Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sbary128

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
I got to know that NOOSY is released a HDMI adapter for iPad, iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4. I want to get one for my iPad, so I can share HD movies, photos on a big screen with my family. Anybody reviewed it and can anybody give me some suggestions? It says the NOOSY HDMI adapter is sold at 59.00USD, very sky high price, so I must think three times before buy it.

ipad4ever

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Got Noosy from eBay. It is same as Apple's VGA adapter with sound. It is not HDCP compliance therefore it will not play any iTune HD movies. Save your money unless you want to jailbreak your iPad.

Pablo13579

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I bought and returned it...

Did not work for me after testing on unlocked 720p content outputting to 50" Panasonic and Samsung plasmas from an iPad.

There was a serious horizontal hold issue which meant the edge of the image was in the middle of the screen, and other areas of the image had black smears all over them.

Retailer kindly provided a full refund after sending pictures of the distortion.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Did not work for me after testing on unlocked 720p content outputting to 50" Panasonic and Samsung plasmas from an iPad.

There was a serious horizontal hold issue which meant the edge of the image was in the middle of the screen, and other areas of the image had black smears all over them.

Retailer kindly provided a full refund after sending pictures of the distortion.

Eventually someone will release one that works, and hopefully will not cost more than this one.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Why would you want a $59 HDMI adapter (plus cable), when you can get an AppleTV to accomplish the same thing and much more for $99?

Sure, I can imagine someone, somewhere, needing one - but in your case, the AppleTV is exactly the tool for the job, and it works GREAT.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
On this topic.

Despite what other Tablet makers fit into their devices over the next year+

Will apple never fit an HDMI out onto the iPad as standard due to their Apple TV do you think?

Pablo13579

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Why would you want a $59 HDMI adapter (plus cable), when you can get an AppleTV to accomplish the same thing and much more for $99?

Sure, I can imagine someone, somewhere, needing one - but in your case, the AppleTV is exactly the tool for the job, and it works GREAT.

That's true, assuming that Airplay on iOS 4.2 works as advertised then the new Apple TV will be the best solution for HDMI.

I'm going to wait for the reviews to confirm that the wireless Airplay connection is stable for an HD source, as I've had some stability issues using an Airport Express to stream much smaller MP3's before.

tw75

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Got Noosy from eBay. It is same as Apple's VGA adapter with sound. It is not HDCP compliance therefore it will not play any iTune HD movies. Save your money unless you want to jailbreak your iPad.

I don't own any itunes movies or tv shows and don't intend to in the future, so i don't care about HDCP. How is the video quality and does it charge the iPhone/iPad?

Pablo13579

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I'll try uploading a photo of the output from the Noosy adapter. The black bar about three quarters of the way to the right of the screen is actually the rightmost edge of the image, with the left hand side of the image bleeding on to the right of the screen.

Also, the black shadows on the actresses face are produced by the adapter and shimmer around the screen as the file plays.

This is on a Panasonic V10.

Attachments

• noosy.jpg
    noosy.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 179

veletron

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
Noosy hdmi

Hi

This box of tricks works OK if you have the right HDMI cable and the right HDTV, and you jailbreak your device. Before jailbreaking I got a fuzzy picture half off the screen (and that was after having tried several different cables and three different TV's!). After jailbreaking I was able to use TVOut2 in Cydia to center the image and had it working fairly well.

It is incredibly fussy about HDMI cables. I tried 4 before I found one that would work!! You need an older HDMI 1.2 cable. 1.3 will also work, but 1.4 wont. Additionally, I found that 1.3b HDMI cables also would not work.

I would rather that the unit connected to the iPhones 30-pin connector via a cable that locks into place (rather than connecting directly into the bottom of the phone) The current mechanism means that with an unweildy HDMI connection in place, the Noosy while box may become disconnected from the phone. The current method means that handling the phone once the cable is in place is not really possible, and as such playing games on the big screen does not work well.

To be honest, if I had done the industrial design on this, then the converter box would have been included within a 2M long cable with an HDMI on one end and an Apple 30-pinner on the other end.

Picture quality is good (way better than composite!). For many, the need to Jailbreak in order to get the picture controls in TvOut2 so that they can get a reasonable (and centred) image will make this a non starter. If you do jailbreak, get mxTube, download some HD videos and astound your mates with the picture quality.

I get the impression that its just a DisplayPort-->HDMI adapter.

I guess I would give it 2 out of 5

As for why you would cough up £40 for this rather than buy an AppleTV easy... because its smaller. I'm not going to cart my appleTV box to my hotel room while away on hol/bus where-as I would cart the iphone and noosy.

It does not charge the phone (unfortunately) which does limit its usefulness. The adapter also apparently pulls 150mA from the phone, which is going to kill your iphones battery pretty quick.... When they did not put a Mini USB port in the Noosy casing aklso is anyones guess.

I've since put iOS4.2.1 on my phone and since there is no untethered jailbreak for this (on an iPhone4) as yet, I have not jailbroken. I cant get any picture worth watching at-all with the device with iOS4.2.1 on it.

Nigel

Last edited:

ipad4ever

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
My noosy stopped working after upgrade to 4.2.1. I researched on the net for solution and found that they are using a non-authorized chip that will not work with 4.2.1

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
On this topic.

Despite what other Tablet makers fit into their devices over the next year+

Will apple never fit an HDMI out onto the iPad as standard due to their Apple TV do you think?

That's the problem Apple customers have........ Apple themselves.

Whilst every other tablet by competitors could have HDMI out, and a lot of them do see to already)

Apple won't want to, as it will then damage their sales of their Apple TV product.

So, do they be nice and fit HDMI out so you can take your iPad round a friends house and watch the movie on your iPad onto their 50" TV in 1080p

Or do they put "Apple the Company" first and deny their users this feature, telling them instead they should buy the Apple TV and cart that around with them everywhere.

I hope they put their customers 1st and give them the option.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The biggest problem with the Apple TV solution for sharing at friends' places is that you need to get both the Apple TV and the iPad onto their WiFi network in order to get everything going. A simple cable solution would require no WiFi hookup whatsoever. Since a lot of people don't know their WiFi password (or it is hex) this is a big barrier to using Apple TV.

The Green Mac

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2009
Unlike others, I love my Noosy HDMi adapter. I havent seen any problems yet. Maybe I got lucky. Im using a Pioneer Plasma and Monoprice 1.3 cables (3ft).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.