Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Lukasdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
My shinny new Mac Pro Quad 2.8 defaults to the built in speaker and not my attached external logitec speakers. Every time I want to watch or listen to something I have to navigate to the sounds panel and select Line Out.
Everything is connected properly and this never happened on my MacBook Pro.
thoughts? Suggestions?
thanks!
~L

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 10.23.47 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-11-16 at 10.23.47 PM.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 173

TheDoc

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
I believe this is a problem with all 2010 Mac Pros (at least that I've read).

I also need to reset preferences each time the machine restarts.

Garen

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010
Los Angeles Area
I have a 2010 6 core with Bose 5.1 surround sound system (USB) and have no problem with default Bose Sound System. Try zapping the Nvram it might work.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
No problem here either with a 2010 quad. The startup chime is via the internal speaker, but by time I get to the desktop the default output audio is my Apogee Duet.

crw

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
I have the same issue. Every time I restart my Mac Pro switches back to the internal speakers from my optical out.

Pro tip: If you activate the volume menu extra, you can option-click it to get a list of outputs. Much quicker than going to System Preferences.

~Lukasdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
I have a 2010 6 core with Bose 5.1 surround sound system (USB) and have no problem with default Bose Sound System. Try zapping the Nvram it might work.

thanks everyone! could someone please explain what zapping the Nvram is?

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
thanks everyone! could someone please explain what zapping the Nvram is?

Non-volatile RAM - it is normally called PRAM (Parameter RAM). It is memory that holds HHW configuration details that the EFI (firmware) uses.

To reset it, hold down Cmd, Option, P & R at the same time while the machine boots (do it before apple shows on the gray screen)/ After you get the second startup chime, release the keys and it will boot normally

EDIT -here's the official Apple tech note:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Its permission on the /Library/Preferences/Audio directory.

My post in another forum:

I deleted the Audio dir and created a new one as root in the terminal. Can do it like this:

sudo mkdir /Library/Preferences/Audio

then set permissions, er owner:

sudo chown -R _coreaudiod:admin /Library/Preferences/Audio

Then change the input in the sound pref pane using an admin account. Should create the file.

~Lukasdp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Its permission on the /Library/Preferences/Audio directory.

My post in another forum:

I deleted the Audio dir and created a new one as root in the terminal. Can do it like this:

sudo mkdir /Library/Preferences/Audio

then set permissions, er owner:

sudo chown -R _coreaudiod:admin /Library/Preferences/Audio

Then change the input in the sound pref pane using an admin account. Should create the file.

aces, ill try that when I get home. thanks!

simplymuzik3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
I have the same problem. 6 Core 2010. I have to option click on the sound icon at the top and change output each time. Good thing I only reboot once a week.

loungecorps

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
I have experienced this issue also. But only with the headphone jack on the front of the case. Since I now have all my equipment setup through the back and sometimes use headphones, it's nice not to have to manually switch back and forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.