Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:19 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

The Mac Mini: What You Need to Know

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: The Mac Mini: What You Need to Know
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Nermal

Good to know that it seems to take normal RAM
Nermal is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:55 AM   #3
2GMario
macrumors regular

why does it seam like ram is consistently the only thing that upsets me about apple...

in my ibook, i had to get rid of 128mb to put in a 512mb chip
in my G5 i had to get rid of 2x128mb chips to put in 4x512mb chips

now, if i get a mac mini, which i probably will, i cant use the 128mb i took out of the G5 cause theres no available slots, and yet again, id have to take out the 256mb chip and put something else in.

nothing but waste, and the chips i take out, are so small to begin with, they have no resale value, so they end up sitting here on my desk collecting dust...

atleast offer us a option to order the machine WITHOUT any ram at all.

-Mario
Old Jan 14, 2005, 01:06 AM   #4
rasp
macrumors regular

yes, the 256M thing bugs me too, it (as with all of the iLine) should have 512 and the power products should have 1G as baseline.

But, that's just the way it goes with apple, assume the included ram is a throw away and replace with (much) cheaper 3rd party stuff.
rasp is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 03:17 AM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G5

The day WILL come when Apple eats the cost of making 512 their bottom-end for RAM. The OS X experience will be MUCH improved when that happens.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:17 AM   #6
Vonnie
macrumors regular

I still wonder how easy it is to open de mac mini, and install a ram module yourself? Or a bigger hard disk?
Vonnie is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 04:53 AM   #7
kerb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnie
I still wonder how easy it is to open de mac mini, and install a ram module yourself? Or a bigger hard disk?
all current Apple models are really easy to install RAM into so I can't see them departing from that.

also seeing as they run on laptop hard disks I think 80 is where they max out. correct me if i'm wrong.

if anyone does make a styled harddrive that sits beneath the Mac mini that would be very cool.
512MB iPod Shuffle
kerb is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 07:21 AM   #8
Vonnie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerb
all current Apple models are really easy to install RAM into so I can't see them departing from that.
Yeah, I know, but on the Apple site it also says: "Memory, AirPort Extreme and internal Bluetooth upgrades must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider; fees may apply." I don't see that on the pages of other products. So is this just a warranty/make-an-extra-buck thing, or is it genuinely hard to open the box?

Fun thing to note, internal bluetooth isn't an BTO option only, you can upgrade later!
Vonnie is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 08:36 AM   #9
nagromme
macrumors G5

More to the point... how easily can they TELL if you've opened the case, and thus refuse (or charge for) warranty service?

I see no signs of stickers/seals, but if it's easy to leave tell-tale scratches or something, that could be a problem with voiding your warranty.

Hopefully they only mean you SHOULD get expert help--not that you have to or lose your warranty.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:11 PM   #10
solvs
macrumors 601

It isn't can't, it's shouldn't.

Additional memory should be installed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:55 AM   #11
nagromme
macrumors G5

I'd want to be 100% SURE about the warranty issue before opening my case... but it sounds like they'd word it more strongly--and mention voiding the warranty clearly--if that was truly an issue. Good news if so!

In which case, these warnings may just be Apple thinking ahead to these things possibly being mass-adopted by people without a lot of technical skill. If that happens, the extra warning could save Apple--and users--some grief. Not to mention encouraging getting your RAM upgraded at purchase, which does make a better OS X experience.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:01 AM   #12
3Memos
Banned

I really did wish Apple made the Mac mini just a tad larger, to fit in 2 RAM slots, as well as go with a higher performing 3.5" HD, so we could expand to at least 400GB. Currently, we are stuck at 80GB for a while.
3Memos is offline   0
Old Jan 16, 2005, 05:25 AM   #13
solvs
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Memos
I really did wish Apple made the Mac mini just a tad larger, to fit in 2 RAM slots, as well as go with a higher performing 3.5" HD, so we could expand to at least 400GB. Currently, we are stuck at 80GB for a while.
100GB, but it's only 5400 and it's expensive. I wish the same, but maybe the eMac will go G5. I could live with the notebook cd drive, but the 4200RPM kills it for me. And the 1 RAM slot is adding insult to injury, not to mention the 32MB 9200 (but that was kinda expected).

I have no doubt it will sell, I've already sold some people on the idea, but it's not for us. Maybe the next G5 Tower will be cheaper. And/or smaller.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 07:04 AM   #14
aswitcher
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to aswitcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Memos

I think we just have to accept that Apple designed this machine for a niche, and that even though they probably could have made it 2 inches taller to accomodate a 3.5 HDD, extra cooling, more ram etc, they didn't because they don't want to hurt iMac and G5PM sales anymore than this will already.

Personally if this baby was a few inches taller I couldn't care less if it had a 3.5" HDD with 160 gig as an option, 2 ram slots to accomodate a gig of two cheaper 512 sticks, and of course a much better graphics card - 64 at least...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion