Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Hello....

I just went outside and attempted to start my vehicle (2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS) and when I turned the key all the lights came on in the dash and it made an extremely loud "screeching" noise. I don't even know how to explain the noise it made, I haven't heard anything like it. It just went purrrrrrrr-renttttttt.

Really loud. The battery is fine as the electronic part of the car is functioning (door locks, etc). It just won't start.

Actually, it started doing this two days ago. It would do it. I'd turn the key back and start it again and it would start fine. It does it every two times I start the car. But now it won't start at all it just keeps screaming at me.

It sounds like it's coming from the fan area (?), but I honestly have no idea.

Also, I had the intake manifold replaced around six months ago.

I'm really sad...

EDIT: I guess the point of this thread is: Does anyone have any idea about what could possible be wrong with my car or things to test? I need a car...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Dearest imake, does this seem like CarTalk to you?

Anyways, my guess is a slipping belt. Probably the belt that connects the starter to the rest of the engine. Does it make the noise only when the key is in the start potion?

(Don't drive like my brother)

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Dearest imake, does this seem like CarTalk to you?

Anyways, my guess is a slipping belt. Probably the belt that connects the starter to the rest of the engine. Does it make the noise only when the key is in the start potion?

(Don't drive like my brother)

Yes, it's only when it's in the start position. It will make it as long as I keep it there.

Do you have any ideas on how to fix it?!?!

I'm quite ambitious and I'm not afraid to try and fix things myself.

I actually took my door apart and fixed the little keyless entry pad on my driver's side door....It was difficult to say the least.

Thanks!

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Can you make a video and upload to hear what the sound is? Just a prrrr-rent doesn't make it enough. Also, a small like sorta walkthrough video would be nice.

However, one small tiniest of questions...
Have you changed the oil?

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Can you make a video and upload to hear what the sound is? Just a prrrr-rent doesn't make it enough. Also, a small like sorta walkthrough video would be nice.

However, one small tiniest of questions...
Have you changed the oil?

Video is being uploaded...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
The starter is busted. However, curious thing is, if it is the starter, it should not even make a sound. It is the starter, just read something on it via Google. However, take it to a mechanic for confirmation. Just mention you think it's the Starter so that the mechanic has an overall quick idea.

It could also be the internal Timing Belt.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

The starter has a solenoid that makes a shaft with a gear on the end pop out so that it can turn the flywheel, which is pretty much a big gear. The sound you are hearing is the starter gear grinding against the flywheel. You could also be missing a few teeth on the flywheel and when it happens to stop spinning in the right spot, the starter gear just spins around because the teeth are missing there. Time for a good mechanic.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
The starter is busted. However, curious thing is, if it is the starter, it should not even make a sound.

It could also be the internal Timing Belt.

This is all so fantastical, all of this information....

Now, how/what do I do to fix/figure out what is wrong with my car.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I amended my response.

How to fix it? Well, you need a new Starter. Those puppies can go anything from $110 to $200 a pop; depending on year, make, model of your vehicle.

That's awesome!

Anyone wanna buy a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
That's awesome!

Anyone wanna buy a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS?

Be sure to check with your mechanic first! Here we can only guess with what evidence you give us and from our limited knowledge. A Mechanic will know much more and can determine with greater accuracy than us if it is in fact the Starter (could be something else as well).

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Be sure to check with your mechanic first! Here we can only guess with what evidence you give us and from our limited knowledge. A Mechanic will know much more and can determine with greater accuracy than us if it is in fact the Starter (could be something else as well). Then charge me several hundred dollars

I fixed your post and added the best part about a mechanic....

Disc Golfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Definitely starter gear. If you can get the car into neutral and get it rolling, then turn the key, you should be able to get it started.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.