Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:02 PM   #1
gkarris
macrumors 604

New Home Theater Receiver Question

I was over at Sony Style and the new HT Receivers (I have an old one which has only composite and S-Video) have both HDMI and Component.

My current HT is only wired for Component.

If I buy one of these receivers and hook something up HDMI (like the new AppleTV), will it output the signal on Component which I can send to my projector?

Thanks.....
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:00 AM   #2
KevinC867
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkarris View Post
I was over at Sony Style and the new HT Receivers (I have an old one which has only composite and S-Video) have both HDMI and Component.

My current HT is only wired for Component.

If I buy one of these receivers and hook something up HDMI (like the new AppleTV), will it output the signal on Component which I can send to my projector?

Thanks.....
I think you are out of luck. Most modern receivers will up-convert analog video sources to HDMI, but they usually don't convert HDMI to analog. Also, the HDCP copy protection used by most HDMI sources forbids converting the signal to an unprotected High Def output. At best, they might be allowed to convert to a Standard Definition component/composite output.

But the older Apple TV is still easy to find at good prices and it provides component outputs.
KevinC867 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 07:41 AM   #3
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

I think KevinC867 is right, most HDMI receivers will not down-convert HDMI to component (or other analog) outputs. I know my Denon won't do it.
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:09 AM   #4
georgee2face
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I think KevinC867 is right, most HDMI receivers will not down-convert HDMI to component (or other analog) outputs. I know my Denon won't do it.
This is coorect...and neither will the pioneer elites.
georgee2face is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:02 AM   #5
rayward
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC867 View Post
I think you are out of luck. Most modern receivers will up-convert analog video sources to HDMI, but they usually don't convert HDMI to analog. Also, the HDCP copy protection used by most HDMI sources forbids converting the signal to an unprotected High Def output. At best, they might be allowed to convert to a Standard Definition component/composite output.

But the older Apple TV is still easy to find at good prices and it provides component outputs.
The old model has connections for HDMI, component, plus an analog audio out which can be used by a receiver's 2nd zone if so equipped. The ATV2 has only HDMI or on optical audio out.

AFAIK, the advantages of the new model over the old are that it's cheaper; runs cooler (lower power usage); and has the ability to rent TV shows (you can rent and buy movies, but only buy TV shows on the old model).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater