Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waltercln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
after my success story at ifixdirect i had a friend who wants to sell his iPhone4 to get a droid (I don't know why, to each his own) but he converted it to white from the same place in hopes to make extra on it to buy a droid. I directed him to ifixdirect and straight to eBay he went with it. This is where it gets funny. After a couple of days and at $660 the bid stood, he received an email from ebay that stated this.

Dear, ...................................

You recently listed the following listing:

250723342064 - Apple iPhone 4 WHITE 16 GB FaceTime HTF + Bumper & More

Your listing has been removed.

Your item was removed because of a request we received from Apple, Inc., a member of our Verified Rights Owner Program (VeRO), asking us to remove the item for:

- Item(s) is a counterfeit product which infringes the trademark owner's rights.

For more information on why your item was removed, you should:
- Contact Apple, Inc. directly at apple@gibney.com with your questions or concerns.
- Wait 7 days for Apple, Inc. to reply to you. Although most VeRO participants are willing to respond to polite email, please know that they aren't obligated to reply.
- If after 7 days you haven't received a response from Apple, Inc., please contact us by simply replying to this email.

The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, Apple, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

It's against the law to sell fake, counterfeit, or pirated products.

Your listing was removed because the item in your listing was reported by the rights owner as a fake or counterfeit through eBay's VeRO Program. Due to this report, please do not attempt to relist, advertise, or offer this item for sale on any eBay site or service around the world.

so the white iPhone is considered a counterfeit fake product, and not a modded phone. He doesn't want extreme cash in return for the phone just enough to break even and break away to droid. have no idea how he is going to sell it now lol, Does anyone know of other auction sites that are any good?

i just thought this story was interesting and a heads up to anyone that wants to sell on ebay. apple is watching.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I think Apple is just upset that someone else was able to get the "color matching" correct faster than they could :rolleyes:

ufcfighter

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
I wonder what would happen if he listed it as a black iPhone that was converted into a white one? Because technically that is not breaking the rules. Just a suggestion, the worst thing that would happen is that they would shut it down again but I don't know why they would. That might be another option.

peteisanidiot

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I wonder what would happen if he listed it as a black iPhone that was converted into a white one? Because technically that is not breaking the rules. Just a suggestion, the worst thing that would happen is that they would shut it down again but I don't know why they would. That might be another option.
that's actually how it was listed. the black parts were included and it was clearly stated to be a black-to-white modded device.

seems a bit out of line for it to be canceled. you can sell a car with an aftermarket paint job...

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010

This is worth a shot. Do they have the right to shut down something that a customer buys and then lists it as modified? Try listing it as "Modded iPhone 4 (black to white)" and see what happens.

craigslist is a good second option, but there are a bunch of kooks who live there.

strodda

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
or just post a picture of the phone and sell it as a "non-black" iphone.

or spell it wh1te.;)

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Here is what I would try.. If Apple really watches for these types of auctions then they are most likely doing it by searching for keywords in titles. Have your friend modify the title and have something like "color conversion" or spell "white" as "wh1te" or "wh!te". Worth a shot IMO.

ufcfighter

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
that's actually how it was listed. the black parts were included and it was clearly stated to be a black-to-white modded device.

seems a bit out of line for it to be canceled. you can sell a car with an aftermarket paint job...
I think how he titled the auction is what got him. And your right, if you own the product and want to paint it or do whatever you want to do with it, that is your right. I don't see how apple can step in and do anything about it. That is like buying a corvette and adding ghost flames and the have GM go to eBay and have the auction shut down because they never sold a corvette with ghost flames. I personally would not use craig's list but there has to be a way around this and still use eBay.

waltercln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
i forwarded all the replies, thanks for your help. He's going to try again, this time a one day auction see how that goes. apple has balls to do something like this though.

yankintx

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2010
after my success story at ifixdirect i had a friend who wants to sell his iPhone4 to get a droid (I don't know why, to each his own) but he converted it to white from the same place in hopes to make extra on it to buy a droid. I directed him to ifixdirect and straight to eBay he went with it. This is where it gets funny. After a couple of days and at $660 the bid stood, he received an email from ebay that stated this.

Dear, ...................................

You recently listed the following listing:

250723342064 - Apple iPhone 4 WHITE 16 GB FaceTime HTF + Bumper & More

Your listing has been removed.

Your item was removed because of a request we received from Apple, Inc., a member of our Verified Rights Owner Program (VeRO), asking us to remove the item for:

- Item(s) is a counterfeit product which infringes the trademark owner's rights.

For more information on why your item was removed, you should:
- Contact Apple, Inc. directly at apple@gibney.com with your questions or concerns.
- Wait 7 days for Apple, Inc. to reply to you. Although most VeRO participants are willing to respond to polite email, please know that they aren't obligated to reply.
- If after 7 days you haven't received a response from Apple, Inc., please contact us by simply replying to this email.

The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, Apple, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

It's against the law to sell fake, counterfeit, or pirated products.

Your listing was removed because the item in your listing was reported by the rights owner as a fake or counterfeit through eBay's VeRO Program. Due to this report, please do not attempt to relist, advertise, or offer this item for sale on any eBay site or service around the world.

so the white iPhone is considered a counterfeit fake product, and not a modded phone. He doesn't want extreme cash in return for the phone just enough to break even and break away to droid. have no idea how he is going to sell it now lol, Does anyone know of other auction sites that are any good?

i just thought this story was interesting and a heads up to anyone that wants to sell on ebay. apple is watching.

Did your friend just list it as a white iphone or did he state that he modded it to make it white?

waltercln

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Did your friend just list it as a white iphone or did he state that he modded it to make it white ?

he stated that he modded it to make it white. he was also selling the black original parts with it and included pictures.

SophiaLee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Once Ebay shuts down one of your auctions you are watched like a hawk for awhile. I wouldn't suggest listing it again. They can ban you for trying to sell a pulled item again.

He has to get permission from the VERO member (Apple) to list it again.

mabazzaba

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
I've seen some white iPhones on eBay claiming to use all OEM parts. How is that even possible? Excuse me if this has already been explained, but I jumped off the bandwagon a while ago when they effed us with news that it's not coming out anymore (or pushed it to spring, whatever). After being an iPhone user since '07 (1st gen & 3g), I ordered a Samsung Omnia 7 :D

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I've seen some white iPhones on eBay claiming to use all OEM parts. How is that even possible? Excuse me if this has already been explained, but I jumped off the bandwagon a while ago when they effed us with news that it's not coming out anymore (or pushed it to spring, whatever). After being an iPhone user since '07 (1st gen & 3g), I ordered a Samsung Omnia 7 :D

i think OEM means Original Equipment Manufacture, so the parts could be made by the same company that makes them for Apple just not distrubuted by apple

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
Its because as I have said before Apples next iPhone 4 will be PINK! They have been producing pink glass for about a month to a month and a half now.

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
That story I saw on the news. What got him in trouble was saying he bought the parts from foxconn which is highly unlikely. Look at iresq for example they sell the white conversion and they have not got in trouble. Why? Because they make NO mention of buying form foxxconn. You can not buy parts from foxconn to begin with they are run tighter and better than most governments.

Now could they be stolen parts? Who knows but if people are committing suicide over being locked up at foxconn during manufacturing I do not see how they would get out. But it could happen. Now apple prob. saw this ( as they see everything ) and came down on foxconn in turn maybe its foxconn putting the pressure on the person in the story.

Last edited:

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Has anybody walked into an Apple Store and showed off their modified white iPhone 4 to any of the "Geniuses"?

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
That makes me wonder, for those of you with modified ones, has anyone noticed them and said anything, or do most people not realize the white iPhone isn't out yet?

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
That makes me wonder, for those of you with modified ones, has anyone noticed them and said anything, or do most people not realize the white iPhone isn't out yet?

Someone asked me yesterday where i got my white iPhone. For the most part nobody else has noticed but I really don't go around showing it off.

fender57

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
That story I saw on the news. What got him in trouble was saying he bought the parts from foxconn which is highly unlikely. Look at iresq for example they sell the white conversion and they have not got in trouble. Why? Because they make NO mention of buying form foxxconn. You can not buy parts from foxconn to begin with they are run tighter and better than most governments.

Looks like iresq has removed their white conversion service from their website. They are still selling backplates however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.