Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadguru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Cupertino California
Just a poll to see if the OtterBox is appropriate looking to be pulled from the suit of an executive or does it have the "construction worker" look. Should an executive choose a Piel Frama style of case?? This is just a stupid poll to get the opinions of others on the style of cases for a future write up on my blog.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
I personally think the Otterbox is too big and construction worker style to be classy enough for an executive.

Then again, if you are an important executive, I don't think anyone cares what type of case you have.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
No...The Otterbox clearly identifies you as being part of the unwashed working class and not the management elite from which all intelligent and reasonable thought arises in any business. Once your colleagues and superiors see you carrying that bit of hard hat gear, you career will be sidetracked and you will be middle management forever. ( and good luck at holding on to the middle ) They will also start making snide comments and wondering if you are pro-union.

... just kidding I see executives with Toughbooks, no ties, sandals and backpacks all the time. For the most part, in most professions such divisions have fallen.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I am not sure on the image of the otterbox, my main concern with them is bulk. I have a splash cruiser case and it works very well. In black, I'd say, it'd be very executive-ish.

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
I went into a store two days ago intending to buy an Otterbox...but I asked to see one on a phone first. They had one behind the counter, and ...well, the Otterbox is Really Big. Clunky. Bulky. Large. The very antithesis of the iPhone's aesthetics. Yes, it would protect something from being run over by a tank -- but at what price!

I guess it depends on what kind of executive you are, but I think there are sleeker options out there that look more the part.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I guy walked pass me at a food court wearing a iphone 4 in a otterbox. I felt sorry for the tiny phone. It looks stupid, the otterbox is ugly ugly ugly.

ipadguru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
Cupertino California
too funny

My thought exactly, the OtterBox is just too big and clunky for me. Protects the hell out the phone, but it feels like a cinder block up to my head. I know some people are thinking "who cares" its just a phone and or phone case. But the truth of the matter is I know there are some executives or high class people that would never be seen with an OtterBox to their ear. I just wanted to see the response of others, or how those people actually feel....:D

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
My thought exactly, the OtterBox is just too big and clunky for me. Protects the hell out the phone, but it feels like a cinder block up to my head. I know some people are thinking "who cares" its just a phone and or phone case. But the truth of the matter is I know there are some executives or high class people that would never be seen with an OtterBox to their ear. I just wanted to see the response of others, or how those people actually feel....:D

Totally agree. The fact is if you have that much money I'd get a good looking case and if it breaks, replace it, not a biggie.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
At my work, nearly all the executives have either no case or a very slim, low profile case. I think a big factor for them is appearance, and not talking about a case either.

I think with my exec/VP, stressing about what kind of case to get or which case looks the best reflects poorly on them. You know, VP's shouldn't waste their time fretting over their phones and stuff. That, and they're execs. They make more than enough to replace a broken/stolen phone. Us wee folk can do this since there is a considerable gap in salaries. For the most part, our execs are pretty much "whatever" with their phones and could care less about the type of case, if any, they use.

And yes. No exec should ever use an Otterbox case unless they're constantly working on site or i a warehouse. OB's are more for the working class folk than execs p

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
Just a poll to see if the OtterBox is appropriate looking to be pulled from the suit of an executive or does it have the "construction worker" look. Should an executive choose a Piel Frama style of case?? This is just a stupid poll to get the opinions of others on the style of cases for a future write up on my blog.

pretty sure you would get laughed at/ look cheap

slim case or naked case = shows you take care of your valuables but also that you can afford to replace it if you drop it

i3igsmooth5769

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
although you can get black, which would be more discreet...as others have mentioned....it adds too much bulk and gives it more of a rugged appeal than executive. Although i hate leather folio type cases....thats what i associate with the executive look.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.