Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Hacks

Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:54 PM   #1
swy05
macrumors 6502

How to backup jailbroken ipad (apps included) ??

Tried doing a couple of searches but couldn't find a direct answer.

How do I backup my jailbroken ipad? I would like to have the jailbroken apps backed up as well.

It's not something simple like connecting to itunes to backup correct?

Also, later down the road if I wanted to restore from backup, would I be able to choose which backup to restore from (if 1 choice was a clean non-jailbroken restore and the other is the jailbroken restore)?

Thanks!
swy05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:58 PM   #2
ulbador
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by swy05 View Post
Tried doing a couple of searches but couldn't find a direct answer.

How do I backup my jailbroken ipad? I would like to have the jailbroken apps backed up as well.

It's not something simple like connecting to itunes to backup correct?

Also, later down the road if I wanted to restore from backup, would I be able to choose which backup to restore from (if 1 choice was a clean non-jailbroken restore and the other is the jailbroken restore)?

Thanks!
I'm not sure if there is a universal app to accomplish this. Jailbroken apps especially are basically required to store their stuff all over the filesystem, so it would be almost impossible to effectively back it all up.

For me, it's usually a three or four pronged approach. PKGBackup and AppBackup are the first two steps. PKGbackup will allow you to one-click backup all your jailbroken apps, and then one-click restore them. This is a godsend if you have a good number of Cydia packages installed. AppBackup will allow you to save all your AppStore data (Angry Birds or PvZ save games anyone?) and back it up to your computer. If you toss in SBOrganizer, PKGBackup will also save your app layout. You just have to make sure you sync your contacts somehow after you run PKGBackup.

Next, I take note of some of the other things that are important to me like SMS or Pictures. Pictures can be handled just by syncing with your computer and backing them up into iPhoto. With SMS you actually have to copy your SMS.db file off the phone and copy it back when the phone is up and running again with the jailbreak.

The bottom line is once you update your phone and restore it as new, you can just reverse the steps and restore all the stuff that is important. While you CAN restore a backup instead of setting up as new, this ultimately usually causes a ton of problems.

While it is definitely not a one step process, you can restore your phone to a 95% semblance of what it was before you upgraded. I say 95% because you might have to redo some of the setup and configurations on the jailbroken apps. Like the last time, I had to reset my Shrink preferences to 66% size as well as rehiding all the icons I don't like to see.
ulbador is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Hacks