Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:00 AM   #1
stewart715
macrumors 6502

Fast User Switching Not Working

For some reason, when I log a network user on a client Mac, it works fine -- but when I go to switch to another network user account (without logging off the original network user), it tells me they can't be logged in because of an "error". When I log the other person out, I can then go ahead and login that second user just fine.

Is it possible for two people from the same network to be logged in at the same time (fast user switching, that is) on the same computer?
stewart715 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:04 PM   #2
CrazyCleave
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart715 View Post
For some reason, when I log a network user on a client Mac, it works fine -- but when I go to switch to another network user account (without logging off the original network user), it tells me they can't be logged in because of an "error". When I log the other person out, I can then go ahead and login that second user just fine.

Is it possible for two people from the same network to be logged in at the same time (fast user switching, that is) on the same computer?
No, Fast User Switching does not support multiple *network* accounts. (Unless the second account authenticates on a second OSX server.) You can't have two credentials mounting the same network volume.

Cleave
CrazyCleave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Randy53215
macrumors newbie

Hmmm not sure if it's different when using a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 as opposed to a Mac OS X server.

Let me clear up my situation...

We just got 20 Mac Mini's for our lab, we also purchased a Mac Mini Server but we have to get the Mac Mini's in the lab ASAP for student projects then integrate the Mac server later.

However can someone explain to me why on one of our Macbook Pro's we can login 4+ network accounts without any problem yet on our Mac Mini's we cannot do that. This is just really puzzling and there seems to be no answer anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Randy53215 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking