Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

A Few Thoughts on Apple's Macworld Expo News

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: A Few Thoughts on Apple\'s Macworld Expo News
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2005, 01:36 PM   #2
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quibbles:

"Apple's philosophy of releasing frequent, reasonably major OS updates differs radically from that of Microsoft, which tends to do great big updates every few years."

Reality: Apple has a NEW OS, which therefore is evolving faster! It has been slowing down, as is natural for a new OS. Microsoft, on the other hand, would LIKE to release OS upgrades sooner, but can't get them done even CLOSE to when they plan to.

"$500 will still get you a Windows machine with higher specs, not to mention a display, keyboard, and mouse."

"Will" is the wrong word. That Windows machine CAN be found--or built--but it's NOT typical. Adding stuff to Dell's bottom machine to make it even close to a Mini put me way over the Mini's price. He seems to be saying that Apple has to be THE cheapest PC in the world. It's not. Neither is Dell. Neither are most PCs people buy. Seriously--$500 for a BETTER machine than the Mini, with display? That's supposed to be typical of the PC market Apple wants to break into? Apple should be held to a lower price standard than big-selling Dell?

And that Windows machine will have SOME higher specs--like Mhz... AND some lower! (VRAM, Firewire, noise output, and optical mouse are likely to be failings of that PC. It may not even have a DVD player or CD-burner, from my own shopping.)
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2005, 02:06 PM   #3
24C
macrumors 6502a

So many preconceptions in this article, that I'd hate to be Harry McCracken's mailbox...another doltish piece.
24C is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2005, 03:30 PM   #4
ZildjianKX

Well, the Mini is a good deal as macs go, but not as PCs go. It's nice to see any entry level mac... especially for developers.

As PCs go, my friend recently bought a 3 GHz P4 Dell with a 17" monitor for $599, and it even includes a mouse and keyboard...

I'll probably end up buying a Mini for work for many uses just for its size alone.
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old Jan 13, 2005, 04:48 PM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G5

But what could he DO with that Ghz? It had some things a $499 Mini + $100 CRT wouldn't have. But the Mini too has some VERY valuable features the Dell wouldn't have. Did the Dell have a Combo drive, Firewire to connect a camcorder, safety from viruses, and a bundle of software that can touch iLife '05? Those aren't "paying for style" as they say, those are real value.

Also, to get the best price at Dell seems to be a matter of jumping on the right promotion, like one-day-only sales.
nagromme is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion