Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1
cowbellallen
macrumors regular

Cheap iPod charger? Electricity question

I completely fail at electricity, and I figured someone here might have an answer for me.

I'm going on a trip this weekend and won't be able to bring a laptop with me. This is a problem because I'd like to bring my iPod, but don't have a wall charger for it and I'm trying to save the ~$30 I see these things going for on the Apple website.

It's my understanding that anything that connects to a computer to charge uses 5V power. I work at a small spy store and we have tons of products that connect to a computer to charge, but some also have a 5V power supply included (a USB cable with a small wall charger are included).

Would it be possible to use my current iPod cable to connect to the 5V power supply that comes with our product to charge my iPod. If not, why?

While were at it, I'm super curious as to why some power supplies are massive while others are so small. We have simple 12v power supplies in my store that are the size of a brownie, while my Presonus Firepod power supply has a huge brick in the middle of it. Could someone explain this to me?

Regards,

Allen
cowbellallen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors G5

Basically, if it's a USB port it can charge and iPod.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:48 PM   #3
FixYouriTunes
macrumors member

I think if you're trying to save money this is a really good deal. I have several of these from amazon and I give them as gifts for friends as they are so cheap I buy a big stack of them.

http://amzn.to/9AYAtD

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod