Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:55 PM   #1
cankid96
macrumors newbie

ipod nano 7th gen? :)

So i like the 6th gen and the whole fashion accessory/ mini touch screen player that apple's trying to market it as, but they left out too many features for a player that had a good market, to turn it into a completly different product with a slightly different market.

Soooo I'm hoping by next year, apple will create the iWatch and the ipod nano, creating 2 differnet products.
My personal wish list features of the nano would be
-bigger screen, 2.2-2.8,
-longer and more of a candybar shape
-thin, smooth, minimalistic design with volume buttons, lock/power button
-if its small enough to have a clip, keep it, if not, lose it
-speaker
-same multi touch screen
-higher res
-video playback!!!
-ability to choose backround...
-an IOS lite type of UI or a completly different UI cuz I'm bored by the bland grid type UI
-possible App Store compatibility for some/half of the apps

And thats all i can think of, do u guys have any other ideas?
cankid96 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:06 PM   #2
wywern209
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by cankid96 View Post
So i like the 6th gen and the whole fashion accessory/ mini touch screen player that apple's trying to market it as, but they left out too many features for a player that had a good market, to turn it into a completly different product with a slightly different market.

Soooo I'm hoping by next year, apple will create the iWatch and the ipod nano, creating 2 differnet products.
-bigger screen, 2.2-2.8,
-speaker
-same multi touch screen
-higher res
-video playback!!!
-an IOS lite type of UI or a completly different UI cuz I'm bored by the bland grid type UI

so you just want a ipod touch...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:25 AM   #3
My name is Alex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 View Post
+1. If you want more functionality, get the touch. If you want a music player alone, the nano is your best and coolest pick.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:29 AM   #4
Shaneuk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Haha.

You'll be able to change the background soon anyway, if someone comes up with a jailbreak for it or apple comes up with firmware update. If someone comes up with a jailbreak no doubt they'll enable video playback on it, I see it as pretty pointless because the screen is so small.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 08:33 AM   #5
hcho3
macrumors 68030

You can choose background... right now on Nano. Are you talking about adding your own?

Also, all of those features are available on iPod touch or iPhone. Apple is not a company that likes to make things bigger and thicker. This company always look for a way to make it smaller and thinner.

Next iPod nano will be very minor update like more memory and add bluetooth. Maybe slightly bigger screen, but that is in very doubt as well. Speaker? yea.. no thx. The sound will be crap.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:18 AM   #6
Brucewl
Banned

I think the higher resolution is not necessary if the screen is small...
Brucewl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Kaeso
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Well said.
My idea for the new nano is to keep the current size but go totally wireless. Ditch the 30pin connector and have wireless sync and charging, and get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack and use bluetooth only. Also It would be nice to have a removable clip.
Kaeso is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:56 PM   #8
cankid96
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
Well said.
My idea for the new nano is to keep the current size but go totally wireless. Ditch the 30pin connector and have wireless sync and charging, and get rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack and use bluetooth only. Also It would be nice to have a removable clip.
wow that won't happen for at least.... 5 years im guessing. The bluetooth could happen for the next gen but wirless sync and charging,

Of course im talking about without the use of other accessories/products like powermat

Last edited by cankid96; Dec 29, 2010 at 01:11 PM.
cankid96 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 09:08 AM   #9
ARTniyet
macrumors newbie

it will be nice that using different watch applications in the next gen. so there will be one device "n" watches...
ARTniyet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 07:21 AM   #10
samywamy10
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to samywamy10 Send a message via Skype™ to samywamy10
I think a widescreen format with a higher resolution screen would be good for videos. You could still have it in the watch format...just a wide watch.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Rick America
macrumors member

If they simply added an external buzzer for the alarm clock, I'd be all in. I don't need an external speaker.
Rick America is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:14 PM   #12
Armeniandave
macrumors 6502

Really want bluetooth for the gym.
That is the only thing holding me back.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:57 PM   #13
irishtike
macrumors member

Bluetooth seems like the best way to upgrade for apple, but you have to take into account some other features. mainly the FM Radio, it uses the cord of the headphones as its antenna, you put bluetooth in it and they have to find a new place for the antenna, or remove the FM Radio feature altogether (something apple has no problem with doing i.e the nanos video camera and playback).
irishtike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:29 PM   #14
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

7th = 5th!!! (with 32GB)

The 5th was just about perfect in every way. Apple thru out the baby with the bathwater when they "shufflized" the Nano and eliminated just about everything that made the 5G so great.

The 5G was deliberately "gutted" to drive people towards the Touch. The 5G was a case of being a bit "too good" for its place in the iPod family. Which would have been ok when Apple was still run by engineers, and not by busyness types.
SeattleMoose is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:31 PM   #15
iEvolution
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMoose View Post
The 5th was just about perfect in every way. Apple thru out the baby with the bathwater when they "shufflized" the Nano and eliminated just about everything that made the 5G so great.

The 5G was deliberately "gutted" to drive people towards the Touch. The 5G was a case of being a bit "too good" for its place in the iPod family. Which would have been ok when Apple was still run by engineers, and not by busyness types.
Yeah they've pretty much stopped doing anything with the iPod line..downgraded the features of the iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle is the same design as it was 5 years ago, and the iPod Classic is the same for 4 years now.

Apple is only interested in the iPod Touch it seems as far as iPods go..real shame for those of us that are simply interested in a multimedia device rather than a internet/application device.

Next year we won't see a capacity upgrade to the nano, the classic MIGHT get the 220GB hard drive and the iPod touch will get most of the updates.

If it wasn't for the fact a good chunk of my iTunes purchases are DRM I would probably be looking for a alternative for a music player.

All this being said I really dig the 6th gen nano, though I'm all about music. Its really not all that difficult to use it on the fly. Definitely my favorite of the nano line. Only thing I'm interested in now is the elusive 32GB capacity bump and a bit of a increase of screen size.

I have a iPod touch but for music its just horrible. If they added two seek buttons to the iPod touch it'd be a game changer, in fact I'd probably use it as a primary music player rather than a app device.

Last edited by iEvolution; Jun 18, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
iEvolution is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 03:02 AM   #16
Islandz
macrumors newbie

Bluetooth, more apps (Calculator, Calendar), front-facing camera for wifi FaceTime
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:29 PM   #17
Le Buzz
macrumors member

I am really looking forward to the new 7th gen nano. I think apple has something up it's sleeves for this one. This is a company that continues to amaze us.

I don't think this is a product that apple will just "let die" as some have led to believe. What I want and think (hope is more like it?) might happen in Sept:

- wifi (with iCloud now this seems like a no-brainer)
- bluetooth
- ability to run music apps like pandora, rhapsody. I hate having to use my iphone for these apps. Let's face it, as awesome as the touch/iphone are, they are just too big.
- wider screen and video playback
- better backgrounds and a better high contrast setting (I hate how the album covers look on the current nano under this setting)

Among other little things but these are the main ones.

They also need to bring back the black and white nano. I actually emailed apple about this. Not many options for guys right now other than silver.

Last edited by Le Buzz; Jun 28, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Le Buzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:50 PM   #18
gpat
macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth, with ability to get your music from your iphone, either locally stored tracks or the ones on iTunes Cloud.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:14 PM   #19
appleguy123
macrumors 603

It should have the resolution of the first iPhone, and be able to run apps. That's all I think should be changed.
appleguy123 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:37 PM   #20
k0m4r1k
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to k0m4r1k
!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cankid96 View Post

-bigger screen, 2.2-2.8,
-speaker
-same multi touch screen
-higher res
-video playback!!!

I think they should make a new version of the classic ( I know, classic means classic!) with a speaker, camera(if they dont mess it up!!!) and thinner design. And typical apple repertoire of putting like a billion TB of memory.
k0m4r1k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 03:14 AM   #21
CHSeifert
macrumors 6502

I just bought the Nano 6.th Touch 16 GB in golden orange and only thing I would like in the 7.th generation would be:

1. 32 GB storage
2. High resolution screen for better looking album art

I ONLY bought my Nano for use in the gym. Even though Bluetooth would be nice, I still like to listen to FM radio, and since the headphone chord is the antenna and Bluetooth headphones need recharging - I don't want this feature in this small music/radio device.

Video playback - get an iPod Touch or an iPhone !!!!

I like that the new Nano Touch is small, lightweight and has great batterylife. It's a true MUSIC player, PERFECT for the gym.

In all other situations than at the gym, I ALWAYS ALWAYS carry my iPhone 4 32GB, with a loaded music library on me, so why people need to fill all these crap things in this little perfect gym music player called the iPod Nano Touch is beyond me ?!?

The iPod nano Touch is perfect as it is for the gym. Please Apple don't ruin it !!

Last edited by angelwatt; Jul 24, 2011 at 04:21 PM.
CHSeifert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 03:18 AM   #22
CHSeifert
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Buzz View Post
They also need to bring back the black and white nano. I actually emailed apple about this. Not many options for guys right now other than silver.
I'm a grown man, and my iPad is black, my iPhone is black, my MBA is silver, my iMac is silver, my thinkpad worklaptop is black.

What a relief to FINALLY get something other than black, silver and black !!!!!

Bought the orange IPod Nano Touch 16GB - and it looks awesome in the golden orange color, perfect for the gym

Nice fresh color - guys over 40 just looks so pale in their conservative insecure color choices - black, grey, White and blue !!

Not saying all men should wear pink and yellow, but let's lighten up a bit

Last edited by angelwatt; Jul 24, 2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 09:54 PM   #23
hcho3
macrumors 68030

iPod nano will stay in this design for a long time.

Apple will probably add something to support iCloud. So, this will allow iPod nano to be compatible with iCloud, wireless sync and wireless charge.

Other than that... don't expect anything else.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:26 PM   #24
Le Buzz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
I'm a grown man, and my iPad is black, my iPhone is black, my MBA is silver, my iMac is silver, my thinkpad worklaptop is black.

What a relief to FINALLY get something other than black, silver and black !!!!!

Bought the orange IPod Nano Touch 16GB - and it looks awesome in the golden orange color, perfect for the gym

Nice fresh color - guys over 40 just looks so pale in their conservative insecure color choices - black, grey, White and blue !!

Not saying all men should wear pink and yellow, but let's lighten up a bit

----
Vh/Regards
Claus - TapaTalk on my Ip4
The golden orange/yellow is a good color, i actually considered it... but still it would be SWEEEEET to have a white nano again. Also, even though black is overkill it never goes out of style.
Le Buzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 04:15 AM   #25
CHSeifert
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Buzz View Post
The golden orange/yellow is a good color, i actually considered it... but still it would be SWEEEEET to have a white nano again. Also, even though black is overkill it never goes out of style.
I do certainly agree with you - black will NEVER go out of style !
And a White Nano would be sweet, problem is that for my use - mainly use my Nano for the gym - the White would get dirty very fast. I lift weights and use Technogym machines and even though I use the 'Postmen finger gloves', my fingers still get dirty from touching the handles. So quite satisfied I got the golden orange Nano.

I've already have a couple of women approaching me and complementing the Nano and asking me how I like it They all carry their iPhone 4 or iPod Touch and I've seen plenty drop them on the floor, while on the cross trainer/cycle/running machine.

IPod Touch and iPhones are great devices - just not while working out in the gym or running in the woods/park in my experience !

I do think the graphite Nano Touch looks pretty elegant in an understated way though and I almost ordered that, until I saw the orange Nano was more golden than plain orange

Last edited by angelwatt; Jul 24, 2011 at 04:16 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod