Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Anglican-Mac
macrumors member

FaceTime camera and Skype

Will the FaceTime camera work with any apps such as skype, or is it restricted to FaceTime only?

I dont have an iPhone 4 yet, but I might be able to upgrade soon. This would be a contributing factor to deciding to upgrade.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglican-Mac View Post
Will the FaceTime camera work with any apps such as skype, or is it restricted to FaceTime only?

I dont have an iPhone 4 yet, but I might be able to upgrade soon. This would be a contributing factor to deciding to upgrade.
Skype hasnt been updated to use the front facing camera for video calls. I really hope soon though.
There are a few IM clients and other apps that do take advantage of the camera and allow for videochat without relying just on Facetime.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:39 AM   #3
lsvtecjohn3
macrumors 6502a

You can use the Tango app if the other person has it too and Yahoo messenger also. Those are the only other app that I use. Can't use Skype yet.
lsvtecjohn3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:06 AM   #4
bina12834
macrumors regular

Fring also works if both people have it
bina12834 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:05 AM   #5
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

I wish Skype would allow for the use of the camera(s). I have many friends over seas that use skype.

Fring, and the like, are only applicable if they have a smart phone and won't work with those on PC/Mac desktops. So that eliminates them for over all usage.

Still waiting.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:06 PM   #6
jacollins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglican-Mac View Post
To clarify, there is no such thing as a FaceTime camera. If you're talking about the iPhone 4 camera, it works with any app that supports it. As mentioned above, Skype does not yet.
jacollins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:06 PM   #7
shandyman
macrumors 601

fring is a very poor quality though.

downside with skype is it will probably take them a year, just like with push notifications!
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:12 PM   #8
GodsRedemption
macrumors newbie

it shouldnt be long before skype send an update out so you can use the forward facing camera unless they are having some software issues or apple restrict it from 3rd parties
GodsRedemption is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 02:53 PM   #9
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsRedemption View Post
it shouldnt be long before skype send an update out so you can use the forward facing camera unless they are having some software issues or apple restrict it from 3rd parties
did you see my post? took them a year to update to use push notifications. we could be waiting at least that long for them to use on phone cameras.
shandyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816

Can't speak to Skype, but i'm digging Facetime now that the Mac lineups have the capability too. It is so easy to connect and use. Downside is Apple users only...

Seems like a good reason to get non-Apple lovers to switch
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:08 AM   #11
ItsJustafnPhone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPilot View Post
Can't speak to Skype, but i'm digging Facetime now that the Mac lineups have the capability too. It is so easy to connect and use. Downside is Apple users only...

Seems like a good reason to get non-Apple lovers to switch
not really, us PC people have had video chatting for decades now

skype + logitech 720p webcam + t3 internet connection on a 24' monitor >>>>> facetime novelty

Last edited by ItsJustafnPhone; Nov 20, 2010 at 04:14 AM.
ItsJustafnPhone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Mliii
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustafnPhone View Post
not really, us PC people have had video chatting for decades now

skype + logitech 720p webcam + t3 internet connection on a 24' monitor >>>>> facetime novelty
On the Mac, there is also video chat- iChat- which works well, but is limited to computer to computer.
What's nice about the FaceTime Beta for the Mac is the ability to use it computer to phone or phone to computer. I use it daily and have found it to be a very useful tool for keeping in touch with those far away.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone