Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kestrel452

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
What are the best moving map aviation GPS apps? I saw Air Navigation Pro but was less than thrilled with what I saw. One guy said that the app didn't have a setting for magnetic course and could only do true headings.

I saw ForeFlight as well. Great looking app, but from what I can tell it doesn't have a moving map GPS function.

Any word on what the best aviation moving map GPS would be?

Also, for those of you who have WingX Pro7, do you have to have 3G connected in order to get map data or is it preloaded?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

CameraGeek

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
Chicagoland
Beacon

Personally I like Beacon North America

As a general statement, 3G is not legal in the cockpit under instrument flight rules....but the technicalities there are squishy at best.

My cell reception has varied widely based on altitude and area....

My two cents

Kestrel452

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Personally I like Beacon North America

As a general statement, 3G is not legal in the cockpit under instrument flight rules....but the technicalities there are squishy at best.

My cell reception has varied widely based on altitude and area....

My two cents

Using an iPad for IFR situational awareness isn't illegal, but it is illegal to use it as a primary means of navigation.

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Foreflight Mobile HD has full moving maps. This can be displayed on VFR charts, IFR Low and High charts. And more. You need GPS obviously. Or you can simply swipe you map around where you know you are. Plus Foreflight has the entire US approach plates. These don't have moving map ability though.

Foreflight is a awesome program. This is just the beginning.

Kestrel452

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Foreflight Mobile HD has full moving maps. This can be displayed on VFR charts, IFR Low and High charts. And more. You need GPS obviously. Or you can simply swipe you map around where you know you are. Plus Foreflight has the entire US approach plates. These don't have moving map ability though.

Foreflight is a awesome program. This is just the beginning.

Does foreflight have a fully fledged GPS air-navigation system or does it just superimpose the aircraft on a chart? When viewing the moving map, does it show a scanned sectional or a digital one? Will it do the same on an approach plate?

Airmark1

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Does foreflight have a fully fledged GPS air-navigation system or does it just superimpose the aircraft on a chart? When viewing the moving map, does it show a scanned sectional or a digital one? Will it do the same on an approach plate?

Foreflight has no moving map support on the Approach/SID/Star etc. But
the charts are available on the program. And update regularly.

The aircraft symbol is displayed on a very clear version of the exact
same Low/High etc chart that you'd buy. Not sure how they get it on there. All of the charts and seamlessly connected. It is fully zoomable and can be stored on the device for faster display and can use without data access. Once GPS is found a little dot appears. As the signal gets stronger it
appears as a plane and the correct direction shows up. Plus it
displays the GPS Altitude, Course, and Speed.

Attachments

• map.jpeg
    map.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 122
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.