Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1
waltercln
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Apple Not Allowing White iPhone 4 to be Sold on eBay

after my success story at ifixdirect i had a friend who wants to sell his iPhone4 to get a droid (I don't know why, to each his own) but he converted it to white from the same place in hopes to make extra on it to buy a droid. I directed him to ifixdirect and straight to eBay he went with it. This is where it gets funny. After a couple of days and at $660 the bid stood, he received an email from ebay that stated this.

Dear, ...................................

You recently listed the following listing:

250723342064 - Apple iPhone 4 WHITE 16 GB FaceTime HTF + Bumper & More


Your listing has been removed.

Your item was removed because of a request we received from Apple, Inc., a member of our Verified Rights Owner Program (VeRO), asking us to remove the item for:

- Item(s) is a counterfeit product which infringes the trademark owner's rights.

For more information on why your item was removed, you should:
- Contact Apple, Inc. directly at apple@gibney.com with your questions or concerns.
- Wait 7 days for Apple, Inc. to reply to you. Although most VeRO participants are willing to respond to polite email, please know that they aren't obligated to reply.
- If after 7 days you haven't received a response from Apple, Inc., please contact us by simply replying to this email.

The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, Apple, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.



It's against the law to sell fake, counterfeit, or pirated products.

Your listing was removed because the item in your listing was reported by the rights owner as a fake or counterfeit through eBay's VeRO Program. Due to this report, please do not attempt to relist, advertise, or offer this item for sale on any eBay site or service around the world.




so the white iPhone is considered a counterfeit fake product, and not a modded phone. He doesn't want extreme cash in return for the phone just enough to break even and break away to droid. have no idea how he is going to sell it now lol, Does anyone know of other auction sites that are any good?

i just thought this story was interesting and a heads up to anyone that wants to sell on ebay. apple is watching.
waltercln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:37 PM   #2
Rooskibar03
macrumors 65816
 
Rooskibar03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: State of Denial
Craigslist.

Might not bring as much, but I doubt Apple looks for "counterfeit" items there.
__________________
If I listed all my Apple related toys here my wife would kill me.
Rooskibar03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:38 PM   #3
SophiaLee
macrumors 6502a
 
SophiaLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
craigslist
SophiaLee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:58 PM   #4
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040
 
h1r0ll3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland
I think Apple is just upset that someone else was able to get the "color matching" correct faster than they could
__________________
15" MBP iPad (3rd Gen) iPod Nano (6th Gen) & 160GB Classic ATV
Galaxy Note 2
h1r0ll3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:00 PM   #5
ufcfighter
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I wonder what would happen if he listed it as a black iPhone that was converted into a white one? Because technically that is not breaking the rules. Just a suggestion, the worst thing that would happen is that they would shut it down again but I don't know why they would. That might be another option.
ufcfighter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:34 PM   #6
peteisanidiot
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfighter View Post
I wonder what would happen if he listed it as a black iPhone that was converted into a white one? Because technically that is not breaking the rules. Just a suggestion, the worst thing that would happen is that they would shut it down again but I don't know why they would. That might be another option.
that's actually how it was listed. the black parts were included and it was clearly stated to be a black-to-white modded device.

seems a bit out of line for it to be canceled. you can sell a car with an aftermarket paint job...
peteisanidiot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:35 PM   #7
fender57
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcfighter View Post
I wonder what would happen if he listed it as a black iPhone that was converted into a white one? Because technically that is not breaking the rules. Just a suggestion, the worst thing that would happen is that they would shut it down again but I don't know why they would. That might be another option.
This is worth a shot. Do they have the right to shut down something that a customer buys and then lists it as modified? Try listing it as "Modded iPhone 4 (black to white)" and see what happens.

craigslist is a good second option, but there are a bunch of kooks who live there.
fender57 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:40 PM   #8
strodda
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
or just post a picture of the phone and sell it as a "non-black" iphone.


