Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Kestrel452
macrumors regular

Exclamation

What are the best moving map aviation GPS apps? I saw Air Navigation Pro but was less than thrilled with what I saw. One guy said that the app didn't have a setting for magnetic course and could only do true headings.

I saw ForeFlight as well. Great looking app, but from what I can tell it doesn't have a moving map GPS function.

Any word on what the best aviation moving map GPS would be?

Also, for those of you who have WingX Pro7, do you have to have 3G connected in order to get map data or is it preloaded?

Thanks

Last edited by sushi; Nov 12, 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Merged posts
Kestrel452 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:34 PM   #2
CameraGeek
macrumors newbie

Beacon

Personally I like Beacon North America

As a general statement, 3G is not legal in the cockpit under instrument flight rules....but the technicalities there are squishy at best.

My cell reception has varied widely based on altitude and area....

My two cents
CameraGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Kestrel452
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraGeek View Post
Personally I like Beacon North America

As a general statement, 3G is not legal in the cockpit under instrument flight rules....but the technicalities there are squishy at best.

My cell reception has varied widely based on altitude and area....

My two cents
Using an iPad for IFR situational awareness isn't illegal, but it is illegal to use it as a primary means of navigation.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Mach1.8
macrumors member

IFR stands for "I Follow Roads", right? All you need is Google Maps then !
Mach1.8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:11 PM   #5
Airmark1
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Foreflight Mobile HD has full moving maps. This can be displayed on VFR charts, IFR Low and High charts. And more. You need GPS obviously. Or you can simply swipe you map around where you know you are. Plus Foreflight has the entire US approach plates. These don't have moving map ability though.

Foreflight is a awesome program. This is just the beginning.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Kestrel452
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmark1 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Foreflight Mobile HD has full moving maps. This can be displayed on VFR charts, IFR Low and High charts. And more. You need GPS obviously. Or you can simply swipe you map around where you know you are. Plus Foreflight has the entire US approach plates. These don't have moving map ability though.

Foreflight is a awesome program. This is just the beginning.
Does foreflight have a fully fledged GPS air-navigation system or does it just superimpose the aircraft on a chart? When viewing the moving map, does it show a scanned sectional or a digital one? Will it do the same on an approach plate?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:39 PM   #7
Airmark1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel452 View Post
Does foreflight have a fully fledged GPS air-navigation system or does it just superimpose the aircraft on a chart? When viewing the moving map, does it show a scanned sectional or a digital one? Will it do the same on an approach plate?
Foreflight has no moving map support on the Approach/SID/Star etc. But
the charts are available on the program. And update regularly.

The aircraft symbol is displayed on a very clear version of the exact
same Low/High etc chart that you'd buy. Not sure how they get it on there. All of the charts and seamlessly connected. It is fully zoomable and can be stored on the device for faster display and can use without data access. Once GPS is found a little dot appears. As the signal gets stronger it
appears as a plane and the correct direction shows up. Plus it
displays the GPS Altitude, Course, and Speed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	260167  

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps