Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Im trying to fix an iPod for someone down the hall in my dorm. Its a 3g 15 gig. He has a Windows PC, and when he plugs it in, it would just flash the Do not diconnect logo and freeze up, I plugged it into my powermac and it does the same thing. When I unplug it, it still stays at that screen and I cant even reboot the iPod. Any ideas? Thanks

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
You've held down play and menu to reset? Are you using it via firewire or usb? How long has it been working on his PC? It might be an internal hard drive error. Does he have applecare?

If all else fails, throw it in the trash and buy a new one.

Cheers.

stevey500

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Or buy applecare for it and send it to apple to repair it.. my firewire controller failed on my ipod and i send it in for repair.. 20gb 3g. :( Stupid DLO rubber case I had on it caused the port to not go in all the way.. plugged the other end if the cable into my mac's firewire port.. backlight flashed... the ipod was froze up, rebooted it, it was DEAD, as in the battery was dead. i plugged it in and let it charge for a while, plugged it back into the mac .. no detection, nothing... it still functioned perfectly but now it just would connect to the pc via firewire anymore. USB still worked but I dont have a USB 2.0 card and the 3g doesnt charge through USB so I sent it in to get the firewire fixed...

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
If you cant reset it, wait until it's battery is totally dead, then plug it in and use the iPod updater program to do a restore.

Restore can fix many things including low battery performance.

You you bothered to look at Apple iPod support site?

Reduaram

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2004
Victoria Canada
3g 15 gig iPod keeps freezing with Apple icon

This is occurring after launching it from deep sleep (after not being used for a few days), while in the charger or not. It takes many resets and a lot of swearing before it wakes up.
I've tried the Apple iPod support site and as usually gets close, but doesn't address the problem.
I've also tried the reset, erase and restore and the same thing happens. When I called the store that I bought it from and explained the situation to the guy he replied: "Throw it away and buy a new one" After resisting the urge to lose it on him, I stated that if these things only last 2 years after paying nearly CDN$600 for it the LAST THING ON EARTH I WOULD BUY IS ANOTHER IPOD! But I don't think he grasped that concept.
Is there anyone here who knows a couple of tricks I can try before it gets fed to the bandsaw?

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Mine did this three times in one week.
I think the culprit was moisture in the air because my ipod bearing classmates had similar problems during that week.
I let the battery drain down and left it alone for 5 days then I plugged it in to my iMac and used the software restore on it the latest 2005-03-23 I think it was.
I had to eject it using the disk utility the first few times I tried...
Now it is a happy good little ipod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.