industry standard. It gained a lot of traction in market share from Avid but has since regressed its gains over the last several years.

Yeah, I was gonna say. When it comes to professionals Avid still reigns supreme (unfortunately, in my opinion).

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
A lot of people seem to be ditching FCP because of the bugs and moving back to Premier. I think the ability to work seamlessly between Adobe products is a big advantage as well.

pmasters

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2009
A lot of people seem to be ditching FCP because of the bugs and moving back to Premier. I think the ability to work seamlessly between Adobe products is a big advantage as well.

I agree. Adobe has made some great changes while Apple rested on its laurels and decided to cater to consumer devices. I bought the FCS3 upgrade with hopes there would be some decent changes but quickly realized that it wasn't much different than FCS2. Plus when you consider that Adobe delivered 64 bit editing on Apple's own platform before Apple did showed me and many others just how committed (or lack of) Apple is to their professional apps.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
It better be 64-bit, and be multi-core and thread aware. Open cl support too.

It also needs a severe makeover, and avchd native support.

The performance of FCP also needs some serious attention. I think apple needs to move away from using QuickTime 7 as the base for the program.

Using the same exact media on my Drobo S, the playback performance is like butter on Avid MediaComposer 5 when compared to Final Cut. The difference is really pathetic actually. Apple better have something good this time. The last update was mediocre at best.

Last edited:

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It's as if not a single person has taken a look at the FCP timeline for the last eight years. The last four releases have all been almost exactly two years apart from each other. FCS3 came out in 2009 and that means two years later in 2011 we will see the next iteration. You don't need a divining rod to figure out where the next version is. Pretty simple really.

As to edit systems, the beauty of the advancements that Apple, Adobe, Avid and to some extent Sony have made means that editors are no longer locked in to one system. I have premiere loaded on my system right alongside FCP. Because of the freelance nature of the business I think there are not as many "universal" truths about which app you need to use to cut your show. I would still estimate that there are many more FCP installs in use than Avid.

pmasters

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Because of the freelance nature of the business I think there are not as many "universal" truths about which app you need to use to cut your show. I would still estimate that there are many more FCP installs in use than Avid.

You may be on right if you are just considering installs on Macs. But when you consider Windows boxes, I am pretty sure that percentage of the industry decreases dramatically.

B. Hunter

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2005
Pacific Northwest
With that short reply Dustyn is now armed with all of the information he needs to make a long-term purchasing decision at his post production facility.

The tag line "Sent from my iPad" contains more information than the reply itself.

:rolleyes:

So true!

Based up the release of iLife 11, why should anyone expect major surprises with the next release of FCP?
Its true, Apple has put its focus into the iPhone & iPad. Software programs developed by Apple have been put on the side.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
What about an update for Logic!?? Someone mail the man, he doesn't reply to me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.