Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Too bad the anniversary of the original Mac has come and gone. The Mac mini would have been a great intro last year. But Apple could have done a limited edition with the Mac mini guts and a 9" LCD screen in a "white" old Mac box as a limited edition. At $2000 to $3000 they would probably had a hard time keeping up with demand.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
What I'd like to try more is stuffing one in a multipartite Mac, such as a Quadra desktop or whatnot, in a stealth fashion. The Mac mini would fit without much or any trouble, and many of the original ports (power, Ehernet, modem, VGA) could be wired up for new use, and even the ADB and serial with adapters, though taking a cue from this portable C64 and running USB and FireWire with nonstandard connectors would work admirably as well. A Quadra 650 would be sized quite well for a Mac mini insertion -- its SCSI port, if not hooked up to an adapter to actually work for SCSI, could be adapted with a custom port replicator to get the USB and FireWire out of there. Getting drives and stuff working if you want them would take some heavy modding.

vollspacken

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2002
Boogie-Down Berlintown
I tried put the 9" screen and the guts from a Powerbook 540c into an SE/30, but the display was too wide (it has the electronics on the sides and you can't dremel that stuff off...)

and: I don't want to kill myself fiddling with a high voltage CRT ;)

vSpacken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.