or spell it wh1te.
strodda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:43 PM   #9
Karnivore
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Here is what I would try.. If Apple really watches for these types of auctions then they are most likely doing it by searching for keywords in titles. Have your friend modify the title and have something like "color conversion" or spell "white" as "wh1te" or "wh!te". Worth a shot IMO.
__________________
2010 13" MBP + Samsung Galaxy Note = Harmony
Karnivore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:45 PM   #10
ufcfighter
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteisanidiot View Post
that's actually how it was listed. the black parts were included and it was clearly stated to be a black-to-white modded device.

seems a bit out of line for it to be canceled. you can sell a car with an aftermarket paint job...
I think how he titled the auction is what got him. And your right, if you own the product and want to paint it or do whatever you want to do with it, that is your right. I don't see how apple can step in and do anything about it. That is like buying a corvette and adding ghost flames and the have GM go to eBay and have the auction shut down because they never sold a corvette with ghost flames. I personally would not use craig's list but there has to be a way around this and still use eBay.
ufcfighter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:07 PM   #11
waltercln
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
i forwarded all the replies, thanks for your help. He's going to try again, this time a one day auction see how that goes. apple has balls to do something like this though.
waltercln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 06:37 PM   #12
yankintx
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltercln View Post
after my success story at ifixdirect i had a friend who wants to sell his iPhone4 to get a droid (I don't know why, to each his own) but he converted it to white from the same place in hopes to make extra on it to buy a droid. I directed him to ifixdirect and straight to eBay he went with it. This is where it gets funny. After a couple of days and at $660 the bid stood, he received an email from ebay that stated this.

Dear, ...................................

You recently listed the following listing:

250723342064 - Apple iPhone 4 WHITE 16 GB FaceTime HTF + Bumper & More


Your listing has been removed.

Your item was removed because of a request we received from Apple, Inc., a member of our Verified Rights Owner Program (VeRO), asking us to remove the item for:

- Item(s) is a counterfeit product which infringes the trademark owner's rights.

For more information on why your item was removed, you should:
- Contact Apple, Inc. directly at apple@gibney.com with your questions or concerns.
- Wait 7 days for Apple, Inc. to reply to you. Although most VeRO participants are willing to respond to polite email, please know that they aren't obligated to reply.
- If after 7 days you haven't received a response from Apple, Inc., please contact us by simply replying to this email.

The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, Apple, Inc., notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.



It's against the law to sell fake, counterfeit, or pirated products.

Your listing was removed because the item in your listing was reported by the rights owner as a fake or counterfeit through eBay's VeRO Program. Due to this report, please do not attempt to relist, advertise, or offer this item for sale on any eBay site or service around the world.




so the white iPhone is considered a counterfeit fake product, and not a modded phone. He doesn't want extreme cash in return for the phone just enough to break even and break away to droid. have no idea how he is going to sell it now lol, Does anyone know of other auction sites that are any good?

i just thought this story was interesting and a heads up to anyone that wants to sell on ebay. apple is watching.
Did your friend just list it as a white iphone or did he state that he modded it to make it white?
yankintx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 07:21 PM   #13
waltercln
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankintx View Post
Did your friend just list it as a white iphone or did he state that he modded it to make it white ?
he stated that he modded it to make it white. he was also selling the black original parts with it and included pictures.
waltercln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:32 AM   #14
SophiaLee
macrumors 6502a
 
SophiaLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Once Ebay shuts down one of your auctions you are watched like a hawk for awhile. I wouldn't suggest listing it again. They can ban you for trying to sell a pulled item again.

He has to get permission from the VERO member (Apple) to list it again.
SophiaLee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:50 PM   #15
mabazzaba
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I've seen some white iPhones on eBay claiming to use all OEM parts. How is that even possible? Excuse me if this has already been explained, but I jumped off the bandwagon a while ago when they effed us with news that it's not coming out anymore (or pushed it to spring, whatever). After being an iPhone user since '07 (1st gen & 3g), I ordered a Samsung Omnia 7
mabazzaba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 06:05 PM   #16
Rooskibar03
macrumors 65816
 
Rooskibar03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: State of Denial
I ran a search over at the bay and there was at least a dozen white IP4's for sale on the first page.

Wonder why yours was pulled?
__________________
If I listed all my Apple related toys here my wife would kill me.
Rooskibar03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:14 AM   #17
Sherifftruman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
According to a posting over at TUAW, Apple is cracking down or at least trying to by sending a nastygram from their lawyers to a kid selling full conversion kits. It mentions they are blocking eBay auctions also. http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/17/white...eur-in-hot-wa/
Sherifftruman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:43 AM   #18
heisenberg123
macrumors 603
 
heisenberg123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabazzaba View Post
I've seen some white iPhones on eBay claiming to use all OEM parts. How is that even possible? Excuse me if this has already been explained, but I jumped off the bandwagon a while ago when they effed us with news that it's not coming out anymore (or pushed it to spring, whatever). After being an iPhone user since '07 (1st gen & 3g), I ordered a Samsung Omnia 7
i think OEM means Original Equipment Manufacture, so the parts could be made by the same company that makes them for Apple just not distrubuted by apple
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:53 AM   #19
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a
 
DEE9299's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston Mass.
Its because as I have said before Apples next iPhone 4 will be PINK! They have been producing pink glass for about a month to a month and a half now.
__________________
http://www.cellular-medic.com
info@cellular-medic.com
508-436-0518
DEE9299 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:13 AM   #20
DEE9299
macrumors 6502a
 
DEE9299's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston Mass.
That story I saw on the news. What got him in trouble was saying he bought the parts from foxconn which is highly unlikely. Look at iresq for example they sell the white conversion and they have not got in trouble. Why? Because they make NO mention of buying form foxxconn. You can not buy parts from foxconn to begin with they are run tighter and better than most governments.

Now could they be stolen parts? Who knows but if people are committing suicide over being locked up at foxconn during manufacturing I do not see how they would get out. But it could happen. Now apple prob. saw this ( as they see everything ) and came down on foxconn in turn maybe its foxconn putting the pressure on the person in the story.
__________________
http://www.cellular-medic.com
info@cellular-medic.com
508-436-0518

Last edited by DEE9299; Nov 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: sp. error and more info
DEE9299 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:10 PM   #21
fender57
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Has anybody walked into an Apple Store and showed off their modified white iPhone 4 to any of the "Geniuses"?
fender57 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:12 PM   #22
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604
 
SchneiderMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fender57 View Post
Has anybody walked into an Apple Store and showed off their modified white iPhone 4 to any of the "Geniuses"?
Nope but I was at a Geniuse bar yesterday with my white iPhone 4 lol. Didn't show it off..
__________________
SchneiderMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:22 PM   #23
Brien
macrumors 68000
 
Brien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
That makes me wonder, for those of you with modified ones, has anyone noticed them and said anything, or do most people not realize the white iPhone isn't out yet?
Brien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:33 PM   #24
fender57
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brien View Post
That makes me wonder, for those of you with modified ones, has anyone noticed them and said anything, or do most people not realize the white iPhone isn't out yet?
Someone asked me yesterday where i got my white iPhone. For the most part nobody else has noticed but I really don't go around showing it off.
fender57 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:01 PM   #25
fender57
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEE9299 View Post
That story I saw on the news. What got him in trouble was saying he bought the parts from foxconn which is highly unlikely. Look at iresq for example they sell the white conversion and they have not got in trouble. Why? Because they make NO mention of buying form foxxconn. You can not buy parts from foxconn to begin with they are run tighter and better than most governments.
Looks like iresq has removed their white conversion service from their website. They are still selling backplates however.
fender57 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White iPhone 4 Light Leakage? vampireszombies iPhone 8 May 22, 2011 03:29 PM
The real white iPhone 4 with images next to the black one for comparison iTunes-Luv iPhone 33 Apr 28, 2011 07:20 AM
iPhone 4 to be sold on Vodafone (NL) BillyBobBongo iPhone 3 Oct 20, 2010 06:51 AM
iPhone 3G is being sold on ebay? thechidz iPhone 0 Jul 12, 2008 01:01 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC